PDA

View Full Version : horrible squealing from belts

recordwinner
12-14-2011, 11:13 AM
hey guys my roommate has an 04 ex civic and within the last couple months has started making horrible squealing sounds. the a/c, alternator, and PS belts were replaced. Someone she knows told her its probably the a/c compressor, or a/c pulley bearings.
the sound happens when the car is at low RPMs, w the A/C on (but the sound still happens sometimes when the A/C is off), typically goes away when you start driving and the RPMs go up.
any advice to confirm or deny whether it is most likely the a/c compressor?
thanks in advance

ph8ed4life
12-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Pull the belts and spin each accessory by hand.

I've seen the ac comp have issues on that car. Clutches coming loose, I think a failing bearing too

Nachooooosupreme
12-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Make sure all belts are tight too. I didn't tighten the adjustment nut tight enough when I replaced my alternator belt and it made a squealing noise til I did.

S!K TEG
12-14-2011, 07:48 PM
they belts might be too tight or too lose. if this helps

http://www.ehow.com/how_7331637_adjust-honda-civic-serpentine-belt.html

tyrap26
12-19-2011, 04:47 PM
to tight wont make it squeal, it will put more load on the pulleys which may sound like groan sound... or humm sound. you can also use a mechanics stethoscope to find your noise... bearing or pulley. the old school screw driver trick also works.

Litt
12-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Definitely check and make sure the belts are tight if they are then it's prolly the pulley

b20what
12-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Bar of soap will fixit. Make sure tension is good and everything is in working order.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk

recordwinner
12-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Bar of soap will fixit. Make sure tension is good and everything is in working order.

lawl at soap. not sure if serious or trying to troll me.....how would a mech. stethoscope work? i dont think i would want to put it on the pulleys while the car is running

b20what
12-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Go take the compresor out and try to free turn it. If you feel any hesitation or grinding replace it asap clutch is likely going out, if it were to internally gernade you will experiance black death aka replacement of your whole ac system due to metal fragments in thelines. Ifyour power ateering pump screams when turning postto post towards the end, replace it.