PDA

View Full Version : broken strut tower weld?

Slo_sohc
03-15-2012, 10:27 AM
I havent a clue on how to repair this because we already attempted to weld it once and it keeps cracking. So im lost, Can you please give a little advice or tips? Its cracked all the way around the tower, its an ek hatch and crack is on passenger side. Thanks guys.

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af198/nickclark18/IMAG0073.jpg

http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af198/nickclark18/IMAG0072.jpg

Eddieboy
03-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Dang that looks nasty. But im sure theres gotta be a way.

Sound=vibration
03-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Just out of curiosity what caused it to crack. Second a strong tig weld should cure it.

HondaBoy[T]
03-15-2012, 12:58 PM
A Dam Strong Good Weld.

2poor2tune
03-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Do your struts have any travel in them or are they just bottomed out? I'm trying to figure how this could happen

91Crx-SiR
03-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Those previous welds look like crap.. Get a tig and have someone who knows how to weld do it. Go over it possibly a few times.

x2 on bottomed out shocks.

REJ1-94
03-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Are you dumped by any chance if so its because your a arms keep hitting your sturt towers. Also happens if your shock are going out.

failedabortion
03-15-2012, 04:28 PM
The rest of it looks beat to shit also...I would cut out the passenger side section and weld in a complete piece from a good donor vehicle.

RICK's-TOWING
03-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Before you re weld it there has to be an issue with the strut.... I doubt a tig weld over that crack will fix that alone. Pick up some sheet metal. Pull the entire strut off the car relieving any stress. Try to close the gap (crack) and tack it together. Mig or tig. That metal is very thin either machine should be fine with a skilled operator. Also id remove all the paint around the area you're going to weld. Use the sheet metal to place over the crack you have now welded. And weld the sheet metal in. Its gonna look like shit. But judging by its current state, it really doesn't matter. The fact is with a crack that big the metal you've welded is just beat and mangled...the sheet metal will give you a fresh plain to work from.

RICK's-TOWING
03-15-2012, 04:52 PM
Or weld an entire new section in as failedabortion stated...

Slo_sohc
03-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Honestly im not too sure how it happened, i bought the hatch and noticed there was nasty seam sealer glopped on the strut tower amd asked the previous owner what all that gunk was for amd he claimed a small crack from bottoming out that he had welded and seem sealed it up. Well on the way home i started rubbing on the fender, went to check it and the seam sealer was all cracked.

Thats when i went ahead and cleaned off/peeled off all that seam sealer crap and revealed this... A guy at my local bmx track has a tig welder, i think i may let him take a shot at it. As for sheet metal, is there a certain thikness i should go with?

C.R.A.Y.
03-20-2012, 10:26 AM
thats not from bottoming out, that car was hit right there, you can see the whole rail is wrinkled from where they straightened it. Go to the junk yard with a sawzall, cut the section out with nice straight lines, have some mexican body shop weld it in for you.... pray it doesnt fall off.

taintschwacker
03-20-2012, 11:38 AM
thats not from bottoming out, that car was hit right there, you can see the whole rail is wrinkled from where they straightened it. Go to the junk yard with a sawzall, cut the section out with nice straight lines, have some mexican body shop weld it in for you.... pray it doesnt fall off.

X2, That car has been wrecked. you also might want to have the frame checked for damage too, since it looks like the previous owner didnt care enough too do that...

Slo_sohc
04-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Well the section is now fixed. Got a passenger side peice from the junkyard and had a guy in my neighboor hood tig weld it on. Front end lines up and it drives as if nothing happened. Alignment is dead on too.. 250 bucks and a few 12 packs and its good. Let me tell you, those beers tasted way better sitting infront of a fixed hatchy. Only prob is, theres a purple engine bay with a white passenger side ahahaha! Thanks guys!

The Punisher
04-27-2012, 03:00 PM
That 'seam sealer' looks like JB weld. lol!

crxhfb16
04-27-2012, 03:16 PM
is that a vacuum hose intake?

The Punisher
04-27-2012, 03:26 PM

Damn, good eye!

Slo_sohc
05-07-2012, 02:08 PM
That 'seam sealer' looks like JB weld. lol!
Yeah, the previous owner had jb on that ahaha. Freakn rediculous

and, yes. Yes it is a vaccum hose intake. It was off an old vaccum. I shoulda used the hose off the "dyson ball" vaccum, more trq lmao.

INTEGRA DC2
05-07-2012, 03:16 PM
fixed pics?

xracerx
05-11-2012, 10:29 PM
mine did that shit on the driver side.