PDA

View Full Version : Never been to the gym a day in my life.

Frank White
01-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Ive recently decided to join a gym but i have never been to one. My goal is to lose a lil bit of weight. im at 206ish right now would like to get back down to160-170.
what im looking to get from this thread is advise and tips. I have a full time job so anything that may help the soreness also. thanks in advance.

Glad to hear it!

Need to change your diet also. If you have a high fat diet now, just cutting out fast food will help A LOT. :)

Start out doing full body workouts and not too heavy. Work with a trainer at first so you dont get injured.

Spec C
01-21-2012, 08:09 PM
10g BCAA intra or post wo. Can help with DOMS/recovery.

Or a more dedicated product like this, intra workout.
https://store.lockoutforums.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=2000759&zenid=77c4dcc171b2e7737341bf718dae27f0

Frank White
01-21-2012, 11:24 PM
Glad to hear it!

Need to change your diet also. If you have a high fat diet now, just cutting out fast food will help A LOT. :)

Start out doing full body workouts and not too heavy. Work with a trainer at first so you dont get injured.
im going to hit up a 24hr gym becuase i work all day and get off around 11pm so i dont think that ill find a trainer at that hour...
10g BCAA intra or post wo. Can help with DOMS/recovery.

Or a more dedicated product like this, intra workout.
https://store.lockoutforums.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=2000759&zenid=77c4dcc171b2e7737341bf718dae27f0
so this stuff helps with mussle recovery? i skimed through the page you posted a lil bit.

Koopa Troopa
01-22-2012, 02:16 AM
Buy the Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding by Arnold Schawarzenegger

Has everything you need to know about everything.

Spec C
01-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Buy the Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding by Arnold Schawarzenegger

Has everything you need to know about everything.

Except for the fact that it isn't so modern, and a lot of things are going to be dated.

Not to mention Arnold is a genetic freak the training programs are not of much help to the avg joe.

MADEGO
01-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Except for the fact that it isn't so modern, and a lot of things are going to be dated.

Not to mention Arnold is a genetic freak the training programs are not of much help to the avg joe.

You forgot he also used steroids.

To OP: there is a lot you can do with just your own body weight and starting off with high cardio, balance/CORE exercise should be good enough unless you want to build muscle mass.

Spec C
01-22-2012, 10:49 AM

To OP: there is a lot you can do with just your own body weight and starting off with high cardio, balance/CORE exercise should be good enough unless you want to build muscle mass.

I didn't forget, that is not really relevant to the point I was trying to make.

tfizzle
01-22-2012, 02:53 PM
As much as you want to obtain your goal. Your overall health and wellness is much for valuable.
Meaning don't hurt yourself! Most likely you have a mental image of yourself and how u should and want to look at 160-70 lbs...

But look at it as you wanna be healthy... Get that I wanna LOSE weight mentality out of your head it will just ruin yourself mentally.

Your overall goal is a healthy lifestyle change to better your physical and mental well being. Eat right, exercise on a regular schedule, sleep good at night...then when Ur ready u can alter your physical training into something more rigorous. I was in the same situation. Just what I did that helped me.

Just my two cents...

Good luck tho... Sign it back over to spec c to drop some knowledge

fivesfe
01-22-2012, 06:03 PM
As much as you want to obtain your goal. Your overall health and wellness is much for valuable.
Meaning don't hurt yourself! Most likely you have a mental image of yourself and how u should and want to look at 160-70 lbs...

But look at it as you wanna be healthy... Get that I wanna LOSE weight mentality out of your head it will just ruin yourself mentally.

Your overall goal is a healthy lifestyle change to better your physical and mental well being. Eat right, exercise on a regular schedule, sleep good at night...then when Ur ready u can alter your physical training into something more rigorous. I was in the same situation. Just what I did that helped me.

Just my two cents...

+1. Make it a lifestyle change.

I had lost 50 lbs and just about hit my goal. I was content, happy. I started falling back into my old habits. I jumped up 25 lbs, while still be leaning that when i originally began, i now realize its not just about a goal. Its a lifestyle change, do what you can now, to make life easier in the future.

Frank White
01-22-2012, 09:21 PM

well that was my plan was to go and hit a tredmill or even a bike... i was gonna do a bunch of cardio at first and wing it from there

Just my two cents...

I dont have a bad mental image of myself in fact im happy with myself... truth is i was doing something really easy and i had to stop and catch my breath, thats when i felt like going to the gym would be a smart idea health wise.and of course changing my eating habits... and if i like the working out thing then eventually bulk up maybe lol... all one step at a time
+1. Make it a lifestyle change.

I had lost 50 lbs and just about hit my goal. I was content, happy. I started falling back into my old habits. I jumped up 25 lbs, while still be leaning that when i originally began, i now realize its not just about a goal. Its a lifestyle change, do what you can now, to make life easier in the future.
your right i need to make a lifestyle change... eating habit and maybe even buy a bike and bike to work instead of drive...

Spec C
01-22-2012, 10:05 PM
There is some good advice here but let me set one thing straight, get in there and start doing all your compound lifts. Nothing is going to be more beneficial to you right now then that. Not only are you going to take advantage of EPOC by doing big lifts like the deadlift, but you are going to build a good foundation with these core lifts, and perfect your form so when it comes time to moving real weight you can do it safely. You are doing yourself a disservice by not doing them.

Don't worry about doing foo-foo, nanny pamby lifts, concentrate on PERFECTING your form on the REAL lifts. Deadlifts, Squats, SOHP(Strict over head press), Bench, Pull ups, some BB or DB rows, etc. It isn't about going heavy at first, it is about getting your form dialed in, and familiar with the lifts. You want to really get the feel for these so they are second nature, and your form is TIGHT.

Get on a GOOD training program to get the ball rolling. Starting strength for example, or even one of the 5/3/1 variants.

Doing a little cardio on off days, or maybe post workout is ok, but don't be a cardio bunny that goes in there does 2hrs on the treadmill, some abs, and 8lb db curls.

Read this article on EPOC. This should shed some light on why you should be doing some big movements.
http://www.scottstevensonphd.com/336ripped_EPOCv2_16-10-18.pdf

Hope that helps!

Frank White
01-23-2012, 01:53 AM
There is some good advice here but let me set one thing straight, get in there and start doing all your compound lifts. Nothing is going to be more beneficial to you right now then that. Not only are you going to take advantage of EPOC by doing big lifts like the deadlift, but you are going to build a good foundation with these core lifts, and perfect your form so when it comes time to moving real weight you can do it safely. You are doing yourself a disservice by not doing them.

Don't worry about doing foo-foo, nanny pamby lifts, concentrate on PERFECTING your form on the REAL lifts. Deadlifts, Squats, SOHP(Strict over head press), Bench, Pull ups, some BB or DB rows, etc. It isn't about going heavy at first, it is about getting your form dialed in, and familiar with the lifts. You want to really get the feel for these so they are second nature, and your form is TIGHT.

Get on a GOOD training program to get the ball rolling. Starting strength for example, or even one of the 5/3/1 variants.

Doing a little cardio on off days, or maybe post workout is ok, but don't be a cardio bunny that goes in there does 2hrs on the treadmill, some abs, and 8lb db curls.

Read this article on EPOC. This should shed some light on why you should be doing some big movements.
http://www.scottstevensonphd.com/336ripped_EPOCv2_16-10-18.pdf

Hope that helps!
Thats pretty helpfull ive googled and youtubed some stuff but i guess i wasnt looking hard enough. I dont really care if i go and look like an idiot my main concern was not to hurt my self or end up working out and not benefiting from it.

Spec C
01-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Thats pretty helpfull ive googled and youtubed some stuff but i guess i wasnt looking hard enough. I dont really care if i go and look like an idiot my main concern was not to hurt my self or end up working out and not benefiting from it.

Yea that is why it is important to start doing these lifts right out of the gate when you are weak and aren't moving much weight.

Just really get the form down, with light weight, then start to make small increases while keeping form tight.

Anytime in lifting when you form breaks down, the set is over. Don't push beyond that.

Watch all the parts to these videos..

Squat part 1-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkF9QD7oCIA

Bench part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byOk4OE_6uI

Deadlift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp8Sx9dX9LM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOhWfhvJPLE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA

Koopa Troopa
01-23-2012, 12:29 PM

i don't think you've ever read that book...

You're pretty much saying that a book about boxing writen by Lenny McClean wouldn't be worth reading because it's old so it will be out dated. Diets are diets and weight lifting is weight lifting and the only thing that has changed since that book was first written is instead of steroids people now take supplements.

Also on the steroids subject, the amount of steroids taken in the 70's is extremely mild compared to today so keep that in mind.

Spec C
01-23-2012, 12:52 PM
i don't think you've ever read that book...

You're pretty much saying that a book about boxing writen by Lenny McClean wouldn't be worth reading because it's old so it will be out dated. Diets are diets and weight lifting is weight lifting and the only thing that has changed since that book was first written is instead of steroids people now take supplements.
AHh and that is where you are WRONG sir.

Do you understand how much the science behind nutrition has changed in the last 5-10 years, let alone 25? Things we thought were gospel were disproven time and time again. Other things we thought we nonsense, proven to be true.

There are so many recent studies disproving a large portion of nutritional MUBO JUMBO we once parroted.

We are just now starting to get more studies directly related to weight trained individuals, vs the elderly or rats..lol

I can not even begin to tell you how much my own views on nutrition have changed in the last 2-3 years based on modern research, and how much that has impacted my gym performance, and physique.

I have watched some of the TOP nutritionists in the sport in the last decade, flip a 180 when it comes to diet principles. When you have people who wrote articles telling you straight up to "ignore the articles I wrote from xx a time period" because they are dated to today's standards, that should say something.

I am not saying don't read the book, it is a good book, and there is definitly things to be learned.. It is especially cool if you are a fan of Arnie, and bodybuilding, but it is not the "bible" it once was. . I just think there are better resources out there, these days that are more current.

And as for training I touched on that.

To each their own. If you want to be following outdated advice, that is your prerogative. I would rather stay on the cutting edge, more progressive, and use the latest scientific revelations to my advantage.

rsport
01-23-2012, 02:52 PM
im glad you started this thread. i am in the same boat. 205 trying to get back down to 170.
the routine i decided on was HIIT. high intensity interval training.
with cardio it is like a 20 second sprint with a 20 second normal speed. do it for 12 mins.
for weight lifting there are 3 routines doing one a day. first day you focus on bench pressing type workouts, day two is dead lift type, and day 3 is squats. there are 6 exercises you do in each group, the goal is to go through as many of the sets as you can in 25 min, when you finish the list you start over.

thats my plan anyways. from what i have read it is mostly beneficial for weight loss while still building a little bit of muscle.
http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/density-giant-set-training-maintain-muscle-fat-loss.html

MADEGO
01-23-2012, 03:41 PM
AHh and that is where you are WRONG sir.

Do you understand how much the science behind nutrition has changed in the last 5-10 years, let alone 25? Things we thought were gospel were disproven time and time again. Other things we thought we nonsense, proven to be true.

There are so many recent studies disproving a large portion of nutritional MUBO JUMBO we once parroted.

We are just now starting to get more studies directly related to weight trained individuals, vs the elderly or rats..lol

I can not even begin to tell you how much my own views on nutrition have changed in the last 2-3 years based on modern research, and how much that has impacted my gym performance, and physique.

I have watched some of the TOP nutritionists in the sport in the last decade, flip a 180 when it comes to diet principles. When you have people who wrote articles telling you straight up to "ignore the articles I wrote from xx a time period" because they are dated to today's standards, that should say something.

I am not saying don't read the book, it is a good book, and there is definitly things to be learned.. It is especially cool if you are a fan of Arnie, and bodybuilding, but it is not the "bible" it once was. . I just think there are better resources out there, these days that are more current.

And as for training I touched on that.

To each their own. If you want to be following outdated advice, that is your prerogative. I would rather stay on the cutting edge, more progressive, and use the latest scientific revelations to my advantage.

I'm in for this I haven't been to a gym in 2 years due to having a son and going back to school. I feel like I need to do some learning about nutrition for this stage of my life as I'm entering my 30s and my goals are different then when I was younger.

1badLst
01-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Man I love posts by people who have no clue what they're talking about let alone the physique to back it up.......just makes me shake my head and laugh and then continue to out lift them. Come up to my neck of the woods soon spec so we can crush a workout man.

Spec C
01-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Man I love posts by people who have no clue what they're talking about let alone the physique to back it up.......just makes me shake my head and laugh and then continue to out lift them. Come up to my neck of the woods soon spec so we can crush a workout man.

Im down. I have been sick for almost a week now, but i seem to be getting better.

What are you thinking? Back/deads? What day is best for you,?

Dsquared Upholstery
01-23-2012, 05:55 PM
[quote=MADEGO;2675572]You forgot he also used steroids.

Well that is a bit irrelevant. If you knew the science behind steroids you wouldn't chalk a lifetime of hardwork up to taking a pill or injecting an oil. Especially when you consider most of one's gains come from the nutrition they take in.

[quote=Frank White;2675334]im going to hit up a 24hr gym becuase i work all day and get off around 11pm so i dont think that ill find a trainer at that hour...

I think the idea of getting a book is great. I just finished a nutrition book I bought from my kindle app on my phone. The best bet is to read a few different books on all of these subjects to balance the good and bad. It's not expensive and you'll be able to learn from experts. Try and find contemporary authors with current techniques. With advances in science and the understanding of the human body, Arnold's book is obsolete.

Spec C
01-23-2012, 06:16 PM
I think the idea of getting a book is great. I just finished a nutrition book I bought from my kindle app on my phone. The best bet is to read a few different books on all of these subjects to balance the good and bad. It's not expensive and you'll be able to learn from experts. Try and find contemporary authors with current techniques. With advances in science and the understanding of the human body, Arnold's book is obsolete.

I agree with this. Get books by a few different authors as there are many differing opinions which have validity. A certain structure might fit your lifestyle, and tastes better then another. You want something you can be consistant with.

MADEGO
01-23-2012, 07:40 PM
[quote=MADEGO;2675572]You forgot he also used steroids.

Well that is a bit irrelevant. If you knew the science behind steroids you wouldn't chalk a lifetime of hardwork up to taking a pill or injecting an oil. Especially when you consider most of one's gains come from the nutrition they take in.

[quote=Frank White;2675334]im going to hit up a 24hr gym becuase i work all day and get off around 11pm so i dont think that ill find a trainer at that hour...

I didn't say all of Arnolds body of work is because of steroids, but steroids are known for faster recovery time, build muscle tissue. That's definitely an advantage to muscle recovery time.

I was just adding my two cents to "the genetic freak" comment I know what spec c meant. I know Arnold has lifted from an early age, something I aspired to do but got out of it after sports injuries and surgeries.

MADEGO
01-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Where do u guys work out at? Fitness forum? That's down the street from me.

Spec C
01-23-2012, 08:02 PM
I didn't say all of Arnolds body of work is because of steroids, but steroids are known for faster recovery time, build muscle tissue. That's definitely an advantage to muscle recovery time.

I was just adding my two cents to "the genetic freak" comment I know what spec c meant. I know Arnold has lifted from an early age, something I aspired to do but got out of it after sports injuries and surgeries.

Steroids definitely helped Arnie maximize genetics for sure.

My point was that while they increase recovery, it is a double edged sword. You are gaining strength more rapidly, the workload is increased, etc. One mistake people make is they do TOO much when ON. Training generally shouldn't change much. Some coach's will actually have natural athletes doing a bit more work, most will leave training unchanged.

Arnolds workouts are pretty volume heavy. with a lot of workload. Steroids or not, a person with avg or less genetics is just going to crash and burn doing that.

D trains there. I go to LA fitness, or to anytime fitness on Alma School from time to time, with a buddy of mine.

Dsquared Upholstery
01-24-2012, 12:24 AM

They have a good special going on right now. It's about 25 bucks a month and they have everything you need to get to whereever it is you wanna go.

Stick with your compound movements for a while and as you start to get a decent base, come get in a hi intesity session with spec and myself. No need to get carried away and burn your self out now. I would say basic exercises for now and seriously, read some books. Skip la cour has a great book, im already shredding like crazy on the diet i put together after reading it.

MADEGO
01-24-2012, 05:00 PM
They have a good special going on right now. It's about 25 bucks a month and they have everything you need to get to whereever it is you wanna go.

Stick with your compound movements for a while and as you start to get a decent base, come get in a hi intesity session with spec and myself. No need to get carried away and burn your self out now. I would say basic exercises for now and seriously, read some books. Skip la cour has a great book, im already shredding like crazy on the diet i put together after reading it.

I will have to check it out. LOL, you aren't lying, I'm not anywhere near ready for what you are doing, I'm coming off my second knee surgery and still battling swelling after working out.

Spec C
01-24-2012, 05:45 PM
I will have to check it out. LOL, you aren't lying, I'm not anywhere near ready for what you are doing, I'm coming off my second knee surgery and still battling swelling after working out.

Honestly you could hang with us, and it would probably do you good as we could help with form. You would just be going much lighter obviously.

The quickest way to make gains is to train with people more advanced then you. That is why when my buddy who is an elite powerlifter hits me up for a session i go, even if I lifted that day already, or trained that bodypart already that week.

Frank White
01-29-2012, 10:45 PM
ok tomorrow is the big day haha!!! i watched the vids you posted Spec C... no more fooling around for me! ill admit im a bit nervous tho.

Spec C
01-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Good luck! Let us know if you have any questions on form, etc.

Dsquared Upholstery
02-02-2012, 12:23 PM

Did you go yet? I saw a big ass dude clip clopping away on the tradmill last night. I was hopping that wasn't you.

MADEGO
02-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Did you go yet? I saw a big ass dude clip clopping away on the tradmill last night. I was hopping that wasn't you.

Lol, no in a bind right now with funds. I have been doing workouts around home. I'm not real big (6'2" 220) just really out of shape.

Frank White
03-02-2012, 12:40 AM
Just wanted to report my progress... Ill admit at first I was really nervous but I'm getting over it now. My first day I was intimidated and embarrassed but the more I went I saw that I wasn't the only one trying to get into a healthier life style... The videos that were posted here helped me out alot. I've been doing a mixture of cardio and weight lift more weight lifting tho and I'm still learning alot but as of now I've lost about 6-7 lbs and I feel pretty good... I feel stronger and lighter... I don't know of that makes sense but it does to me lol anyways thanks for the advise people...

MADEGO
03-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Awesome to hear you are losing and most importantly feeling better. Keep it up homie.

Atomic-Orange-Turbo-Sloth
03-05-2012, 05:53 PM
i need to get on a diet asap. Tired of protecting my muscle under a layer of fat

j-dizzle
03-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Saw spec posted so you got good info.. for sure!! get on a good diet, cut fast food, soda, drinking.. start with good cardio workouts, move up to light weights and go from there...

thats my advice..