PDA

View Full Version : homemade intake (whats ur opinion!?!?)

Method520
01-16-2012, 08:10 AM
i've been looking around at intakes and its obvious that name brand cold air intake setups are pretty expensive for such a simple setup, i mean.. having taken the need for a filter for granted.

right now im running a k&n oiled and all, through my stock plastic intake pipe and its time to get rid of this piece of work. I've seen the custom routed setups with people using mandrel bent steel from homedepot n shit, and if you think about it i only see 1 issue.. heat transmission. well, and maybe a little corrosion over time. Other than that, its gotta be a great fucking idea right? that way i can utilize my k&n with a custom routed setup of my own. (down to the lower right fendor of a b18cr ek in my case).

I've seen exhaust wrap online go for cheap, header wrap in perpendicular. But i think if i were to use some good hose clamps, pipe fittings and some quality insulation wrap, i can have a pretty efficient setup.
ffs its a speed density setup, cant be that hard right?

please forgive me for my deceptive idea of low standards, but there's only so much you can spend on a simple invention when your going to school. Thanks for reading, please.. opinions!

edit: i found this site, im getting the idea this material would be better than cheap thin steel

http://store.max-redline.com/servlet/-strse-114/3%22-Universal-Aluminum-Piping/Detail

Colten79
01-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Any idea if they have a 3.5-4 inch piping at homedepot?

And im not sure if heat wrappin your intake is the right idea.. Heat wrap is used on exhausts to keep heat in.. So maybe it would keep heat in you intake. Giving you warmer air.. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong..

nelsmar
01-16-2012, 09:00 AM

And im not sure if heat wrappin your intake is the right idea.. Heat wrap is used on exhausts to keep heat in.. So maybe it would keep heat in you intake. Giving you warmer air.. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong..

they sell 4" aluminum light posts (1/32 or 1/16 side wall i forget) I use a pair of them for my camera rig as it is extremely light & cheap.

Method520
01-16-2012, 11:32 AM

well your partly right. i was thinking more of radiant reflective tape to keep engine bay temperatures from getting in, but i know heat wrapping isn't gunna "warm" the intake. It keeps heat from getting in, thats all.

now the engineering shenanigans to this renders it possibly useless. big problem here is that the throttlebody gets hot as fuck along with the rest of the engine having direct heat transfer. so no matter what, thers gunna be heat transferring from the block, right along the intake via metal contact. I was thinking i could wrap it further down towards the filter while leaving the pipe area near the tb exposed. That way, tb heat transfer couldnt make my intake any hotter before just transferring back into the air.

Thats where it gets confusing and strikes controversy, the more i think, the less i wanna go with this heat wrap idea seeing as its not even turbocharged.

i did however buy that max-redline setup, all the piping/clamping i need for just 130 bucks. And were talking 60 feet of quality intake-grade piping.

Koopa Troopa
01-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Use aluminum foil to deflect heat from the intake, heat wrap won't do anything for an intake tube..

failedabortion
01-17-2012, 04:30 PM
well your partly right. i was thinking more of radiant reflective tape to keep engine bay temperatures from getting in, but i know heat wrapping isn't gunna "warm" the intake. It keeps heat from getting in, thats all.

now the engineering shenanigans to this renders it possibly useless. big problem here is that the throttlebody gets hot as fuck along with the rest of the engine having direct heat transfer. so no matter what, thers gunna be heat transferring from the block, right along the intake via metal contact. I was thinking i could wrap it further down towards the filter while leaving the pipe area near the tb exposed. That way, tb heat transfer couldnt make my intake any hotter before just transferring back into the air.

Thats where it gets confusing and strikes controversy, the more i think, the less i wanna go with this heat wrap idea seeing as its not even turbocharged.

i did however buy that max-redline setup, all the piping/clamping i need for just 130 bucks. And were talking 60 feet of quality intake-grade piping.

Isn't the hondata intake gasket made to help keep the head from transferring heat to the intake manifold? Which along with your wrapped cai would help keep air temps entering the combustion chamber cooler. Not sure how much the lost cooling area for the head would effect combustion temps though.

taintschwacker
01-17-2012, 04:49 PM
sticking with plastic is the best way to go. it's a shitty conductor of heat so it is better for keeping air cooler as it enters the throttlebody. If your gonna go with aluminum then i would prolly recommend a ceramic style paint or getting it ceramic coated, that would deflect the heat also since it too is a shitty conductor of heat and will keep the intake temps to a minimum also. that mixed with a deflective style wrap might work out well too.

young_ar
01-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Harbor freight sells pretty cheap aluminum foil tape and home depot sells the piping n maxspeed or versus sells the cheapest filter n there u go how much cheaper well working intake do u want LOL.

Method520
01-18-2012, 04:42 PM
fuck it, ill just route my intake under my glovebox/evaporator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwaRuCL_6Gk