PDA

View Full Version : General engine swap question

HatchL
04-23-2012, 11:59 PM
So not too long ago I found out that my rings are bad in my EF. The sad thing is just a a little over 2 years ago I had the whole engine rebuilt, rings, pistons and everything machined and now from my knowledge the block just has worn too much and is smoking blue or the rings are really just warped.
My EF doesn't leak at all but it burns loads of oil. Almost a quart or 2 every tank. My question to everyone here is what are my options exactly?
If i were to do a swap I was thinking of going to a D16Z6 but is there anything I can do to get the D15B2 I have functional again. What would be more cost effective, or better in the long run? Im still learning the ropes and advice or opinions would be great

Also pics related tis My EF
Been awhile since ive been on AZHT feels good to be browsing the forms again.

Chef
04-24-2012, 05:32 AM
Keep it simple find yourself a nice lower milage dseries that is running and swap it in.... decide if you want to keep or change over to MPFI cause taht will help with "power" and response. whats you budget look like... if you want something simple i have a block you could use id sell ya out of my 95 hatch i know it did smoke Too bad... has some mileage on it but if you have the parts it would be an easy swap... i think first you need to figure out how much you want or can spend... then options are available because in a ef the options are pretty open...

HatchL
04-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Keep it simple find yourself a nice lower milage dseries that is running and swap it in.... decide if you want to keep or change over to MPFI cause taht will help with "power" and response. whats you budget look like... if you want something simple i have a block you could use id sell ya out of my 95 hatch i know it did smoke Too bad... has some mileage on it but if you have the parts it would be an easy swap... i think first you need to figure out how much you want or can spend... then options are available because in a ef the options are pretty open...

Thanks for your 2 cents I would like to keep the engine I have but what would I have to do to fix the problem I already have? Would I need to get a new long block that's not worn and swap the internals with new rings an all? I ask cause im just learning how to do real engine work.

My budget honestly isnt too big im a college kid as of the moment im saving gradually riding my motorcycle as my DD and my EF is chillin until I need it. Tags are good till August that's my goal to get something in there or fix what I have cause I know its not going to pass admissions in that kind of shape. If i had to give it a number I would say something like 1500 max. I have about 1/4 that saved.

about the block you have whats the specs?

HatchL
05-05-2012, 09:42 PM
no advice or opinions? i actually have some cash now to do some shoppping by the end of the month i could have the cash to actually do something with my EF

C.R.A.Y.
05-05-2012, 09:49 PM
For 1500 you could do an Ls swap.
Rebuilding the motor you have will probably cost you more and yield less power than buying a low mileage longblock

SlowEFSedan
05-05-2012, 10:15 PM
If you were to go with the z6 you would have more power just need to convrent to MPFI and obd1 wich isant much work and a lot of gain or rebuild for a little less money and same power.

HatchL
05-05-2012, 10:28 PM
For 1500 you could do an Ls swap.
Rebuilding the motor you have will probably cost you more and yield less power than buying a low mileage longblock

I would like to step up to a DOHC but its out of my budget is it really 1500 just for the full swap?

HatchL
05-05-2012, 10:30 PM
If you were to go with the z6 you would have more power just need to convrent to MPFI and obd1 wich isant much work and a lot of gain or rebuild for a little less money and same power.

ive been checkin everywhere for one, i cant seem to find one. what would be a fair price for just engine and tranny? and for a full swap? i dont want to get ripped. Also how do you spot a bad engine from a good one? ive been lookin into learning how to do compression checks and leak down tests but that wont work on a engine already pulled out will it?

gunsup0331
05-05-2012, 10:34 PM
First: find out if its rings for sure, could be valve seals (doubt it tho)

Next: pull the motor, take to machine shop and ask them if it can be bored to 75.5mm
Then: rebuild it
Stick it back in car
Drive, yo

Failing that, research swaps. You could in theory do an LS swap for your budget but it would be <stretching> it, and it would be difficult to source one in good shape.

If you can handle all the stuff related to an LS swap, you can source a JDM b20 from attarco or similar importer with low miles shipped for $600. Add a tranny, clutch, and sundries you're looking at around 2k, which is about what I've got into my b20--EF swap

SlowEFSedan
05-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Well the z6 trans is hydro so unless you do the conversion you would just you your trans of find an ef si one for better gears. A z6 in good condtion runs around 4 or 5 you can find them rebuilt for around 1000 and then just swap ot in and convret it to Mpfi and odb1 so you have vtec and the power from it.