PDA

View Full Version : car audio people

adam
06-01-2012, 09:35 PM
I have 2 of these kicker cvr12's..
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21877_Kicker-CVR124-10CVR124.html

powered by 1 of these kicker dx1000.1's..
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21910_Kicker-DX1000.1-10DX1000.1.html

They hit.. But I don't think they're running at their full potential.

Gain on amp is turned up to like between a quarter and half. Any higher and the subs start making a slapping noise or the amp shuts off when I turn the stereo up to my regular listening level.

A friend told me that happens because the subs are underpowered by the amp, and that I should get another amp.

Then someone else told me that wiring them different would make them better..

I got them already in the box wired the way they are. + to + and - to - then each sub goes to the amp. But from what I've been reading wiring like this
http://m.seimg.net/product/img/subwoofer_wiring/2_subs_DVC_4_ohm_mono_variation2.jpg
Would be better.

What do you azht people who know way more than I do about this say I should do?

Sorry if any of that sounds dumb or is worded wrong, but I'm seriously a noob to this shit, this being my first system. Any help is appreciated.

failedabortion
06-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Wire them to 1ohm like in the pic, that amp is 1ohm stable and puts out 1000wrms at 1ohm.

Turn the gain to zero and turn the volume up to the loudest you would listen to it and adjust the gain to match from there.

If the amp has a lowpass filter start around 200hz and adjust from there.

Basic info but should give you an idea to start from without me actually being able to tune the whole system.

adam
06-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Is that going to make them sound any different?

Gonna do that today. Just to make sure im understanding the picture correctly, I have to drill a hole through the divider in my box and run the wires through it right?

Jason.AZ1
06-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Is that going to make them sound any different?

Gonna do that today. Just to make sure im understanding the picture correctly, I have to drill a hole through the divider in my box and run the wires through it right?

Thats your problem there in a box take them out so they can be louder.

adam
06-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Ohhhhh. So just set them in the trunk then is what you're saying? What will hit harder, magnet side or cone side down?

Jason.AZ1
06-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Make sure the magnet is connected to the trunk metal so they don't slide. Or drill two speedwholes out so the sit inside of them.

pr1nc3s5
06-02-2012, 10:36 AM
Ignore jason and wire them just like the pic and you should be all good

mostdope

adam
06-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Lol I've known Jason long enough to know to never listen to anything he says.

But yeah, wiring them like that will make them sound better?

Jason.AZ1
06-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Lol I've known Jason long enough to know to never listen to anything he says.

But yeah, wiring them like that will make them sound better?

Lies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

adam
06-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Fuuuuu I need a drill.

adam
06-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Kay so to make sure I'm not an idiot before i actually hook it up.. Does this look right?

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/uu306/idgafk187/IMG_20120602_162642.jpg

Jason.AZ1
06-02-2012, 02:41 PM
No.

91Crx-SiR
06-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Not sure but I think you need a smaller gauge wire. Those look like they might not power your subs to the fullest?
Idk but just my .02 cents

MIRANDA88
06-02-2012, 04:43 PM
The problem here is the dam zebra box!lol why a zebra box?!?!?

adam
06-02-2012, 04:54 PM
The problem here is the dam zebra box!lol why a zebra box?!?!?

went hunting in south africa. Killed a zebra. Had nothing to do with the skin.

Jason.AZ1
06-02-2012, 04:56 PM
went hunting in south africa. Killed a zebra. Had nothing to do with the skin.

What are you some type of badass?

adam
06-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Oh forgot to mention... By ”hunting” I meant I choked it to death. after I punched him right in the nose.

adam
06-02-2012, 06:09 PM
Wire them to 1ohm like in the pic, that amp is 1ohm stable and puts out 1000wrms at 1ohm.

Turn the gain to zero and turn the volume up to the loudest you would listen to it and adjust the gain to match from there.

If the amp has a lowpass filter start around 200hz and adjust from there.

Basic info but should give you an idea to start from without me actually being able to tune the whole system.

Okay I did all this. wired them like the picture.. Had gain on amp turned all the way down.. Turned stereo up to 25, the loudest I would listen to it... Then adjusted gain, got up to the same place it was adjusted to before, same thing, light goes red on amp.

Oh and when I was outside messing with it the neighbor came out and was like damn that shits loud. Looked at my set up and said it should be louder with those subs and amp. and said the speaker wire looks too small going to the amp, and that a bigger box would make them louder. My box is 1.25 cubic feet per sub, which is within kickers recommended range of 1.0 to 4.something cubic feet.

Is this just the max I'm gonna be able to get out of my subs/amp? I'm starting to think maybe it really sounds good and I'm just being too critical on it or I'm just expecting too much out of it.

Lol when I first bought the shit I didnt really want anything crazy, just a little bump in the trunk, but now I want more. Haha

failedabortion
06-03-2012, 03:58 AM
Okay I did all this. wired them like the picture.. Had gain on amp turned all the way down.. Turned stereo up to 25, the loudest I would listen to it... Then adjusted gain, got up to the same place it was adjusted to before, same thing, light goes red on amp.

Oh and when I was outside messing with it the neighbor came out and was like damn that shits loud. Looked at my set up and said it should be louder with those subs and amp. and said the speaker wire looks too small going to the amp, and that a bigger box would make them louder. My box is 1.25 cubic feet per sub, which is within kickers recommended range of 1.0 to 4.something cubic feet.

Is this just the max I'm gonna be able to get out of my subs/amp? I'm starting to think maybe it really sounds good and I'm just being too critical on it or I'm just expecting too much out of it.

Lol when I first bought the shit I didnt really want anything crazy, just a little bump in the trunk, but now I want more. Haha

check the resistance on on the voice coils.

The speaker wire probably could use an upgrade, just from looking at it is probably 16ga and a low quality wire.

That amp shouldn't have a problem with those subs at 25% gain unless there is a problem with a vc or the amp.

Could always throw one in a 2cf ported box if space is limited or a divided 4cf ported box if you have the room. It will be louder if that is what you're looking for.

88todab16crx
06-04-2012, 07:15 AM
I had this problem once and it turned ouy to be that my power cable going for the battery to the amp was to small.

adam
06-04-2012, 01:48 PM
check the resistance on on the voice coils.

The speaker wire probably could use an upgrade, just from looking at it is probably 16ga and a low quality wire.

That amp shouldn't have a problem with those subs at 25% gain unless there is a problem with a vc or the amp.

Could always throw one in a 2cf ported box if space is limited or a divided 4cf ported box if you have the room. It will be louder if that is what you're looking for.

Will a ported box thats a little bigger than what i have now be louder? I don't have much room.

adam
06-04-2012, 01:51 PM
I had this problem once and it turned ouy to be that my power cable going for the battery to the amp was to small.

What size do you think I should be running? I dont really know much about this stuff.. But that sounds pretty possible. Lol I might just get new thicker wire all around.. Speaker and power. I just dont know what sizes to buy?

88todab16crx
06-04-2012, 01:56 PM
What do you have on it now. Probably what you have now go one size bigger. I also had a cap on mine that helps and makes sure your amp is well fed.

adam
06-05-2012, 09:18 AM
What do you have on it now. Probably what you have now go one size bigger. I also had a cap on mine that helps and makes sure your amp is well fed.

Im pretty sure I have 8 now. And I've heard so many different opinions on capaciters, somr say they work and some say they don't do anything.

Nachooooosupreme
06-05-2012, 09:28 AM
You will definitely get more bass out of a ported box. Non ported boxes are for smaller areas and from what I read you're .25 cf above box specs so hopefully you could use that space for a larger ported box.

88todab16crx
06-05-2012, 09:56 AM
I would put a 4 on that thingg and yes caps do work.

Jason.AZ1
06-05-2012, 01:44 PM
if you run the +/- from the subs straight to your battery they would be alot louder.

adam
06-05-2012, 02:48 PM
You will definitely get more bass out of a ported box. Non ported boxes are for smaller areas and from what I read you're .25 cf above box specs so hopefully you could use that space for a larger ported box.

Actually.. i just got done switching to a ported box like 5 minutes ago. Lol definitely more bass.
I would put a 4 on that thingg and yes caps do work.

and thats the next thing I'm gonna do. Probably tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

adam
06-05-2012, 02:49 PM
if you run the +/- from the subs straight to your battery they would be alot louder.

I'll probably try that when I run the bigger power wire. Wish me luck. Dick.

Jason.AZ1
06-05-2012, 03:22 PM
so did you put speed holes in your box? ricer

failedabortion
06-06-2012, 03:01 AM
4ga should be fine, put the money you would use for a cap towards a ho alternator instead.

Fix.it.again.Tony
06-06-2012, 02:25 PM
I think he should start lower than 200hz cutoff for 12's, they don't sound good for those higher bass frequencies in my opinion.

trujdm
06-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Make sure you use 4 AWG ground as well when you change to 4 AWG power wire. It would be a waste to use the 8 AWG ground with a 4 AWG power wire.

failedabortion
06-08-2012, 08:32 PM
I think he should start lower than 200hz cutoff for 12's, they don't sound good for those higher bass frequencies in my opinion.

Those subs have a frequency response up to 500hz(although I would never set the lowpass cutoff on kickers that high because they were never good for sql). But not knowing his front staging and that they're in a sealed prefab box 200hz is a good starting point...never said to stay around 200...just to adjust from there.

Rufus
06-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Omg those electrons must be having a seizure on such small wire. Great way to NOT dissipate heat