PDA

View Full Version : tube notcher

failedabortion
07-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Anyone use one? If so which one and how do you like it?

Thinking ill get tired of printing templates and grinding before I even start...either looking at buying one or a diy build.

Edit: forgot about using a chop saw for notching tube...might need to look into a good metal blade though.

Koopa Troopa
07-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Plasma cutter won't work?

failedabortion
07-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Plasma cutter won't work?

Print template, notch one side, flip notch other side or just trace it and hope its close...Sounds like fun. A notcher sounds more precise and I have a few extra corded drills that are strong enough.

INTEGRA DC2
07-03-2012, 05:22 PM
I have the harbor freight tubing Notcher and it works OK. Key is to not use the Cheap hole saws, Pay the little extra and get the good one

failedabortion
07-04-2012, 12:58 AM
I have the harbor freight tubing Notcher and it works OK. Key is to not use the Cheap hole saws, Pay the little extra and get the good one

prefer to stay away from ones that use bushings instead of bearings, looking at this one http://www.baileighindustrial.com/notchers/hole-saw-tube-notcher-tn210h.php

No worries on using cheap consumables here, Have a bunch of cheap hf cut off wheels...but only because they were free lol.

INTEGRA DC2
07-04-2012, 02:23 PM
That is nice!!^^

ibk13
07-04-2012, 02:32 PM
We got one at work the bearing one it works pretty damn nice I can post pix of the work if you'd like

failedabortion
07-04-2012, 05:11 PM
That is nice!!^^

I like this one better as it can notch in bends and pretty much has no angle limits but its $600...
http://www.baileighindustrial.com/notchers/tube-notcher-tn250.php

We got one at work the bearing one it works pretty damn nice I can post pix of the work if you'd like

Its ok I found some pics in their vendor thread on pirate, thanks though.

RICK's-TOWING
07-06-2012, 08:29 PM
The best thing I've ever done to save the life on hole saws is a good cutting oil! And that goes for drill bits as well. Best tube notcher I've used is a belt notcher. Way faster and nice notches.

ph8ed4life
07-06-2012, 09:08 PM

And I can second this since I work there too ;)

The best thing I've ever done to save the life on hole saws is a good cutting oil! And that goes for drill bits as well. Best tube notcher I've used is a belt notcher. Way faster and nice notches.

Yeah those belt ones look pretty dope, how do they work on thicker walled DOM tube?

RICK's-TOWING
07-07-2012, 12:51 PM
And I can second this since I work there too ;)

Yeah those belt ones look pretty dope, how do they work on thicker walled DOM tube?

its crazy to think when i first used it i thought to myself, no fing way this will work out good. honestly it worked amazing on everything ive used it on. SS schd 40 is extermely harsh on all abrasives and tools. it took it no problem.

failedabortion
07-08-2012, 07:17 PM
I use used motor oil for cutting lube...probably not the best but they last longer than dry. Also have new sets of bits cryoed before I use them, they seem to last longer and take forever to get sloppy.

What's a good cold cut chop saw blade? I see ones from $100-250...little expensive to experiment with.

ph8ed4life
07-11-2012, 08:03 AM
its crazy to think when i first used it i thought to myself, no fing way this will work out good. honestly it worked amazing on everything ive used it on. SS schd 40 is extermely harsh on all abrasives and tools. it took it no problem.

Nice, I'll have to check those out some more!

failedabortion
07-18-2012, 03:48 PM
No opinions on a good cold cut saw blade for the chop saw? Tired of buying abrasive cut offs and black shit everywhere...off to google for research.

Edit: dry cut blade technically...would love to build a cold cut saw though.