PDA

View Full Version : meals. help!

Dedspool Superior Tuned
09-14-2012, 11:05 PM
anybody have some food advice or quick meals?
share your recipes :)

if it helps im a full time student and work part time 32 hrs. i stay up late studying and try and workout when i can. im currently 225 was 235, 5'10. last time i checked my BF was at 32% if i remember but i know its past 30%. Although i am losing weight i still feel my diet can be better.

thanks for your time.

randizle
09-15-2012, 01:27 AM
Precook your meals of carbs and a choice of lean protien in tupperware. I always have about 8-10 things packed of rice and chicken. Get away from the idea of eating cause it taste good :)

bb4arson
09-15-2012, 03:53 AM
steak , chicken and rice maker . broccoli . quick meals .

i tried making the sentence short and to the point.

Spec C
09-15-2012, 09:05 AM
I think the entire diet as a while is more important than specific meals. I can list some easy meals, and if you eat them you might gain weight due to the rest of your diet, and just consuming too many calories.

If you are legitimately over 30% bodyfat, you might be able to lose a good chunk of weight just cleaning things up a bit, even without tracking calories.

Why don't you post what you ate yesterday, and the day before, and maybe we can make suggestions based on that, where you can change things for better results.

Precook your meals of carbs and a choice of lean protien in tupperware. I always have about 8-10 things packed of rice and chicken. Get away from the idea of eating cause it taste good :)
While I agree to some degree, that leads most people to burn out. Eating boring ass food, day in and day out. Not everyone is equipped to do that for ever. And imo you should have some enjoyment from eating.

There are plenty of ways to fit good tasting, and often considered junk food into a diet, at specific times.

I love food, so I wanna enjoy meals out with my wife, and things I like on a daily basis.

j-dizzle
09-15-2012, 11:34 PM
i love boiling chicken and then shredding it. you can add it in to almost anything. 3oz add to whatever..

also alot of people think dieting is just eating better. its about portion control. invest in a food scale.

Dedspool Superior Tuned
09-15-2012, 11:39 PM
thanks guys :) im really trying hard to get to my goals.

yesterday
one egg with toast and hot sauce in the morning.
small mixed fruit cup.
and 2 slices of pizza lol! my weakness.

today
small yoplait yogurt for the early morning
half a hand full of pecans.
chicken boiled with spices on a wheat bagel dry no condiments.
white rice and small portion of chicken with teryiaki sauce lightly added.

i just cut down a lot of foods i don't need or i will eat a small amount for now.

Dedspool Superior Tuned
09-15-2012, 11:47 PM

yea i just started that because im really busy and its always nice to have a good meal that you will enjoy instead of a boring salad from QT.
steak , chicken and rice maker . broccoli . quick meals .

i tried making the sentence short and to the point.
word. i will invest in a rice maker. I freaking love rice!

I think the entire diet as a while is more important than specific meals. I can list some easy meals, and if you eat them you might gain weight due to the rest of your diet, and just consuming too many calories.

If you are legitimately over 30% bodyfat, you might be able to lose a good chunk of weight just cleaning things up a bit, even without tracking calories.

Why don't you post what you ate yesterday, and the day before, and maybe we can make suggestions based on that, where you can change things for better results.

While I agree to some degree, that leads most people to burn out. Eating boring ass food, day in and day out. Not everyone is equipped to do that for ever. And imo you should have some enjoyment from eating.

There are plenty of ways to fit good tasting, and often considered junk food into a diet, at specific times.

I love food, so I wanna enjoy meals out with my wife, and things I like on a daily basis.
thanks spec! and already listed. And yea just by substituting cookies for nuts or drinking water instead of falling for my cravings i feel good and have lost weight.

i love boiling chicken and then shredding it. you can add it in to almost anything. 3oz add to whatever..

also alot of people think dieting is just eating better. its about portion control. invest in a food scale.
thanks man! do you know any stores that might have them?

j-dizzle
09-15-2012, 11:49 PM
i got mine at walmart for like 6.99 because i broke my nice one and the cheap on works great!

Spec C
09-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Your calories look pretty low even given two slices of pizza.

Seeing your two days of eating I bet you'd do well on an interment fasting protocol. It would afford you some good wiggle room and likely be an easy transition.

Dedspool Superior Tuned
09-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Your calories look pretty low even given two slices of pizza.

Seeing your two days of eating I bet you'd do well on an interment fasting protocol. It would afford you some good wiggle room and likely be an easy transition.

Just looked that stuff up. Sounds like a fun task. Is it safe for the shape im in? I want to try it but for how long?

Spec C
09-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Forever. Sure it is safe. I would wager your bloodwork would improve considerably.

I've been eating like that for over 2 years now.

The protocol I follow is:
http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

16hr fast/8hr feeding

I basically fast until noon every day, then eat my first meal. I eat again around 5, and again around 8:30.

You could do two meals, you could do 4 meals, etc. Just up to you. Some days if I know I am going to eat a bit "off" for dinner, I will just fast right through my noon meal or have a super small meal there, and just eat at 5, and 8.

Depending on your schedule you might prefer to fast from like 11pm until 3pm, etc. You want to keep the time you break your fast the same everyday, because your body gets accustomed to eating at that time and you don't really get hungry until you are nearing your fast break.

Since you aren't really lifting you don't have to worry too much about cycling your calories.

Dedspool Superior Tuned
09-17-2012, 12:08 AM
ima start this week and see how it goes for me. thanks spec! i will post results and keep it updated.

randizle
09-17-2012, 01:23 AM
To keep my metabolic rate up i eat a small meal every 2 1/2 hrs and i have noticed my body stores less by always being fed. Tilapia with lemon juice,pepper and brown rice (secret wepon ;)

Spec C
09-17-2012, 06:28 AM
To keep my metabolic rate up i eat a small meal every 2 1/2 hrs and i have noticed my body stores less by always being fed. Tilapia with lemon juice,pepper and brown rice (secret wepon ;)

No offense but that's been scientifically debunked more than once. In fact larger feedings might actually have more of an effect on metabolism.

If you were eating for example, 250g protein, 250 carb, 100g fat split evenly between 6 meals, and made no other change but to cut it to 3-4 meals you notice no difference in body composition.

randizle
09-17-2012, 07:18 PM
I go according to results i have had in the past and not ( scientific studies from online) but not olny that im friends with a few amateur natural bodybuilders and they all stick to eating every 3hrs to keep from going into a catabolic state.

Im a firm believer in always keeping the body fed every 3 hrs and also adjusting your diet to your specific goals.

Spec C
09-17-2012, 07:55 PM
I go according to results i have had in the past and not ( scientific studies from online) but not olny that im friends with a few amateur natural bodybuilders and they all stick to eating every 3hrs to keep from going into a catabolic state.

Im a firm believer in always keeping the body fed every 3 hrs and also adjusting your diet to your specific goals.

Cool, and I would wager you have never set-up your diet in the SAME exact fashion with the ONLY difference being meal frequency.

Secondly your body doesn't go catabolic in 3hrs..lol When you eat, your plasma AA's are elevated for HOURS. Maybe if you are running a marathon for 3hrs between meals. haha

Thirdly, if you wanna go by results, we can look at DR Layne Norton's research and results as a natural PRO bb'er who says by eating protein every 2-3hrs you cause a refractory response and actually inhibit protein synthesis. By spacing meals out to every 4-5hrs, and spiking AA's with free form AA's you can avoid this refractory response. What do your bro's have to say about that?

Lastly, I am not saying one is better than the other, I am saying there is little to no difference. Both work, given everything is in order. If you enjoy eating every 2.74hrs awesome, not everyone can maintain that consistently for long periods of time, so if there is no need for it, and it doesn't improve gains, than why do it?

My only issue is your opinions you have stated as fact. Having an opinion is different than making false statements, based on nothing more than "bro-lore".

randizle
09-17-2012, 08:22 PM
For 1 i dont know why your referring to my friends as (bros) or brolore? Im not sure what that means but you sound like your being a douch bag, and for 2 i dont feel the need to read (DR layne nortons ) research.
I know what works for me and my (brolores) and i thank you for your input.

Spec C
09-17-2012, 09:14 PM
For 1 i dont know why your referring to my friends as (bros) or brolore? Im not sure what that means but you sound like your being a douch bag, and for 2 i dont feel the need to read (DR layne nortons ) research.
I know what works for me and my (brolores) and i thank you for your input.

Read it, don't read it, I could care less. But be ready to defend your position, if you spout nonsense in here, because I will call you out on it. Nothing more I dislike than people talking others out of perfectly sound diet approaches because of some ridiculous nonsense that just gets parroted with no merit.

I know at 170lb 15%bf you CLEARLY know it all and have the results to back it up. You obviously know what works for you, and it is totally impossible there might be a better way out there.

People with your mindset will never progress past their half ass understanding on lifting and nutrition.

randizle
09-17-2012, 10:03 PM
You should probley humble yourself, you seem to think your some kind of professional diet nutritionist and what you have to say for your dieting makes no sence. Unless you have schooling to back up your ( knowledge) your not any smarter then myself or the next guy at the gym who googles all his info.

No point to post agin i wont be reading it

Spec C
09-17-2012, 10:34 PM
You should probley humble yourself, you seem to think your some kind of professional diet nutritionist and what you have to say for your dieting makes no sence. Unless you have schooling to back up your ( knowledge) your not any smarter then myself or the next guy at the gym who googles all his info.

No point to post agin i wont be reading it

LOL maybe it makes no sense to you because you know the bare minimum in regards to dieting.

I'm pretty humble. I'm always eager to learn. You should try it sometime.

kaioshin93
09-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Forever. Sure it is safe. I would wager your bloodwork would improve considerably.

I've been eating like that for over 2 years now.

The protocol I follow is:
http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

16hr fast/8hr feeding

I basically fast until noon every day, then eat my first meal. I eat again around 5, and again around 8:30.

You could do two meals, you could do 4 meals, etc. Just up to you. Some days if I know I am going to eat a bit "off" for dinner, I will just fast right through my noon meal or have a super small meal there, and just eat at 5, and 8.

Depending on your schedule you might prefer to fast from like 11pm until 3pm, etc. You want to keep the time you break your fast the same everyday, because your body gets accustomed to eating at that time and you don't really get hungry until you are nearing your fast break.

Since you aren't really lifting you don't have to worry too much about cycling your calories.

I've been using this method since June. I went on vacation to visit my brothers and they made me feel pretty self concious about the pounds I had packed on hahaha. I started this on 6/4/12 weighing 205 and to date I am sitting at 181. I'm sure there are other methods that work just as good, but this one in particular worked very well for me!

Spec C
09-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Nice work dude. I am sure that is a huge difference.

IF is awesome because it is practical. Much easier for the avg person to stick to, and follow. Also gives a lot of lee-way for foods you enjoy.

kaioshin93
09-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Nice work dude. I am sure that is a huge difference.

IF is awesome because it is practical. Much easier for the avg person to stick to, and follow. Also gives a lot of lee-way for foods you enjoy.
Thanks! I definitely feel a lot better and the lee-way with the foods keeps the diet from getting too boring or bland. I cut out all the crap during the week and on the weekends I have the freedom to eat like a dirty pig hahahaha!

Spec C
09-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks! I definitely feel a lot better and the lee-way with the foods keeps the diet from getting too boring or bland. I cut out all the crap during the week and on the weekends I have the freedom to eat like a dirty pig hahahaha!

Sell me that evo..lol

kaioshin93
09-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Sell me that evo..lol

Hahahaha maybe in a few years when i'm ready to step up to the new Lexus GS350!

Spec C
09-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Hahahaha maybe in a few years when i'm ready to step up to the new Lexus GS350!

The F-sport?

failedabortion
09-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Going to give this a shot also(ifp). I have spine damage and arthritis, getting my weight back down definitely helps with pain management.

Any suggestions on bcaa powder? Have no problem ordering online as it is $10 cheaper from the few I looked up through amazon compared to the prices on gnc's website.

Im also not a morning eater. but my work schedule might mess it up one day a week, one day is 7am-5pm the rest are 3pm-1am. Make that one morning shift the rest day?

Goal is to lose weight and build muscle to support my spine to help lessen pain from damage and arthritis.

Didn't want to start another thread but will if lalos thinks im trying to jack his:wave1:

Spec C
09-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Going to give this a shot also(ifp). I have spine damage and arthritis, getting my weight back down definitely helps with pain management.

Any suggestions on bcaa powder? Have no problem ordering online as it is $10 cheaper from the few I looked up through amazon compared to the prices on gnc's website.

Im also not a morning eater. but my work schedule might mess it up one day a week, one day is 7am-5pm the rest are 3pm-1am. Make that one morning shift the rest day?

Goal is to lose weight and build muscle to support my spine to help lessen pain from damage and arthritis.

Didn't want to start another thread but will if lalos thinks im trying to jack his:wave1:

BCAA's what is more important to you price or flavor? That would dictate my recommendation.

Why do you feel that morning shift would screw up your diet? Or are you refering to lifting?

What time do you normally go to bed? With that schedule I would probably fast from like 10 or 11pm until 2-3pm(16hrs). So you would eat your first meal at say 2-3, another one at like 7, and another an 10-11 depending on what times you choose.

On days you work mornings just fast the same time. It shouldn't be a problem.

You want to kind of keep the time you break your fast consistent. Your body gets accustomed when you eat, and when to expect food. Most typically wont get hungry until leading up to the first meal.

kaioshin93
09-19-2012, 07:50 PM
The F-sport?

The F Sport would be nice, but it may be out of the price range by a bit. I expect these cars to hold their value for a long time!

Failedabortion, you should definitely try IF. Once you get used to the schedule and cut most of the garbage food out, it's easy sailing!

Spec C
09-19-2012, 07:51 PM
The Fsport is on my radar in a couple years. That or I will move into a ls460. I have a ls430UL right now, and LOVE IT.

failedabortion
09-19-2012, 07:53 PM
BCAA's what is more important to you price or flavor? That would dictate my recommendation.

Why do you feel that morning shift would screw up your diet? Or are you refering to lifting?

What time do you normally go to bed? With that schedule I would probably fast from like 10 or 11pm until 2-3pm(16hrs). So you would eat your first meal at say 2-3, another one at like 7, and another an 10-11 depending on what times you choose.

On days you work mornings just fast the same time. It shouldn't be a problem.

You want to kind of keep the time you break your fast consistent. Your body gets accustomed when you eat, and when to expect food. Most typically wont get hungry until leading up to the first meal.

A bcaa in the middle would be fine, flavor isn't as important as quality to me. I have some whey protein laying around to get me started and already take a multi, fish oil and celebrex(not sure if this will effect anything) daily.

The morning shift was brought up because my sleep schedule is different that one day by about 3-4 hours usually. Normally I wake up around 10am and go to sleep around 3-4am but try to get to bed before midnight to wake up at 6am on my morning shift.

Biggest thing will be portion control for me as currently I eat two small meals/snacks during the day and tend to over eat dinner.

Spec C
09-19-2012, 08:02 PM
A bcaa in the middle would be fine, flavor isn't as important as quality to me. I have some whey protein laying around to get me started and already take a multi, fish oil and celebrex(not sure if this will effect anything) daily.

The morning shift was brought up because my sleep schedule is different that one day by about 3-4 hours usually. Normally I wake up around 10am and go to sleep around 3-4am but try to get to bed before midnight to wake up at 6am on my morning shift.

Biggest thing will be portion control for me as currently I eat two small meals/snacks during the day and tend to over eat dinner.

Good quality, cheap, doesn't taste the greatest(but do-able)
http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/uspowders/bulk-modern-bcaa-1-kg.html?sel=4297

Good quality, not cheap, taste good:
http://www.getrippednutrition.com/Scivation_Xtend_p/scivxtend90.htm
or
http://www.getrippednutrition.com/Recover_Pro_p/airecover1000.htm

As far as the day-shift, it isn't really important when you wake up. Just fast until your normal eating time regardless, and stop eating at the normal time.

If you picked 10pm to start your fast you would just stop eating at 10pm and fast until 2pm the next day. You "could" cut your fast short on this one day a week, but I'd try and stick it out.

failedabortion
09-19-2012, 08:40 PM
Sounds good, thanks. will hopefully make it to the store soon I've needed to go grocery shopping all weak and have been eating less(smaller portions) but most meals are junk food lol.

Spec C
09-19-2012, 08:50 PM
No worries.

Dedspool Superior Tuned
09-22-2012, 03:53 PM
i have been going to the gym lately and i still weight the same, but feel healthier and look a little more defined. i wish i had before pics but i will take pics tonight and upload them with the progress :)

skar1.0
09-22-2012, 07:20 PM
i have been going to the gym lately and i still weight the same, but feel healthier and look a little more defined. i wish i had before pics but i will take pics tonight and upload them with the progress :)

Good job bro!!!

Dedspool Superior Tuned
09-29-2012, 06:53 PM
:) .

gunsup0331
12-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Im not an expert on these things but in response to OP i would explore your grocery store and kitchen. If you wanna eat healthy to drop weight youre going to have to cook your own meals. Plain and simple. A lot of it is common sense but the name of the game is eat less calories than you burn to lose weight. If you are sedentary, youre gonna be hungry lol If you are active then cut out carbs and sugars, lean heavy on proteins and veggies. You may notice a drop in energy levels at first but power through until your body gets used to it and youll be fine.

I buy a big bag of chicken breast every week, marinate however i feel, then cook one or two batches (depending on how i want them) on the grill usually. I pair the breast with a veggie, like peppers (fajitas), broccoli and carrots, snap peas (stir fry)...etc for several meals throughout the week. I just refrigerate whatever I dont eat the first night and pair it with something different for the next few meals.
Tilapia is also relatively inexpensive and super easy to cook, i pretty much do the same process as the chicken. I dont eat a lot of carbs in the eves or even much after noon. Before noon i eat whatever the fuck i want because im in the gym everyday, you may need to regulate all your meals till youre happy with your body fat levels.

Here are some meal ideas for you that i do myself, doesnt take much time or money.
(get friendly with allrecipes.com if unsure about stuff)
Chix breast with teriyaki bbq sauce and stir fry veggies
Chix breast with pretty much any veggies (get a steamer!!!!)
tilapia with mex veggies for tacos/fajitas/etc
lean beef burglars with lettuce and tomatoes, no buns or one bun per two patties
lean beef or turkey tacos with mex veggies
eggs and lean ham with bell peps
fried eggs with chicken breast and soy sauce (chinese style)
hamburglar helper with 1.5 instead of 1 lb meat, makes it slightly more protein dense and lasts like 3-4 meals
cottage cheese with various fruits mixed in
steaks with salads
fruits and veggies whenever and wherever possible

Eating relatively clean 90% of the time means that 10% of the time i can get shitfaced, eat fast food, etc without guilt.
Eating low carb has worked almost too well for me lol. My goal was to gain 25lbs from June till September.
I gained a total of 8lbs in that timeframe and seem to be stuck on that # since september haha
On a positive note, I am lean as fuck and look pretty jacked just because my body fat is so low

Amiss
12-17-2012, 09:51 PM
you should look into keto

jakellama123
12-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Heavy on the carbs obviously but a quick and easy meal is to boil ramen noodles, dont add flavoring, grill chicken or cook on stove with some veggies, add some teriyaki sauce or something and enjoy. If you do not have time to work out you can always do 50 pushups, 50 situps, dips, buy some cheap weights and do curls, etc. You can do a quick 20-30 min workout at home without having to drive to the gym. Of course could also toss in a 15-20 min run in the morning before you leave or after work. I would always go to work/school, do my hw, then try to get exercise in. I can never have focus for school work after working out. Also a good pre-workout formula will really help to motivate you to exercise even when you are tired and dont feel that you have the energy to workout. Also make sure to never eat late at night and I almost never eat to the point where I am full so I have a pretty small stomach. If you ever do not have any time to make a healthy meal or need something for times such as between school and work just avoid fats, sweets and really starchy foods. Granola bars, protein bars, salads with low-fat/non-fat dressings, wraps, etc are good ideas.

HOEZAY_G21
12-21-2012, 02:56 PM
thanks guys :) im really trying hard to get to my goals.

yesterday
one egg with toast and hot sauce in the morning.
small mixed fruit cup.
and 2 slices of pizza lol! my weakness.

today
small yoplait yogurt for the early morning
half a hand full of pecans.
chicken boiled with spices on a wheat bagel dry no condiments.
white rice and small portion of chicken with teryiaki sauce lightly added.

i just cut down a lot of foods i don't need or i will eat a small amount for now.

how much sugar does the yoplait have? i eat the kroger brand greek yogurt its pretty good for you. Like you Pizza is my weakness i use to eat it like 4 times a week no joke its been about 3 1/2 weeks of no pizza and very little bread . just doing that i lost about 3 pounds and i kept my regular diet and exercise schedule.