PDA

View Full Version : Looking to turbo! Help? Suggestion?

Magpagaling
11-27-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm aware of the risks of force induction and the cost it comes with it. Even knowing this I'd like to get a good turbo set up. Something I can still possibly drive daily but have the extra hp when needed.

That being said anyone know of a good turbo set up to start off with? I'm later on going to slowly build it up more but for now a basic turbo build would be nice. Is there any places I can go I always hear good things about AFI, Built by notorious, some other random shops I could go to get it my ride turbo'd. Suggestions?

jakellama123
11-27-2012, 02:39 PM
What kinda car?
What budget?
Any hp goals?

IMPORTBEATSMUSCLE
11-27-2012, 08:51 PM
^^^^ ding ding ding.
Your questions can not be answered with out information, like having butt sex with your slutty cousin.

TaffyFG2
11-28-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm aware of the risks of force induction and the cost it comes with it. Even knowing this I'd like to get a good turbo set up. Something I can still possibly drive daily but have the extra hp when needed.

That being said anyone know of a good turbo set up to start off with? I'm later on going to slowly build it up more but for now a basic turbo build would be nice. Is there any places I can go I always hear good things about AFI, Built by notorious, some other random shops I could go to get it my ride turbo'd. Suggestions?

AFI doesn't make a kit for our chassis. I would just start off with a great kit rather than cheapy ones. Boost Junkyz. Local. Great guy and VERY good price. I'd say they are pretty much equal to Full Race. Talk to My07si.

My07SI
12-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Boost junkyz FTW!!!!

AZ_CIVIC
12-18-2012, 06:18 PM
If your looking to turbo your car right I can give you a list of everything you would need to have an awesome car. Only problem is you need to have about 15K, with this you can have a turbo car that won't break on you.

TaffyFG2
12-18-2012, 08:42 PM
You can do it with 5-6k.

AZ_CIVIC
12-18-2012, 09:05 PM
You can do it with 5-6k.

Yeah if your only planning on doing a turbo kit with a stock motor, stock trans, etc.

Not sure if your planning on building a sweet car or just trying to turbo it real quick until you bust your motor or trans.

ksboi
12-21-2012, 01:53 AM
Plenty of guys running 400+ for 15k miles on stock block.

TaffyFG2
12-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Dave's still 500 on stock block. No problems.

AZ_CIVIC
12-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Rule of Thumb and best advice I can give:

Talk to people who own and have built 8 and 9 seconds hondas: Talk with Aaron at TSR or Joe from Locash, these people can give you the best advice on proper setups, tunes, parts and altogther help you meet the goals you are looking to accomplish with real world advice.

Like Joe always tells me think long term, you may want 400 HP now but are you planning on something bigger and better a year from now, if so it is cheaper and easier to do things right the first time then have to double down your money later.

918civic
12-27-2012, 04:27 PM
06 + Civic I take it?

Start here:

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/turbocharging/

Read the FAQ's and other related threads.

Magpagaling
02-17-2013, 01:23 AM
I looked into quite a few places trying to take in everything and still would like to get my K20 boosted but was wondering on what are some peoples' opinions on the guys at Boost Junkyz?
Do Boost Junkyz make a reliable build with out having to upgrade internals?

With what AZ_CIVIC has replied, i'm not sure if i want to boost my car at all... I should be doing the normal thing everyone else does first, new exhaust, wheel/tires/suspension, hondata, HIDs and butt sex with your girlfriend.

Burning out my engine/trans in 15k after having a turbo installed is not what i'm wanting to get into. I understand there are plenty of things that could go wrong or break after the turbo is installed, but I don't drive like every light is a drag race either, I just don't slow down in turns =). From what I read as long as it is done right and not punching it majority of the time, problems will be minimal.

From what I have read, on top of a basic turbo kit, I should also be getting a Stage 1++ clutch, flywheel, a CMC upgrade, gauges for air/boost/oil, boost controller, hondata? I am keeping in mind i'm bone stock right now and still a noob to a lot of this so i'm sure i'm missing things like internal upgrades.

My07SI
02-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Boost Junkyz is very high quality and a great kit! I made 462/300 on my gt3076r with boost Junkyz kit and ran it for 10 months with zero problems! Then my oil pump failed and caused some issues with my thrust bearings. Not turbo or turbo kit related whatsoever so my boost Junkyz kit is now for sale and the at will be down at the shop this week with a new motor and new kit being built. Going bigger and better lol. I recommend going boost Junkyz 100% it's local as price can't be beat . Just because you go boost doesn't mean you have to make tons of power! Set yourself at 350-400 an you'll be safe forever these k20's are super strong I beat the crap out of mine daily for 10 months and the internal of the engine show no signs of fatigue. 350 will allow you to not slow in corners and power will be right there when you want it .

My07SI
02-17-2013, 09:41 AM
I looked into quite a few places trying to take in everything and still would like to get my K20 boosted but was wondering on what are some peoples' opinions on the guys at Boost Junkyz?
Do Boost Junkyz make a reliable build with out having to upgrade internals?

With what AZ_CIVIC has replied, i'm not sure if i want to boost my car at all... I should be doing the normal thing everyone else does first, new exhaust, wheel/tires/suspension, hondata, HIDs and butt sex with your girlfriend.

Burning out my engine/trans in 15k after having a turbo installed is not what i'm wanting to get into. I understand there are plenty of things that could go wrong or break after the turbo is installed, but I don't drive like every light is a drag race either, I just don't slow down in turns =). From what I read as long as it is done right and not punching it majority of the time, problems will be minimal.

From what I have read, on top of a basic turbo kit, I should also be getting a Stage 1++ clutch, flywheel, a CMC upgrade, gauges for air/boost/oil, boost controller, hondata? I am keeping in mind i'm bone stock right now and still a noob to a lot of this so i'm sure i'm missing things like internal upgrades.

Yes you will want to upgrade your clutch, Cmc is not needed and Hondata for sure and gauges for sure

C.R.A.Y.
02-17-2013, 09:43 AM
Rule of Thumb and best advice I can give:

Talk to people who own and have built 8 and 9 seconds hondas: Talk with Aaron at TSR or Joe from Locash, these people can give you the best advice on proper setups, tunes, parts and altogther help you meet the goals you are looking to accomplish with real world advice.

Like Joe always tells me think long term, you may want 400 HP now but are you planning on something bigger and better a year from now, if so it is cheaper and easier to do things right the first time then have to double down your money later.

You're annoying. Not everyone wants to do what you do, people still enjoy street cars these days.

That being said with a stock motor you can get enough power to have fun or have too much to over power the street. 400-450 is the norm on these motors with pump gas while keeping reliability.

Magpagaling
02-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Sounds good, I'm not on call this week and hopefully work will allow me jump over to Boost Junkyz and see what they can offer me. They are just up the street from me :P

My07SI
02-18-2013, 08:10 PM
Sounds good, I'm not on call this week and hopefully work will allow me jump over to Boost Junkyz and see what they can offer me. They are just up the street from me :P

What car do you drive?

Magpagaling
02-19-2013, 09:13 AM
2011 Si

My07SI
02-19-2013, 02:43 PM
2011 Si

Nice , hit up boost Junkyz for sure you'll be happy!

Magpagaling
02-19-2013, 03:06 PM
Plan to, they are just up the street from me, just need to wait for a slow day at work to jump over there.

Magpagaling
02-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Went over to Boost Junkyz today, hopefully get my quote soon =), Saw your car also My07SI

My07SI
02-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Went over to Boost Junkyz today, hopefully get my quote soon =), Saw your car also My07SI

Nice yup it's there

AZ_CIVIC
02-20-2013, 06:52 PM
You're annoying. Not everyone wants to do what you do, people still enjoy street cars these days.

That being said with a stock motor you can get enough power to have fun or have too much to over power the street. 400-450 is the norm on these motors with pump gas while keeping reliability.

How am I annoying? I am giving the dude real advice, it may not be what people want to hear but it’s the damn truth. I am not telling the guy he needs to get involved or spend the money I have spent. But by saying I am annoying because I recommend someone talk to Aaron or Locash for advice is dumb.

Aaron by the way has built trannies and motors for some of the fastest cars in the country and Locash has tuned 1000 plus horsepower cars. Picking up a phone and calling those guys to ask some questions doesn’t cost anything and will be beneficial to the guy.

AZ_CIVIC
02-20-2013, 07:05 PM
By the way I wasn't trying to scare you from buying a turbo set up, I am just trying to help you factor in things that most people forget.

Turbo Kit (not sure how much)
Turbo Install (not sure if you plan to do yourself) I would say about $400 bucks
New Clutch $350-400 an extra $250 for install unless you do it
Injectors $depends but if you get ID1000 thats about $450
Fuel Pump $200 plus install unless you do it
Fuel Pressure Regulator a good one maybe $150-$200
K-Pro would most likely be a must Not sure probably $750
Maybe some new axles or wait until they break $800 for stage 2.9 which are good for 500whp
an LSD is always nice $700 and install
New Exhaust, don't really want to try and push 400-450 out a stock exhaust $500
Tune $450 depends who you get.

So not including the cost of buying a turbo kit, the above mentioned is another $5,000.

That means you still have a stock block and head and the list above pretty much a must if you were looking for a streetable 400-450 daily driver, I mean the LSD isn't a must and neither is the axles but whatever.

TaffyFG2
02-20-2013, 08:01 PM
$86 fuel pump
Crush FPR
$200 etune
$500 Flashpro (not Kpro and yes FP is a must. Facepalm)
No axles or lsd

It's not that $$$ to do it. 450 on a stock block is nothing. People are running 550 no problems. Maybe on other engines yea but ours are fine. But feel free to waste money on unnecessary parts if you want.

*s*t*a*r*s*

Barack Obama
02-20-2013, 08:03 PM
Job creation is America's turbo.