PDA

View Full Version : installed 70mm tb noticed power loss????

Slo_sohc
12-23-2011, 01:09 AM
Ok, i have a jdm b16 with around 10k mi on a rebuild, i recently installed a bwr 70mm tb. It seems ive lost power after i installed the tb, anybody run into this before?:dumbass:

Jason.AZ1
12-23-2011, 02:34 AM
You need other fancy bwr parts to make that b16 scream!
Bwr cams,header,cam gears,intake manifold,injectors.
With a legit dedspool tune you'll make about 274.2 whp

EPB01ludeSh
12-23-2011, 07:24 AM
Dont forget to upgrade your blinker fluid. Most people for get to do this then they are unhappy with their dyno results

Rzarectah
12-23-2011, 07:53 AM
Ok, i have a jdm b16 with around 10k mi on a rebuild, i recently installed a bwr 70mm tb. It seems ive lost power after i installed the tb, anybody run into this before?:dumbass:

The power drop you're noticing is probably caused by the once smooth air flow entering your intake manifold now being diffused and being a mess. You can't put a new throttle body on and expect power. To properly work the intake manifold must be bored out to 70mm over (or even a bit larger) so you can effectively get more air. A good tune would also help you.

Built By Notorious
12-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Some billet throttle bodies do not allow you to get 100% reading on your TPS... There for your only truely getting say 70% at WOT. This can be corrected in the ECU if you have s300 or Neptune. I had the same issue. I also had to port match the intake manifold to match the bore of my 70mm.. Hope that sheds some light.

C.R.A.Y.
12-23-2011, 09:17 AM
The ecu is more map based when it comes to timing and fuel so I highly doubt a miss calibration would make performance suffer. Map sees what pressure it's reading, sends to ecu, ecu adjusts accordingly

Built By Notorious
12-23-2011, 09:22 AM
It did on my own personal car... The TPS @ WOT would only read 71% And when the ecu was adjust accordingly by Joe or Kenny I would get all my top end back. Not saying this is his issue.. But it is somewhere to start. FYI my TPS calibrated properly @ .5-4.5

Nachooooosupreme
12-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Dont forget to upgrade your blinker fluid. Most people for get to do this then they are unhappy with their dyno results

BAN^^^^

OP go back to oem.

Rzarectah
12-23-2011, 11:06 AM
It did on my own personal car... The TPS @ WOT would only read 71% And when the ecu was adjust accordingly by Joe or Kenny I would get all my top end back. Not saying this is his issue.. But it is somewhere to start. FYI my TPS calibrated properly @ .5-4.5

I've heard a lot about the tps doing this. Who port matched your mani for you? I need mine done but don't trust anyone because of the grooves in the manifold when it meets the throttle body. They look important and I don't wanna ruin my idle or anything by cutting into them.

BDD
12-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Even if the tps is reading propely, you put on a tb that is way to big for your motor. An overly big TB will slow down the velocity of air entering the motor. Throttle response and low end torque will suffer greatly! Put the stock one back on, and buy something the will actually benefit your motor.

gunsup0331
12-23-2011, 11:21 AM
70mm is overkill for a 1.6
Your Intake needs to match to allow proper airflow
Check ur TPS esp if your problem is at tip-in
Check for full opening of throttle plate at WOT
Eat ur wheaties

Jason.AZ1
12-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Your all abunch of fuck tards he just needs a fancy bwr Intake manifold and a BWR base map dyno tune!

Built By Notorious
12-23-2011, 03:47 PM
Agreed!

Nachooooosupreme
12-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Your all abunch of fuck tards he just needs a fancy bwr Intake manifold and a BWR base map dyno tune!

What about a dedspool tune with all those bwr parts? Ya ya ya :)

Az-One
12-23-2011, 05:23 PM
My Em1 has a b16 I have a 70mm Skunk2 throttle body and port matched Skunk2 intake manifold. I did'nt feel any lost in power. Hower ever I'm also tuned and run about 12psi on the daily.

Slo_sohc
12-24-2011, 05:19 PM
Well im going to have it tuned and see if it makes a difference, ive also noticed i use a shit load of gas but if the tune doesnt help im just going to sell the tb. If i had money for boost id keep it and get it port matched and all that good stuff.

Quick question for the people who know about boost. My rebuild consisted of hasting bearings stock pr3 rods/pistons no name oil/water pump basically a budget build but all brand new. How many psi would i beable to push on my motor without blowing it to shit? Also its daily driven.

Mr.Burner
12-24-2011, 06:13 PM
70m is alittle over kill for a stock b16. But if you port match it and have your tps calibrated correctly and a/f on spot I don't see you having a problem with it. Altho the bwr parts suck you can still get it to work. I have fixed the sticking problem with billet ones before and have done plenty of port matches so lmk.

Also to your boost question, your bassically boosting a stock engine. The ringlands are what will go first on the piston so keep the boost at 10psi and get a tune. It will last the longest this way. 15+ psi just shortens the fuse, but its a whole lot more fun.

88todab16crx
12-24-2011, 06:13 PM
I had the same issue. Skunk2 im and 70 mm tb port matched to im. I was wasting gas and loss of power. Had it tuned and now its good.

Sent from a Droid that eats fucking Iphones

Slo_sohc
12-24-2011, 10:11 PM
70m is alittle over kill for a stock b16. But if you port match it and have your tps calibrated correctly and a/f on spot I don't see you having a problem with it. Altho the bwr parts suck you can still get it to work. I have fixed the sticking problem with billet ones before and have done plenty of port matches so lmk.

Also to your boost question, your bassically boosting a stock engine. The ringlands are what will go first on the piston so keep the boost at 10psi and get a tune. It will last the longest this way. 15+ psi just shortens the fuse, but its a whole lot more fun.

Sticking problem, do you mean like within the throttle? Because at stop lights ill go to press on the throttle and it does have a little stick to it.

Ok cool so 8-10 psi will be ok to daily drive and get on it every once in a while? How long do you think the motor would last?

Slo_sohc
12-24-2011, 10:12 PM
I had the same issue. Skunk2 im and 70 mm tb port matched to im. I was wasting gas and loss of power. Had it tuned and now its good.

Sent from a Droid that eats fucking Iphones

After you were tuned, could you tell a difference in power?

Koopa Troopa
12-27-2011, 12:06 AM

Stock engine will be fine. I had a friend who was running 1.5 bar on a stock JDM B16A with a T3 Super 70 and he then switched to a stock JDM GSR engine boosting 1.5 bar on a T04S. He was using r32 GTR injectors and fuel pump and obviously modified the oil system for the turbos but other than that those engines were as OEM as when they came from the factory. He had the GSR set up for like 1.5 years then he got tired of the car and stripped it apart and sold everything.

It's all in the tune dude.