PDA

View Full Version : d15b1 knocking

monSTIer
11-28-2011, 02:27 AM
Ok so after 2500-3000 rpm the engine starts to knock. All stock and original d15b1 in a 1990 civic hatch. If I pull the number 1 plug the knock stops but if I pull the 2,3, or 4 plugs it still knocks. I replaced the number one big end bearing and still the same knock. With the new bearing there is .0010 clearance. When I bought the car it was not running. I was told the car was facing down hill and the driver was slipping the clutch in reverse to stop from going down hill while talking to someone and accidentally pop the clutch. At this point the car stopped running. After buying it I found the the distributer was bad so put in one out of a junk yard and the car ran but was knocking. Any ideas? I may just have the engine completely rebuilt. Does anyone know of a good shop in north phoenix that uses factory Honda parts?

SlowEFSedan
11-28-2011, 02:46 AM
Why not swap to a z6 or something. A little more money for more power and its not that hard to odb1 and you can use ur tranny.

monSTIer
11-28-2011, 03:45 AM
This is strickly for mpg. I have a ek hatch k20a2 with Jackson SC for my speed project and my tacoma is going SC also so I need to keep something that will get good gas mileage.

540dude
11-28-2011, 02:53 PM
This is strickly for mpg. I have a ek hatch k20a2 with Jackson SC for my speed project and my tacoma is going SC also so I need to keep something that will get good gas mileage.

link to ek build? :)

monSTIer
11-28-2011, 08:52 PM
link to ek build? :)
I will start the thread when I get a little farther along.

C.R.A.Y.
11-28-2011, 08:55 PM
just buy a new motor, after youre done doing machine work and parts to do it right youre too much into it... when you can find someone who pulled that motor for a swap for less then 200 bucks

monSTIer
11-29-2011, 12:15 AM
just buy a new motor, after youre done doing machine work and parts to do it right youre too much into it... when you can find someone who pulled that motor for a swap for less then 200 bucks
If If could get a "new motor" for $200 I would but most of the used running motors out there leak and have unknown miles and unknown problems. I don't have the time to spare so I only want to do this once. If I half a$$ and lose one days work I will have shot myself in the foot. I have heard of people rebuilding them for cheap so I just wanted to get a idea of what it would cost.
Any know of a good shop on north phoenix/glendale/peiora area.

sleeper 4 door
11-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Single cam motors run for eveer

monSTIer
11-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Single cam motors run for eveer

Well not all of them. Mine has 220k and is knocking like its the cops. Can I get any real info from anyone on here.

C.R.A.Y.
11-29-2011, 10:12 PM
ok real info:

Its knocking like the police... so the crank is probably toast if it cant be micro polished, so youll need one of those

say you find one for 30-40 bucks cool, then pay the machine shop another 30-40 just to tell you if its usable
some more money for them to check the block and cylinders
another 100 if you have any scoring or out of roundness in the bores
200 bucks for a gasket kit from honda
going to need rings, possibly oversized pistons, 80 bucks for aftermarket cause i cant even find oem ones
youll need bearings, since you want honda parts that wont be cheap, 9.50 a bearing.... you need 18 iirc so thats another 200 with tax
then another 100-200 for the machine shop to assemble it...

adding up youre looking at over 700 CONSERVATIVELY with using oem parts and a reputable machine shop. this is not including what you should replace when you have it apart like timing belt, water pump and tensioner.

Then at the end of the day you just have a redone stock motor with oem parts that really adds no value to the car other than a little more piece of mind

monSTIer
11-29-2011, 11:20 PM
That's what I was looking for. Any shops in our part of town that you suggest.

mr.DUNK
11-29-2011, 11:34 PM
Pm`d

monSTIer
12-01-2011, 02:03 AM
Pm`d

Sent you a text. Weighing my options. I have not seen any nice used d15b1 engines out there so I think I will be going with a rebuild on mine. I will let you know soon.