PDA

View Full Version : vlave adjustment question

jdmman
04-22-2012, 12:41 PM
I recently did a valve adjustment on my car to get rid of a ticking noise it made. immediately after the adjustment the noise was gone and the car ran noticeably better. Over time the the noise came back and its starting to feel more sluggish then usual. Any input? I don't want to do it again and have the problem return. engine is a b18b block with a b20 head

failedabortion
04-22-2012, 01:55 PM
how long did you wait for it to cool down before adjusting?

Del-sol-john
04-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Did you torque the lifter bolts to spec

jdmman
04-22-2012, 02:28 PM
how long did you wait for it to cool down before adjusting?
it cooled over night, i did it the next morning
Did you torque the lifter bolts to spec
I tightened the hell out of them...didn't have a torque wrench handy

jdmman
04-24-2012, 10:15 PM
Bump...anyone else have any input?

pplh8r
04-24-2012, 11:23 PM
when you did the valve adjustment were the valves too tight or too loose ?
FYI b20 heads are notorious for pulling the valve seats up into the head which will eventually lead to the valve being open all the time. When you get to that point the motor will start to misfire and could even possibly burn a valve. Usually it happens on the exhaust side !!
I have changed MANY of those heads on CRVs when I was at the dealership.

Del-sol-john
04-25-2012, 06:40 AM
when you did the valve adjustment were the valves too tight or too loose ?
FYI b20 heads are notorious for pulling the valve seats up into the head which will eventually lead to the valve being open all the time. When you get to that point the motor will start to misfire and could even possibly burn a valve. Usually it happens on the exhaust side !!
I have changed MANY of those heads on CRVs when I was at the dealership.

What does it mean if they were too tight.

pplh8r
04-25-2012, 10:00 AM
if the valve was too tight then that means that the valve seat is starting to push up into the head which in turn makes the valve stem higher than normal. This would result in the valve clearance being tighter than it should be.
You can usually get away with a valve adjustment a few times to correct the problem. Eventually you will run out of adjustment and the valve will stay open all the time which means the only repair would be to either put in a new seat or replace the head all together.

Sound=vibration
04-25-2012, 10:30 AM
it cooled over night, i did it the next morning

I tightened the hell out of them...didn't have a torque wrench handy

That's how things break. Harbor freight sells a trq. Wrench for about 20 dollars which will yield better result than just torqueing the shit out of something. Good luck. I would say try it again use proper torque spec and go from there.

Del-sol-john
04-25-2012, 10:33 AM
if the valve was too tight then that means that the valve seat is starting to push up into the head which in turn makes the valve stem higher than normal. This would result in the valve clearance being tighter than it should be.
You can usually get away with a valve adjustment a few times to correct the problem. Eventually you will run out of adjustment and the valve will stay open all the time which means the only repair would be to either put in a new seat or replace the head all together.

-.- shit