PDA

View Full Version : what should i look out for when buying a used motor?

suicideracing13
04-27-2012, 11:35 PM
im going to buy a motor tomorrow and just wanted to ask what i should look out for. i asked him to pull the pan and valve cover he said thats cool, but what are some things i could keep my eye out for its already out of the car and been in storage for 4 months he said he used tranny fluid in it to store it. let me know what you guys think thanks any info help ful

bumpstick
04-27-2012, 11:48 PM
honestly? you can look out for anything and everything and still wind up buying a rod chucking lump of shit. is it an AZHT member?

The Punisher
04-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Look to see if its stolen. And that all the rods are actually IN the engine. Thats about all your getting.

I'd rather see it in the car running.

If its been sitting, its a mystery box! Good luck!

Buy from a reputable motor supplier if you want a guarantee! No such thing on Private Party dealings!

suicideracing13
04-28-2012, 05:07 PM
yea its a 200 dollar zc and not a memeber i just dont want to end up with a lump of shit like you said thanks guys i dont think im going to do it, i really want it but just not sure about it

meloylo
04-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Look to see if its stolen. And that all the rods are actually IN the engine. Thats about all your getting.

I'd rather see it in the car running.

If its been sitting, its a mystery box! Good luck!

Buy from a reputable motor supplier if you want a guarantee! No such thing on Private Party dealings!

all of the above.

suicideracing13
04-29-2012, 10:41 PM
thanks guys i didnt get it i think im going with hmo or someone i can trust

cd5sir
04-30-2012, 12:45 AM
You never know when buying a used motor. Hmo is the best !

skaterskash
05-02-2012, 01:55 AM
I always turn the crank and look for seal leaks its a mystery box gor sure always with a private seller

Joe118969
08-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Well I had blown a rod in my first car a 91 si with a sohc zc...gotta lookin around a few wrecking yards down broadway...and some bastard that worked at one sold me a d16y8 out of his garage....and swapped it in...and had a rod knock...and bought another dohc zc afterwards from a wrecking yard now out of business do to there lucrative business...and I had coolant burning still after 3 times replacing the headgasket that I noticed some jerk off in the past used loc-tight instead of motor oil on the head bolts...so I had to chase out all the threads...good times! oh btw the number 1 cylinder was all eaten away (a section) by rust...and I had to feed the motor about a quart of oil a month...before I sold it lol

taintschwacker
08-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Stop posting in old threads. You dont think that he purchased the engine already???"it was in april. Your input on this matter is late and not needed. Stop spamming old threads otherwise you will be the new target

bseries1320
08-05-2012, 11:30 AM
ComPression & leak down

mr.DUNK
08-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Pull the oil pan.

To me that tells all, if oil looks decent not burnt from overheating, no metal in bottem of pan and strainer then USUALLY all is well.
If they don't let me pull the pan then I'm not interested

To me I'd rather have to replace an oil pan gasket then a knocking motor.