PDA

View Full Version : HELP! 5-3-1-ers! what do you do when youre sick?

intel
09-24-2012, 02:29 PM
just wondering since ive been sick for about 2 weeks now (still under the weather).

ive made some attempts to keep up the progress, but i end up getting light headed very fast and dont want to end up injuring myself and prolonging my downtime.

I've been doing this 5-3-1 for a few months now and love it....but what do i do when im sick?

do i just avoid the gym until im better?

*when i return do i start where i left off? or back at week one for the 4 week process? or do i test my new 1 rep max again?

like what?

let me know thoughts!

rotneg
10-06-2012, 11:00 AM
take the time off, your creating a lot of demand on your body. depending on how long you take off will determine the amount of strength you lose, also how long you have been working out will be a factor. when I first started working out my strength loss would be quite a bit after 2 weeks, but recently I took 2 weeks off for tendonitis and came back and didnt lose much at all. while your warming up you should be able to determine what weight you will be able to do

Spec C
10-06-2012, 01:12 PM
just wondering since ive been sick for about 2 weeks now (still under the weather).

ive made some attempts to keep up the progress, but i end up getting light headed very fast and dont want to end up injuring myself and prolonging my downtime.

I've been doing this 5-3-1 for a few months now and love it....but what do i do when im sick?

do i just avoid the gym until im better?

*when i return do i start where i left off? or back at week one for the 4 week process? or do i test my new 1 rep max again?

like what?

let me know thoughts!
First off how sick? I mean there is a certain element of sacking up and training when sick. If you are bed bound then obviously you don't wanna be lifting, but lifting through a cold, or cough, etc is a normal thing for me.

I would start off where you left off in the 5-3-1 template. Also remember you should be using a "training" max not your true 1rm.

intel
10-07-2012, 01:51 PM
First off how sick? I mean there is a certain element of sacking up and training when sick. If you are bed bound then obviously you don't wanna be lifting, but lifting through a cold, or cough, etc is a normal thing for me.

I would start off where you left off in the 5-3-1 template. Also remember you should be using a "training" max not your true 1rm.

oh no way. i work through anything i can; this time it was the flu...

yea i continued right where i left off hauling ass. it felt great. and i do believe im using my training max ( well im inputting my 1rm into the blackironbeast 531 calculator which i believe converts it to the training max in the sets.

btw anyone know what the "sets across percentage " changes when using the boring but big option?

Spec C
10-07-2012, 02:56 PM
btw anyone know what the "sets across percentage " changes when using the boring but big option?

It changes the percents of your training max that are used for the "boring but big" sets. Those are the 5 sets of 10 that come after your 531 sets.

I would start at 40% of your training max for month 1, then 50 % for month 2, then 60% for month 3.

intel
10-12-2012, 08:10 PM
It changes the percents of your training max that are used for the "boring but big" sets. Those are the 5 sets of 10 that come after your 531 sets.

I would start at 40% of your training max for month 1, then 50 % for month 2, then 60% for month 3.

THANK YOU TONSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! i was using the recommended 30% and was feeling very lame about it, but didnt want to make any major changes to the routine.

appreciate the info!

Dermos
10-24-2012, 04:08 AM
Wait for recovery! :)