PDA

View Full Version : What Next?

DJ Hookid
03-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Hey guys,
I bought my 01 Type Sh about 3 months ago and all I've done to it is AEM V2 intake. I had an 06 WRX before so this is a downgrade to me. I had a 92 Prelude SI before the WRX with I/H/E and some other mods, mainly bolt-ons. What should I do next, seeing how the H22 is not very responsive to mods. Im thinking HyTech Header? Maybe the Greddy SP2 or the APEX'I N1 catback? Any Suggestions?

VoodooXIII
03-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Go turbo! Haha, no- in all seriousness, I'd just do some cosmetic upgrades. You know...JDM fogs, OEM lip kit, some nice wheels, etc.

But if you're deadset on performance upgrades, headers are probably the best way to go if your doing a price/gain ratio. But i would have them custom made, rather than buying aftermarket. From what i hear, the gains are actually not much better, otherwise.

Buy an ebay intake too, meanwhile. It won't give you much of a hp gain at all, but it'll still look and sound like its doing something, while not costing you anything over $50.

BlackStarPenguin
03-08-2007, 09:35 PM
i suggest engine upgrade like the simple intake, header, exhaust, then turbo or super charger or n/a

DJ Hookid
03-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Go turbo! Haha, no- in all seriousness, I'd just do some cosmetic upgrades. You know...JDM fogs, OEM lip kit, some nice wheels, etc.

But if you're deadset on performance upgrades, headers are probably the best way to go if your doing a price/gain ratio. But i would have them custom made, rather than buying aftermarket. From what i hear, the gains are actually not much better, otherwise.

Buy an ebay intake too, meanwhile. It won't give you much of a hp gain at all, but it'll still look and sound like its doing something, while not costing you anything over $50.

Well I already got the V2, very expensive but i think it was worth it. Get the most power out of it, thats what im looking for. I heard a custom header would be the best but i also heard that the Hy-Tech header is the best for our cars. 18-20 whp gauranteed!

* did I spell Guaranteed right? looks funny.

BlackStarPenguin
03-08-2007, 09:47 PM
lol i got done with college and i still don't even know lol yeah once i et my h23 i might get custom or once you get the hy-tech headers post some pics on how they look

DJ Hookid
03-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Heres a pic of the Hytech header...
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/felipecruzjr/hprelude.jpg

RhdRicheeee
03-08-2007, 10:06 PM
nice header

F2D/JDM
03-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Great headers where u find that at? Damm what happen 2 the WRX thats a huge down grade!

DJ Hookid
03-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Great headers where u find that at? Damm what happen 2 the WRX thats a huge down grade!

Found the headers in an import magazine. Also found them on Preludepower.com.

120+mph 720 spinout = 1 smashed WRX

bob12345
03-09-2007, 02:18 PM
hytech, rmf, and a few other custom race headers are the only ones that will actually get you power. With most of them you gain high end power at the sacrifice of low end. The N1 is a loud exhaust, greddy is much more tolerable. I think both offer about the same gains. Get a test pipe of high flow then get into the head.

I'd suggest doing suspension/tires before you do any of that though. The prelude responds very well to suspension. It already handles well, and gets even better with just a few things under the car.

Your best friend in all this as you probably know from turbo is tuning. Get a P28, chip it for chrome pro or something similar, with an OBD1-OBD2 adapter harness and you'll get more out of the mods. It's the OBD2 ECU that doesn't respond well to mods more than it's the motor itself.

DJ Hookid
03-09-2007, 11:05 PM
hytech, rmf, and a few other custom race headers are the only ones that will actually get you power. With most of them you gain high end power at the sacrifice of low end. The N1 is a loud exhaust, greddy is much more tolerable. I think both offer about the same gains. Get a test pipe of high flow then get into the head.

I'd suggest doing suspension/tires before you do any of that though. The prelude responds very well to suspension. It already handles well, and gets even better with just a few things under the car.

Your best friend in all this as you probably know from turbo is tuning. Get a P28, chip it for chrome pro or something similar, with an OBD1-OBD2 adapter harness and you'll get more out of the mods. It's the OBD2 ECU that doesn't respond well to mods more than it's the motor itself.

COOL. THANKS FOR THE INFO!

JDM B18CIVIC
03-10-2007, 01:51 PM
I agree...my buddy had a N1 exhaust on his Prelude, and I'm not joking when I say it was the loudest Honda I have ever heard. Go for the Greddy, has a perfect sound to it. My .02

DJ Hookid
03-10-2007, 02:39 PM
I agree...my buddy had a N1 exhaust on his Prelude, and I'm not joking when I say it was the loudest Honda I have ever heard. Go for the Greddy, has a perfect sound to it. My .02

Yeah. I have the N1 on my 92 prelude and its hella loud. Im going with the Greddy, I might get the tanabe hyper medallion

DJ Hookid
03-10-2007, 02:53 PM
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/felipecruzjr/header.jpg

Agent Smith
03-10-2007, 08:20 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

n8jigga
03-12-2007, 09:34 AM
yah, I agree with tha statements about the N1 exhaust, used it on a cb7 and custom 2 1/2" piping and i was one of the loudest hondas ive ever heard, the racing medallion is really loud too unless u have the silencer for it

DJ Hookid
03-12-2007, 12:30 PM
yah, I agree with tha statements about the N1 exhaust, used it on a cb7 and custom 2 1/2" piping and i was one of the loudest hondas ive ever heard, the racing medallion is really loud too unless u have the silencer for it

Racing medallion is loud but the hyper medallion is the quiet one. It looks very similar to the greddy sp2

tricken
03-12-2007, 03:37 PM
rmf for the win best header i have ever seen

So Fly
03-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Found the headers in an import magazine. Also found them on Preludepower.com.

120+mph 720 spinout = 1 smashed WRX

You damn liar, u told me you were goin 90!

DJ Hookid
03-14-2007, 03:50 PM
You damn liar, u said you were goin 90!

Thats what i said in fron of my dad cuz he would kick my ass if he knew how fast I was going. You saw the car, you really think I was going 90?

So Fly
03-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Whatever dude, the brotherhood's been broken :(

DJ Hookid
03-14-2007, 06:55 PM
I told you I was going faster, you just don't remember! :hithead:

DJ Hookid
03-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Ordering my Engine Damper tomorrow. Its and Ingalls Damper, bought it new from some guy on PreludePower.com for $100!

DJ Hookid
03-19-2007, 12:52 PM
Thinkin bout getting some wheels for my car. Anyone know where I can get some Rota Subzeros new for a good price?

nuocmam
03-19-2007, 05:45 PM
the hytech header is badass, fo sho!

DJ Hookid
04-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Just ordered my Greddy SP2 catback exhaust from Tokyo.Speed.Pros. Thanks Pete! I also bought a Skunk2 shift knob!

nuocmam
04-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Just ordered my Greddy SP2 catback exhaust from Tokyo.Speed.Pros. Thanks Pete! I also bought a Skunk2 shift knob!

nice

DJ Hookid
04-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Heres the shift knob. Skunk2 FTW!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/felipecruzjr/shiftknob.jpg

SovietSuperSoldier
04-15-2007, 07:14 PM
OK you need to put your money where it matters. Stop buying a bunch of crap! The stock H22 header is fine for now. Dont throw a bunch of money on a header that will net small gains for the money. Get cam gears first of all because that will allow you some sort of tuning. And they make a difference so you can unlock that hidden horsepower. And that Bob guy was right. These cars are handling beasts. Get some strut bars and sway bars. They make the car handle amazingly. Hell the entire suspension could use some beefing up. I highly recommend boost. If done properly you can have it last a while on the stock block. So decide what you want to do. Boost or NA?

DJ Hookid
04-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Im thinking about buying the skunk2 cam gears. What kind of Strut bars should I get?

SovietSuperSoldier
04-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Any cam gears will work. And the strut bar doesnt really matter either. Usually people get them for looks but they're all the same basically.

DJ Hookid
05-02-2007, 07:16 PM
I just bought a set of Rota Subzeros! 17x7.5 with 48 mm offset! I know a lot of you guys dont like Rotas but I think they're sweet! I also ordered a set of BF Goodrich G-Force KDW (NT) 215/45zr17! oh yeah, I just got my torque damper in today too!

DJ Hookid
05-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Heres some Pics

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/felipecruzjr/BFGG-force.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/felipecruzjr/Subzero2.jpg
Mine are silver though, Keepin it clean, silver on silver should look pretty tight!

tricken
05-05-2007, 06:45 PM
cool post picts when u get them on, good choice on tires they grip and stick

owequitit
05-06-2007, 12:07 AM
For strut tower bars, I would go Neuspeed. They are solid and are far superior to those ebay, or adjustable ones. No flexpoints, no flex.

For a header, if you are going to get one, get a good one.

It isn't unheard of to get 15-20WHP out of those headers. Doesn't seem like a lot for the $$, but when compared to a couple HP or even a loss for most of the cheaper headers, it is worth it.

Also, you might want to look into a set of cams. The Skunk2 Pro Series Stage 1's seems to do really well.

IMO, cam gears aren't really going to do much as long as you have the stock cams. Honda did a pretty good job of maximizing them from the factory, although you could try and see what happens.

Of course, with substantial airflow mods you will need a tune, so I would also recommend an OBD1 jumper harness and a chipped an tuned ECU.

You would probably benefit from a less restrictive intake manifold too. A Throttle body might be sufficient, or a new IM may be in order.

I am still doing some research on that, so I can't say for sure which would be best for you. It might help if you put a slightly larger TB on there first and then go from there.

Some guys also remove the intake butterflies altogether, some remove them and modify the stock manifold, and some replace the manifold altogether.

Also, if all else fails, they love the nitrous.

DJ Hookid
05-06-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the info. Definitely will use.

DJ Hookid
05-27-2007, 08:10 PM
I can get a mugen midpipe (60 mm) and an Greddy SP2 or Tanabe Hyper Medallion axleback (same diameter) or I can get a full Greddy SP2 or Tanabe Hyper Medallion catback. Which way should I go?

DJ Hookid
05-27-2007, 08:12 PM
I bought a Nuespeed front Strut bar and Tein S. Tech Springs! I also got my ctr shift boot and a 10th anniversary Skunk2 Shift Knob!

BBSick
05-28-2007, 01:26 AM
Well as for the Hytech Header claim of power gains, that is with full bolt ons and some cam and head work, they are just saying their header will gain up to 20 to the wheels over a dc sport unit or something similiar but for that much money for a bolt on it better make crazy power. Other nice headers include sixsigma, rmf, and smsp but those are serious all motor set up headers. Are you trying to get like a nice gain from bolt ons then I would suggest, aem v2 which you already have, apexi n1, some kind of 2.5 inch inlet and outlet test pipe, dc sport header, skunk2 68mm throttle body and pro series intake manifold, some ngk blue wires, and of course a p13 obd1 ecu because no matter what you add to that h22 your obd2 ecu will over ride the mod and you will actually gain nothing, only down side to the ecu swap is since you have a type sh you will lose your atts and the light will come on. I had this same setup with the throttle body and intake manifold and made 188 to the wheels which is damn good for stock compression all by using an apexi vafc. Also I know for a fact Rev Hard Stage 2 turbo kit with stock ecu and motor on 7 psi will net you 222 or so to the wheels and a nice linear torque curve with it as well, well into the 200 numbers to the wheels for torque. It's all in how you want to attack it man?!?!

crtEG6
05-28-2007, 04:10 AM
just a little .02

dont get the skunk 2 intake mani!!!!

wont see any gains!

either get the euro R intake mani

or MOD yours!

and as far as header.. i was reading up on RMF & SMSP are really good. im thinking about RMF, but they will cost a pretty penny!

but seems like your doing good.:clap: props

BBSick
05-28-2007, 12:26 PM
just a little .02

dont get the skunk 2 intake mani!!!!

wont see any gains!

either get the euro R intake mani

or MOD yours!

and as far as header.. i was reading up on RMF & SMSP are really good. im thinking about RMF, but they will cost a pretty penny!

but seems like your doing good.:clap: props

I am pretty sure the Skunk2 piece makes serious top end power when combined with all other bolt ons and a nice tune, you can't expect to bolt on a different mani and go make more power. I have had this skunk2 mani before and showed 12hp to the wheels over the stock piece but before we tuned it, my first pull I actually lost 3hp. However you are correct the Accord Euro R is the best manifold with the exception of a Full Race Hypertune custom piece but thats like 1200. I am planning on running a euro R mani that has been match ported to my head on a boosted set up to see how the gains are.

crtEG6
05-28-2007, 01:33 PM
I am pretty sure the Skunk2 piece makes serious top end power when combined with all other bolt ons and a nice tune, you can't expect to bolt on a different mani and go make more power. I have had this skunk2 mani before and showed 12hp to the wheels over the stock piece but before we tuned it, my first pull I actually lost 3hp. However you are correct the Accord Euro R is the best manifold with the exception of a Full Race Hypertune custom piece but thats like 1200. I am planning on running a euro R mani that has been match ported to my head on a boosted set up to see how the gains are.

lol im just doing the "R" are you on prelude power? there is a whole topic on it!

i was told by 324324 people not to do it because that is what i was going to order...

than they told me you wont see impressive gains for the price.. you can buy the euro R for 200 bux witch will make more power than the skunk 2, and its cheaper

crtEG6
05-28-2007, 01:36 PM
your right i should have not stated you wont see any gains! you might not be impressed!!

go on preludepower.com trust me you will learn about things you never knew!

i think there is a topic on there about headers, w/ dyno charts :tits:

or it was socalpreludes.com

DJ Hookid
05-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Im thinking of going with the Euro R then. what do i need to do to convert it to obd 1?

BBSick
05-28-2007, 11:11 PM
Actually I have been on preludepower.com and it is informative but also stupid at the same time because you can get that info from any honda forum and you won't have to pay to use it either like preludepower. The Euro R isn't as easy to install as the you would think either, it's not exactly bolt on, maybe you should tell him that so he doesn't buy one thinking it swap out swap in. You can get a Euro R mani for 200? Damn that's cheap considering I see them all the time for no less than 235. Also, the Euro R makes more and most of it's peak hp in the middle of the power band then flatens out where as the Skunk2 you might lose some power down low but it screams up top. If I can find my dyno of the skunk2 mani on my car vs stock, I will upload it, I personally gained 13hp to the wheels around 6000rpm.

crtEG6
05-29-2007, 05:30 AM
well i would tell him all the info if he was considering buying it!!!! but anyways i guess its just peoples personal preference.. im my dogging on the skunk 2 AT ALL trust me i love them.. i'm just going off what i have learned!

as of paying to see something on preludepower dont really know what you mean by that!!

all i gotta say is do your research find what you want most, and dont get something because someone says its better! you know what you want, get it!:thumbup:

if your trying to bashhh.. thats fine he wanted to know some options i gave him some sorry!! and what do i get out of him doing the Euro R... or skunk2 intake mani?!?!? nothing just letting him know that he should do some research before he just goes and buys something!

and yes 200 yea maybe there not $200.00 exactly but i have seen three for 190-205-225

BBSick
05-29-2007, 05:20 PM
I am not trying to bash the euro r, I am about to run one that has been port matched to the head. I have heard all the pros and cons of both manifolds, for some reason some people get nothing out of a skunk2 mani and some do like me. I understand you were giving him your opinion and so was I. I like them both, it's just one is easier to install then the other. So you are saying you didn't have to pay the membership fee for preludepower.com? Last time I checked they were making people pay to "maintain" the forum. As for DJ Hookids question about the obd1 conversion, all you need is a obd1 dohc vtec ecu like p13, p72, etc and a obd2 to obd1 conversion harness. It will plug into your factory harness and then to the new obd1 ecu, pretty straight forward.

crtEG6
05-30-2007, 04:28 PM
no unless they just started doing that?!?

socal prelude is really good to!

almost all 5th gens!

you should check it out if you guys are not already on there!

www.socalprelude.com

DJ Hookid
05-31-2007, 01:11 PM
LOL. Im a member of both of those sites already! They're both free. Thanks for all the info. I wasn't tryng to stir anything up, but thats what happens when you ask for opinions.

crtEG6
05-31-2007, 05:34 PM
lol yea no biggy!

post pics of whatever you decide! :clap:

Evil Empire
06-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Post pics when you get the rims and drop ASAP.

DJ Hookid
06-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Got my Nuespeed Strut bar put on!

Evil Empire
06-10-2007, 04:12 AM
Post pics when you get the rims and drop ASAP.

aHEM!

bob12345
06-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Hey, people keep talking about switching to OBD1 and stuff and with good reason. But I just read your first post in here saying your car was an SH. If you go to any OBD1 ecu you will lose ATTS. To my knowledge there is no OBD1 ecu or chipped variant that can interface with the ATTS computer.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up on that.

BlackStarPenguin
06-12-2007, 07:07 AM
yeah where are those pics man lol

also i know this isn't a engine mod but it is a good one get a good alarm on it too because my car was stolen but the cops did find the next day but it sucks when you get it back and you open the hood and some of those nice parts are gone and so are the wheels

DJ Hookid
06-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Sorry bout the pics. I havent gotten the springs put on yet and I wanna wait til I get that done. I did just get my Greddy EVO2 catback put on thanks to PreludeSH2ner! My atts light and my check engine light both just came on after i put the exhaust on. Most likely because of the test pipe. I know Im gonna lose atts going obd1 but i already lost it so fuck it.

DJ Hookid
06-13-2007, 01:09 AM
So heres a recap in what I've done. On the car, I have the Greddy EVO2 catback with test pipe, AEM V2 intake, Nuespeed front upper strut bar, type r shift boot and Skunk2 racing shift knob, Rota Subzero 17x7.5 wrapped in BF Goodrich G-Force tires. Im waiting on the Hytech header from Pete at TSP and Im waiting to get my Tein S. Tech springs to be put on.

azteamextreme
06-18-2007, 11:20 AM
nice

BBSick
06-19-2007, 01:31 AM
Damn hytech header BALLER! Those are worth every penny and worth the wait too. That's a nice little build up you got there can't wait to see some updated photos and some dyno numbers!

IntegraDA
06-24-2007, 11:42 PM
Do I hear MUGEN or DC Sport full torsion? Nothin gets me goin more when I see Mugen parts under the hood of a Honda. :clap:

DJ Hookid
06-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Im ordering a tanabe front and rear sway bar. I just got my tanabe lower tie bar a few days ago.

DJ Hookid
08-10-2007, 12:18 AM
I finally got my Tein S. Tech springs put on. It lowered the car about 1.5 inches. Im thinking about switching em out already and getting the full suspension kit. I always do this. I buy something and then end u switching it out. So I might be selling my Tein Springs in the near future.

I bought the Tanabe lower tie bar and I already sold it. Im going with the Progress Anit-sway kit instead.

Ill post pics pretty soon.

DJ Hookid
01-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Updated Pics:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/felipecruzjr/car3.jpg http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/felipecruzjr/car2.jpg http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r124/felipecruzjr/Car1.jpg

Got some more done to her. Sorry I missed the meet. had some family issues. Will definitely be there next time.

Evil Empire
01-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Looks great. I miss mine :cry:.

DJ Hookid
01-07-2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks! Sad to hear you had to sell yours... :(

Im looking to get my OEM lip kit pretty soon.

Evil Empire
01-08-2008, 03:09 AM
Thanks! Sad to hear you had to sell yours... :(

Im looking to get my OEM lip kit pretty soon.

That should set it off perfectly.

Lol to be honest, if a good opportunity came to buy another, I would. It would be my third 5th gen haha. I just kinda wanna try something else but I keep thinking back to it. I wish I could get something else and another 5th gen lol. Honestly, there are like 2 other cars that fit into what I want in terms of reliability, looks, performance, feel, rarity, and just overall coolness...and of course price lol. But neither of those 2 fit into all those as well as the 5th gen. Hopefully when I buy one of those 2, I won't be kicking myself for making that decision but seeing as how I make horrible decisions all the time, it's pretty likely I'll feel like an idiot lol. I never would've gotten rid of the first one I had, an Auto, if it wasn't for the douchebag hitting me and totaling it out. I should've just fixed it and taken the rebuilt title. :cry::pissed::hithead::poke::crazy::ballin::(

DJ Hookid
01-08-2008, 03:51 PM
That should set it off perfectly.

Lol to be honest, if a good opportunity came to buy another, I would. It would be my third 5th gen haha. I just kinda wanna try something else but I keep thinking back to it. I wish I could get something else and another 5th gen lol. Honestly, there are like 2 other cars that fit into what I want in terms of reliability, looks, performance, feel, rarity, and just overall coolness...and of course price lol. But neither of those 2 fit into all those as well as the 5th gen. Hopefully when I buy one of those 2, I won't be kicking myself for making that decision but seeing as how I make horrible decisions all the time, it's pretty likely I'll feel like an idiot lol. I never would've gotten rid of the first one I had, an Auto, if it wasn't for the douchebag hitting me and totaling it out. I should've just fixed it and taken the rebuilt title. :cry::pissed::hithead::poke::crazy::ballin::(

I know what you mean... When I wrekced my Scooby I was pissed! I wanted to cry. After that i knew I had to go back to my roots and get another Prelude. This is my second one. My first one was a 4th Gen Si though. Loved it.

DJ Hookid
11-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Bump for my old build thread. haha. Def. Needs to be updated.

Reading through it i wanna thank everyone for their input. I def appreciate it. Helped me avoid a lot of wrong turns with my car. Lol.

Chillinz77
11-23-2008, 09:42 PM
supercharger??????????? hm hm hm hm?

DJ Hookid
11-23-2008, 09:48 PM
supercharger??????????? hm hm hm hm?

what what??? idk what your talkin about.... :devil1:

Chillinz77
11-23-2008, 11:34 PM
what what??? idk what your talkin about.... :devil1:

AWWWW YAAHH yah do...........................HAHA:blunt::blunt:

illudr
11-24-2008, 04:21 AM
i was bout to say man dayum.lol. i remember you had that hytech at the meet and shiz. need to invest in a lightened flywheel next.

n8jigga
11-24-2008, 11:05 AM
wow.....this thread back from the dead, but ya alot of good info in here

DJ Hookid
11-24-2008, 12:58 PM
i was bout to say man dayum.lol. i remember you had that hytech at the meet and shiz. need to invest in a lightened flywheel next.

Got me an Exedy Stage 1 clutch and Fidanze 8lb flywheel. :blunt:

wow.....this thread back from the dead, but ya alot of good info in here

Yeah just thought I'd bring it back to thank everyone. lol