PDA

View Full Version : h22 pistons

1 Dude
11-27-2012, 01:57 PM
Has anyone used the Nippon Pistons on a stock sleeved h22?
I googled it and ppl say yes other ppl say no... does anyone have personal experiance using nippon pistons on a FRM sleeved h22 (stock).. looking to upgrade to type s pistons

SovietSuperSoldier
11-27-2012, 02:07 PM
They will work just fine in a stock sleeved H22. That's what they were made for. FRM sleeves. Just make sure to get the hone done properly.
Google isn't god.:smackself:

1 Dude
11-27-2012, 02:38 PM
They will work just fine in a stock sleeved H22. That's what they were made for. FRM sleeves. Just make sure to get the hone done properly.
Google isn't god.:smackself:

That's all I was looking for.. thank you sir. And ill be sure to get it properly honed.
I know but still wanted to double check last thing I want is to screw up my block

Jdm_andre
11-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Question: if you drop type s pistons n type s cams on a h22a4 that has titanium valve springs n retainers would i need to do anything to the block ?

HeikDiesel
11-30-2012, 01:00 PM
Question: if you drop type s pistons n type s cams on a h22a4 that has titanium valve springs n retainers would i need to do anything to the block ?

Why would cams have anything to do with the block?

Also, Mahle makes a piston that works in the FRM sleeves too. Just a fyi

Jdm_andre
11-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Yeah kinda stupid mentioning cams lol well reason I'm asking is because most h22 builds I seen they have their block sleeved for turbo since h22 block can't handle that much psi I don't wana go turbo just better pistons my question is what compression pistons can I go with without messing up block or type s pistons is the best I can do right now?

SovietSuperSoldier
11-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Compression isn't what damages a block. One misconception people have about an FRM block is that it "can't handle power adders". Which is a myth btw. The FRM sleeves are incredibly strong. Which is a curse and a blessing. Most rings get chewed up by the sleeves which is why people think they don't handle power adders well. But they allow for using bigger bores and thinner walls. So you can use a larger bore piston in a smaller block. FRM sleeving has evolved since they were introduced 22 years ago.
If you intend to keep your engine NA and don't want to sleeve then when you decide to install new pistons, make sure the hone is done correctly. And try getting Total Seal piston rings. They work great on FRM sleeves. Compression isn't what damages the block. Improper oil maintenance and improper ring seating is the primary cause of premature FRM block failure. From my experience anyways. It doesn't hurt to cryo treat your piston and ring assemblies when you have it apart btw.
If you have more questions or "myths" about H22 FRM blocks just ask Scott. He's a resident H22 guru.