PDA

View Full Version : Arp rod bolts/bearing question?

REDREX
03-23-2012, 08:25 AM
So I'm building a Poor mans type r. I bought arp rod bolts and sent my rods along with the bolts to the machine shop. It's my first time using arp rod bolts, and I know they machine the rods to make sure it's flush right?
but the question I don't know, is does it affect the bearing size? I bought a new p73 type r crank with rod and main bearings as kit. Would I need a new size rod bearing after getting the bolts installed?
Thanks guys I hope i explained well

king06
03-23-2012, 10:32 AM
I know the arp bolts are going to have a higher clamping force. Your best bet is to plastigauge or get the crank and rods mic'ed.

HeikDiesel
03-25-2012, 01:45 PM
No you won't. They machine the rods to eliminate distortion caused by the arp bolts. The bearing bore will still be the same so unless you have a machined crank or something funky your bearings will be fine. You still need to measure everything though. Just because a machine shop does work for you doesn't mean you don't have to measure

trusohc
03-25-2012, 02:11 PM
you also have to properly strech the bolts

Rzarectah
03-25-2012, 05:50 PM
Anytime something is machined the clearances are going to change, whether it be 0.0005 or 0.010, you will just need to figure out the tolerances for the bearings you're using. Get some plastiguage and see what size bearings you will need, if using OEM then you might just need to move to a different color, something thinner. It's far better to take the time to check them than to run too tight and starve the bearings of oil.

HeikDiesel
03-26-2012, 06:24 AM
Anytime something is machined the clearances are going to change, whether it be 0.0005 or 0.010, you will just need to figure out the tolerances for the bearings you're using. Get some plastiguage and see what size bearings you will need, if using OEM then you might just need to move to a different color, something thinner. It's far better to take the time to check them than to run too tight and starve the bearings of oil.

Not if something is being machined to specification. Also, you mentioned "five ten thousandths" and "ten thousandths". Big gap between those. I know what you mean, but if you are giving information it should be correct for those who aren't as familiar.

Rzarectah
03-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Not if something is being machined to specification. Also, you mentioned "five ten thousandths" and "ten thousandths". Big gap between those. I know what you mean, but if you are giving information it should be correct for those who aren't as familiar.

Well the two numbers I said were meant to be pole opposites, and milling something that is stock, which is already at spec, should take that piece out of tolerance. Irregardless, you know and I know, but the OP doesn't so as a safety net I would highly recommend plastiguage.

C.R.A.Y.
03-26-2012, 10:14 AM
To op

No

Mr.Burner
03-28-2012, 03:18 PM
When the rods get "resized" they should be machine back to the original factory spec. They should also be balanced aswell, re sizing changes the weight of each rod. You should also check the big end yourself to insure proper size for bearing selection. Or go off the numbers from the crank to the rod. GL

REDREX
03-29-2012, 07:14 PM
I probably will have to plastiguage.
I wanted to mention the itr crank I bought came with .25mm rod bearings and .50mm main bearings. The rods I have were STD.

HeikDiesel
03-30-2012, 08:23 AM
I probably will have to plastiguage.
I wanted to mention the itr crank I bought came with .25mm rod bearings and .50mm main bearings. The rods I have were STD.

You still need to run those .25mm bearings on the rods. They go off the dimensions of the crankshaft, not the rods