PDA

View Full Version : Piston ring replacment

jdmman
10-29-2011, 09:35 AM
im putting new bearings in a block and i was thinking of replacing the piston rings while i'm at it. My question is, if i wanted to replace the piston rings would it just be a matter of removing the piston, installing the new rings and reinserting the piston into the block? I have a ring compressor and i can rent a ridge reamer, the cylinder walls are fine too

sleeper 4 door
10-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Yes assuming everything else is fine

Dead Bird
10-29-2011, 03:46 PM
You're supposed to have everything mic'd out to make sure it is all within usable or measurable spec.

Also, don't forget to clock the rings either to the manufacterer's reccomendations, or oem honda's.

Whiteman51x
10-29-2011, 06:17 PM
you should run a hone through it just to break the glaze and allow the new rings a good surface to seat.

take it to a machine shop if you dont want to hone it yourself, they will also mic your pistons and bore for you probably at no extra charge.

INTEGRA DC2
10-30-2011, 09:51 AM
you should run a hone through it just to break the glaze and allow the new rings a good surface to seat.

take it to a machine shop if you dont want to hone it yourself, they will also mic your pistons and bore for you probably at no extra charge.

This ^^^

DaLSV500
10-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Definitely need to mic it, for piston to wall clearance.

jdmman
10-30-2011, 11:43 AM
alright looks like i'll be calling machine shops pretty soon

Whiteman51x
10-30-2011, 02:57 PM
yeah a quick hone should clean it up, IF THE WALLS ARE STILL GOOD.

machine shop will hone it for pretty cheap, like 10-20 a cylinder, that will most likely include measuring the pistons and your bore out of round etc. for the clearance you want.

look up the specs and see if you are good, then give them the specs, like i said S & S machine does machine work for santan honda and they know their honda motors, ask for todd, AWESOME guy.

INTEGRA DC2
10-30-2011, 06:33 PM
yeah a quick hone should clean it up, IF THE WALLS ARE STILL GOOD.

machine shop will hone it for pretty cheap, like 10-20 a cylinder, that will most likely include measuring the pistons and your bore out of round etc. for the clearance you want.

look up the specs and see if you are good, then give them the specs, like i said S & S machine does machine work for santan honda and they know their honda motors, ask for todd, AWESOME guy.

X2 should be pretty inexpensive but make sure you have them measure everything out! and if we are going to start throwing names out here i say ya hit up Tri-tech or B&B machine in mesa. Sorry Whiteman51x i have just had to many issues with S&S

HeikDiesel
10-31-2011, 12:49 PM
Cylinders should be checked for roundness and should always have a fresh hone for new rings. You should make sure there is no crown at the top of the quench area. Rings should be individually gapped in their perspective cylinder and clocked properly on install. This isn't just a slap on rings and go kinda deal...........

Mr.Burner
10-31-2011, 01:24 PM
Yes you need to have your cylinder walls checked for out of roundness. If they are, you need to bore over and get a new piston. Then gap your rings and install correctly. Your basically rebuilding the motor at that point. Which you should be doing if your already replacing bearings.