PDA

View Full Version : SRS light resistor for aftermarket steering wheel

killer_instinctz
11-06-2011, 05:27 PM
sorry guys, I did a search, and all of the information I found was all over the place.

But anyways, i bought an aftermarket steering wheel and hub, and I have it installed and it works great, except for the fact that the SRS light is on, and it is really bugging me. I have searched and searched and all the information I found was really confusing, no one said exactly what to do.

I already tried fixing it yesterday morning but was unable to find the right wire, and understand the srs reset instructions.
I tried again 2 times today and still can't get it, I can get the srs to reset, but I'm not sure if I'm putting the resistor in the right place, or I'm using the wrong resistors

But after further researching, I'm pretty sure I know what to do for the most part, I have to put in the resistor and then reset the srs memory, my main question is... where do I put the resistor exactly?I've tried putting it into the wire that goes into the srs system on the oem steering wheel, but that hasn't worked, I've tried with a 1/4 watt 2.2 ohm resistor (a guy on a prelude forum said this would work), and a 1 watt 10 ohm resistor (only other resistor radio shack had that was even remotely close). was the 1/4 watt 2.2 ohm too weak? was the 1 watt too weak and the 10 ohm too strong? or have I just been putting the resistors in the wrong place to begin with? I have read a few people say something about it being under the radio, but I don't see how that has anything to do with it, the wire I'm using goes straight to the airbag, which should be the right one right?

I just ordered a 2 ohm 5 watt, 3.3 ohm 5 watt, 2 ohm 10 watt, 2.2 10 watt, and 3.3 10 watt all of which are what people were saying worked (see what I mean by the information I found being all over the place?)

this is where I have been putting the resistors
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/bluespyd3r/0b78a9ff.jpg

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

monstercb7
11-07-2011, 02:50 AM
Get an ohm meter find the resistance thru your steering wheel then go to a hobby store and find the resistor just above the ohm reading you got and the srs resets and test its self everytime you turn the key.

killer_instinctz
11-08-2011, 04:29 PM
thanks, i'll give it a try when i get the chance. anyone else have any suggestions?

RDP30000
11-08-2011, 11:12 PM
Newer Honda's will not shut off the SRS light once its been tripped just by restarting the car, you have to reset it. Leaving the battery disconnected won't do it either since capacitors tend to act as little batteries retaining memory blah blah blah...

Here is how you reset the SRS trouble code
http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/do-it-yourself/243612-diy-scs-service-connector-and-srs-reset.html

All the threads I read said 2.2 ohm resistor

killer_instinctz
11-09-2011, 08:10 AM
yea I reset the srs not the car, I've done my research, only problem is I'm not sure if I'm putting the resistor in the right place or if I'm just using the wrong resistor

bryan720
11-09-2011, 08:37 AM
I make plug and play kits for the S2000

Nate_AP1
11-10-2011, 01:47 AM
Its been a few years, so my memory might be a bit foggy - but if I recall, you need a 2ohm resistor in place of the airbag (looks like you got the right connector), and then do the reset.

Wattage shouldn't really matter - its a signal wire - if the wattage wasnt enough, you'd get some smoke outta the resistor.

Ensure you are doing the reset correctly, and that the resistor is making good contact - I think I bought some spade connectors and rigged it up to where it fit nicely.

I remember the reset being a pain in the asshole...

GL

killer_instinctz
11-14-2011, 01:07 PM
the reset actually wasn't that bad, Bryan720 hooked me up with a resistor and it worked perfectly, I guess I was just using the wrong resistor

insanemechanic
11-16-2011, 12:37 AM
yea i need to fix this in my ap1 too ... just put a quick release on

killer_instinctz
11-16-2011, 10:31 PM
hit up Bryan720, his resistors work perfectly

insanemechanic
11-17-2011, 01:55 AM
will do thanks much