PDA

View Full Version : B20 P8R Head on GSR Short block

JDM-YML
01-23-2012, 01:33 AM
Anyone ever do this? If not is this doable? Does everything clear? If not what do I need to do to make it work? I tried researching but it got me nowhere.

I don't want to go VTEC so don't tell me that.

So B20B/Z P8R head on a GSR short block.

*inFamous*
01-23-2012, 06:49 AM

what?

So you want to... make a great engine.... worse...?

Please elaborate why you'd want to do this?

Acurazor
01-23-2012, 06:56 AM
Better off just running a b20 w/p8r head

Nachooooosupreme
01-23-2012, 07:17 AM
cant research something that cant be done!

JDM-YML
01-23-2012, 08:38 AM

what?

So you want to... make a great engine.... worse...?

Please elaborate why you'd want to do this?

*sigh*

No thats not what I'm trying to do, its not like I have a gsr long block that I'm trying to take

And I just want to see what I get from it.

Better off just running a b20 w/p8r head

no thank you

cant research something that cant be done!

Not true.

None of you have actually answered my question, so please I dont need to know how bad of an idea it is, I just need my answer.

sleeper 4 door
01-23-2012, 09:03 AM
I seen ls head on a b16 block so I think its posible but don't know much about it

JDM-YML
01-23-2012, 09:11 AM
I seen ls head on a b16 block so I think its posible but don't know much about it

Thank you that's a start. I've seen that to.

This is one of the thread that talked about what I'm looking for but the guy never went through with it.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2852721

C.R.A.Y.
01-23-2012, 10:12 AM
I've heard both sides of this, one side says it works fine, the other says the 84mm spacing of the combustion chambers of the p8r causes the valves to contact the sleeves.

Either way it's pretty pointless and people only think of it as a way to be different, aka have an excuse for a inferior motor or their just ghetto working with what they have.

JDM-YML
01-23-2012, 10:16 AM
I've heard both sides of this, one side says it works fine, the other says the 84mm spacing of the combustion chambers of the p8r causes the valves to contact the sleeves.

Either way it's pretty pointless and people only think of it as a way to be different, aka have an excuse for a inferior motor or their just ghetto working with what they have.

Vtec is to mainstream for me... I really just wanna show everyone a non-vtec can do it :bigsmile:

C.R.A.Y.
01-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Vtec is to mainstream for me... I really just wanna show everyone a non-vtec can do it :bigsmile:

Sorry but you sound like a moron. It's not mainstream, it's a superior way to make power and have economy. Non vtec heads aren't designed for optimum air flow or high rpm. Fact of the matter is non vtec b series heads can't do it, and many, many people have proved that many times over already.

My07SI
01-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Sorry but you sound like a moron. It's not mainstream, it's a superior way to make power and have economy. Non vtec heads aren't designed for optimum air flow or high rpm. Fact of the matter is non vtec b series heads can't do it, and many, many people have proved that many times over already.

Well said sir well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDM-YML
01-23-2012, 10:26 AM

Noticing sarcasm isn't really your strong point is it?

I don't really care what Vtec b-series have done, it has nothing to do with my question.

I already stated in my first post that I'm not going VTEC, I should have probably added that I don't give a shit if VTEC heads are better than non-vtec ones.

JDM-YML
01-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Well said sir well said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://r19.imgfast.net/users/1915/12/48/73/smiles/2937254162.png

Wait.. What?

Broskiballa
01-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Im sure it's possible. Take the numbers and do your math, then prove everyone other wise? But why a non-vtec head on a block that had a vtec head on it? You maybe setting yourself up for a nice repair bill if you're unfamilar with it yourself.

Nachooooosupreme
01-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Question is will a d series non vtech head fit onto a b18b non vtech?

JDM-YML
01-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Im sure it's possible. Take the numbers and do your math, then prove everyone other wise? But why a non-vtec head on a block that had a vtec head on it? You maybe setting yourself up for a nice repair bill if you're unfamilar with it yourself.

Will do, was just seeing if any one knows anything about it. And non-vtec because that's how I want my build to be, I'm buying a gsr short block not a long block so either way I won't have a VTEC head.

Question is will a d series non vtech head fit onto a b18b non vtech?

Why wouldn't it?

TypeREgg
01-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Just sell me that gsr block n get a full. B20

C.R.A.Y.
01-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Why wouldn't it?

It all makes sense now, you have a mental illness.

JDM-YML
01-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Just sell me that gsr block n get a full. B20

No.

Dude you must be stupid... :facepalm:

HeikDiesel
01-23-2012, 12:25 PM
No.

Dude you must be stupid... :facepalm:

Says the man taking 40 hp away from a B18C because he doesn't want to be "mainstream"

crxhfb16
01-23-2012, 12:25 PM

seen that done also

I think he was being sarcastic again.

JDM-YML
01-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Says the man taking 40 hp away from a B18C because he doesn't want to be "mainstream"

I'm not taking anything away. Like I stated before I don't have a long block gsr just the bottom block. And it's called sarcasm.

seen that done also

I think he was being sarcastic again.

Me or him?

Acurazor
01-23-2012, 12:51 PM
I have a b16 head for sale. Poor man itr would be better :)

Trick
01-23-2012, 01:48 PM
how about u buy a shaved valve cover that has the vtec logo shaved n then you wont think u will have vtec... lol

EJ2
01-23-2012, 02:06 PM
^ sounds good to me.

Broskiballa
01-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Problem: Doesn't want vtec.
Solution: Unplug vtec solnoid?

Remedy: Has no more vtec. :)

gunsup0331
01-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Obviously the dude is tryin to throw together somethin for cheap, why not just humor him and answer the question?
I don't see the valves being a problem, that is easy to check as well during assembly

JDM-YML
01-23-2012, 04:07 PM
I have a b16 head for sale. Poor man itr would be better :)

No thank you

how about u buy a shaved valve cover that has the vtec logo shaved n then you wont think u will have vtec... lol

^ sounds good to me.

How about no

Problem: Doesn't want vtec.
Solution: Unplug vtec solnoid?

Remedy: Has no more vtec. :)

Funny but no lol

Obviously the dude is tryin to throw together somethin for cheap, why not just humor him and answer the question?
I don't see the valves being a problem, that is easy to check as well during assembly

Thank you very much. That's all I want an "answer".

When I assemble it I will let you all know how it goes.

JDM-YML
01-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Either way I'm gonna go with the LS on B16 first, since the P8R is soo hard to find.

*inFamous*
01-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Just do a non VTEC bottom.

No one can understand why you are taking a shorter stroke engine designed to REV, and then keeping it FROM rev'ing by putting a head on there that cannot flow the volume required to make power with the aforementioned block.

Geezuz, there is a REASON this is not done frequently. It CAN be done, but it is quite honestly one of the most dimwitted thing i've seen on here in a long time.

I am willing to bet a stock B20 will put down equal if not noticeably better power and torque than what your trying to concoct, and for cheaper.

Where's joe. We need a troll.

JDM-YML
01-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Just do a non VTEC bottom.

No one can understand why you are taking a shorter stroke engine designed to REV, and then keeping it FROM rev'ing by putting a head on there that cannot flow the volume required to make power with the aforementioned block.

Geezuz, there is a REASON this is not done frequently. It CAN be done, but it is quite honestly one of the most dimwitted thing i've seen on here in a long time.

I am willing to bet a stock B20 will put down equal if not noticeably better power and torque than what your trying to concoct, and for cheaper.

Where's joe. We need a troll.

If no one understands than no one should say anything. Including you I have said multiple times I don't want VTEC and that's that. Stop trying to convince me on it because it's not gonna happen.

It's my motor, my build, and my plan I asked a simple question to people that might know. If I would have known that so many were gonna start saying stupid shit, I wouldn't have done it.

There's only been about 2 people that have tried to help and no one has giving me the answer I've wanted.

Bring all the trolls you want. There's a reason I put this in this section, I thought I would get an ANSWER not stupid immature people.

The Punisher
01-23-2012, 05:37 PM
It can be done. Its a waste of time / money.

Your 'reason' is to show what a non vtec engine can do.

Well you aren't going to show us anything.

The oil supply will / should be re-plummed. You will need to run adjustable timing gears to compensate for the difference in head deck height to keep it all in time. I would recommend an external timing tensioner.

The valves will not contact the walls, however the sealing surface between the 84mm p8r cylinder head combustion chamber and the smaller VTEC cylinder immediately causes an issue at the HG sealing surfaces. There is a VERY HIGH chance of failure. Put the GSR headgasket on top of the P8r HG and you will see where your issues will arise.

Go do some research at your local parts store and you'll get a good visual.

I'd also recommend you stop being such a chowder-head.

If you didn't know you were going to get the responses you did, then you sir truly are ignorant.