PDA

View Full Version : crack on head

jdmman
03-13-2012, 10:47 PM
Found this crack on a head i bought...should i be worried?

lsvtecdc2
03-14-2012, 12:01 AM
I would get it checked out I had a b16 head that had a crack like that but it was closer to the spark plug ran great have a machine shop check it out before you spend money on a head gasket

Rzarectah
03-14-2012, 12:43 AM
Is that a crack to the right also? Just left of the carbon build up?

jdmman
03-14-2012, 06:45 PM
I would get it checked out I had a b16 head that had a crack like that but it was closer to the spark plug ran great have a machine shop check it out before you spend money on a head gasket
already got one lol
Is that a crack to the right also? Just left of the carbon build up?
nah thats just a dirt line

lsvtecdc2
03-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Well if a machine shop cleaned it up and pressure test it then you should be good crack might be there from the casting at least thats what i got told when i took my to the machine shop

Koopa Troopa
03-16-2012, 05:41 AM
I'd be more worried about those threads than that tiny fissure.

jdmman
03-18-2012, 11:35 PM
well the heads on and the car is running fine. only issue is its leaking oil around the head gasket area on the timing belt side. Both head and block were machined, I'm sure i didn't put the gasket on backwards and I was cautious when torquing it down. any ideas?

VTECin5th
03-18-2012, 11:56 PM
Timing belt side cam seals?

Heads are funny but I don't see where oil would be right there, unless the crack was deep, as far as the HG mount surface, it doesn't look like oil would go there.

bumpstick
03-19-2012, 12:46 AM
yes. crack = hot spot = detonation

feel free to take other advice though.

Sent from the future.

jdmman
03-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Timing belt side cam seals?

Heads are funny but I don't see where oil would be right there, unless the crack was deep, as far as the HG mount surface, it doesn't look like oil would go there.
thanks for the heads up. it looks like it is the cam seals. I'm hoping thats the only place it leaks from
yes. crack = hot spot = detonation

feel free to take other advice though.

Sent from the future.
Heads on now. so far no issues

Mr.Burner
03-28-2012, 03:25 PM
Looks like a casting scab... if it IS a crack. It will only spread. Possibly loosening the valve seat and falling out into the cylinder. Or it will run to an oil or coolant jacket. 9x's out of 10. Az's machine shops dont pressure test heads and say they do... some because there lazy or dont have the proper equipment.