PDA

View Full Version : overheated head, possible milling, adjustable cam gear

OBDXherr13
07-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Hey everyone, I've got a 96 hx d16y5 that has a build plan in the works. Boosted 8lbs by the end of the year.

Either way, a little while back I started overheating at very random intervals. Changed literally everything. Thermostat, hoses, had radiator checked... to no avail it continued happening. Come to find out that my head gasket is blown, no water in the oil but it is pushing exhaust gases into the coolant system.

Since I'm going boost anyways I figured now would be a good time to do a cometic head gasket and arp stud setup. But my question really is this... I don't want the head to be milled to the Max, infact I don't really want it milled at all because of the boost but in the event that it needs to be milled, what is the Max it can be milled before I would need an adjustable cam gear. I'm on a budget here and am hoping I won't have to get one just yet because the gasket and arp studs and OEM timing belt kit with water pump and belts and seals had stolen all my money right now.

I am new to azht and if this info is posted anywhere else I'm sorry for creating a new thread. I have spent probably 6 hours today trying to find just this little piece of info all over the info and I haven't been able to find a straight answer.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rzarectah
07-09-2012, 07:31 PM
I milled my head .020 and still don't need a cam gear on my f22

OBDXherr13
07-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Anyone with a d-series care to chime in? Would it be the same as an h22?

Rzarectah
07-09-2012, 07:45 PM
Should be able to check the heads service limit. That should be your answer.

OBDXherr13
07-09-2012, 07:46 PM
Anyone with a d-series care to chime in? Would it be the same as an h22?

I'm sorry, meant f22. Stupid phone.

OBDXherr13
07-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Found it, "maximum resurface limit is 0.2 mm (0.008 in) based on a height of 93mm (3.66 in)"

I'm stupid. I didn't check my Honda service manual. So dumb of me.

b18c6
07-09-2012, 08:32 PM
i could help you do this no problem except i would not use the cometic gasket stick to the honda head gasket "NEW" ofcourse
I use these grinding stones on the head one a lil course and the final more fine ive done probly thousands of these and never had a problem.. If you need any more help PM me goood luck

FF For Life
07-26-2012, 04:30 PM
[quote=OBDXherr13;2868657] what is the Max it can be milled before I would need an adjustable cam gear. quote]

You wont need a cam gear if you are milling your head, your just lowering the head on a super minimal scale, the timing belt will take up the slack when properly adjusted.