PDA

View Full Version : Turtle Wax - Headlight Lens Restorer: Review

Rob x3
12-19-2011, 05:55 PM
I know there are always questions as to what works and what doesn't. I bought this kit at Wal-mart for $8.47. I thought I would give it a try. It worked as promised for me. Granted my hazing wasn't to deep, it was obvious it was present, but only certain parts of the lens were yellowed.

i'm not going to go into detail as to the steps followed, they were on the box, and can be found here:
http://www.turtlewax.com/detail-Headlight%20Lens%20Restorer-49-86.aspx

http://www.turtlewax.com/images/demostore/products/extralarge/turtle_wax_headlight_lens_restorer_T240KT.jpg

i spent a little extra time on each lens with each pad. i notice that the pads lost their gritty-ness after one use, so only use one side at a time with each lens.

The Lens Clarifying Compound seems to be a light abrasive as well as a polisher/wax. I used generous amounts of it after i used the pads since i wasn't going to use it on any other car anytime soon. you could probably just use this on lenses that aren't too far gone and it would work 'ok'.

If you're doing both head lights, do the whole process minus the application of the sealant on both lenses. There is only one sealant pouch and wipe, and i fear that taking 15 minutes to clean/polish the second lens would be too long to leave the sealant wipe exposed to the air and essentially evaporating whatever it is that 'seals'. Do steps 1-6 for both lenses and then do step 7 on both, within seconds of each other.

hope this helps when deciding what product to use when your headlights/fog light start oxidizing and yellow-ing.

Th3 Mugen
12-19-2011, 06:36 PM
I have one of these in my garage and I'm planning on doing to our truck, didn't know if it was gonna be any good, but if you say it worked, i might as well try it tomorrow.

Rob x3
12-19-2011, 10:40 PM
worked fantastic for me. i tried it out because the worst that could happen is that i lost $9... but it worked just like the label said.....

if you can look at your headlights and admit to your self that they are beyond repair... then the probably are and this wont work.

HondaBoy[T]
12-19-2011, 10:46 PM
! nevermind

Litt
12-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Mine were pretty bad and I tried this and they looked great for about a month. Then they looked just like they did a month ago. Hope it works well for u guys

Rob x3
12-20-2011, 01:55 PM
i'll keep you posted on how they turn out in 30 days

da0NE2nv
12-29-2011, 09:53 PM
just go to honda and pick up some metal polish.nuff said

Rob x3
12-30-2011, 11:33 AM
metal polish for plastic?

kerosinek
01-14-2012, 10:14 AM
These things will all work great for a bit, but after a month or so (like the guy above said), the oxidation will just come back. A friend of mine "claims" he has had good results from cleaning/polishing/waxing his headlights and then spraying them with a coat of clearcoat.

MikeDC4
01-17-2012, 12:14 AM
i tried some scratch doctor on mine did ok plus it was given to me

wheelguy
03-02-2012, 10:39 AM
I restore headlights a lot at work but still prefer reclearing them on my own cars, looks better and will last for tears not just months.

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd518/slpnhonda/aaacc821.jpg

Atomic-Orange-Turbo-Sloth
03-05-2012, 05:56 PM
get clear lens tint (covers) will also keep from getitng bad chips/dings

Statikk
03-08-2012, 01:44 PM
have u guys ever tried 3M products? I've bought 2 kits from 3M and each time I use it, it turns out great! I'm guessing it really doesnt matter which kit u use as long as it's name brand lol

FF For Life
07-19-2012, 05:58 PM
I restore headlights a lot at work but still prefer reclearing them on my own cars, looks better and will last for tears not just months.

http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd518/slpnhonda/aaacc821.jpg

:you rock: I would absolutly love to know your process, that light looks outstanding.

queens770
08-13-2012, 02:42 PM
I just buff my mine and use plast-x no problems