PDA

View Full Version : Suspension questions....

TypeR EK
03-27-2007, 02:49 PM
I don't claim to know a lot about cars, but especially suspension.....

I have a '96 Civic w/ B series swap and currently have stock suspension

What would be good shocks/springs to go with that are still fairly affordable?

I was quoted $265 for Skunk2 shocks (set of 4)
$150 for Tein Springs (set of 4)

is that decent?

Thanks! :) :) :)

Chinky
03-27-2007, 02:52 PM

is that decent?

how low do u wanna drop ur car?

sounds like a good setup ^^^^

i just went k sports and love em! a bit more expensive but good shit

cEx00
03-27-2007, 03:38 PM
sounds good.....

i have friend who has tein springs and a ?? shocks.....sorry i 'll get back at you with the name of the shocks...

but what you have quoted is a good set-up.....

EK|B
03-27-2007, 03:46 PM
New shocks are good, but if you can get some used spring you'd be :thumbup:

TypeR EK
03-27-2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks!!!!

I currently have 17" rims and am looking to go back to a stock wheel so I just want it dropped enough not to have an ugly wheel gap...so what...2 inches? Have no clue!

EK|B
03-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks!!!!

I currently have 17" rims and am looking to go back to a stock wheel so I just want it dropped enough not to have an ugly wheel gap...so what...2 inches? Have no clue!
2 inches with stock wheels is a pretty good drop.

Neebs
03-27-2007, 11:07 PM
2 inches with stock wheels is a pretty good drop.
Need to go lower than 2 inches for stock wheels if you want a finger gap.

Neebs
03-27-2007, 11:08 PM
You're best bet on suspension is not springs if you plan on going 2 inches or more. Springs are 1 3/4 inches in drops ( I think ).

Either go with K-sport ( heard some blow out, but have warranty on them) or Koni Yellows with Ground controls. These two are really good from what I heard.

Skunk 2 shocks + Tein is a decent price which is cheaper than Koni's + GC or K-sports, but I don't know the ride quality on that setup.

Chinky
03-28-2007, 07:32 AM
Need to go lower than 2 inches for stock wheels if you want a finger gap.

werd

EK|B
03-28-2007, 08:18 AM
Here's info on the Tein springs. http://www.tein.com/ti/h98.html(no phonetrace)

Neebs
03-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Drop is 1.93F/1.65R. Thats two finger gap and not low enough.

Chinky
03-28-2007, 11:52 AM

x2

the k sports gave me like a 4-5 inch drop.

enigma94
03-28-2007, 01:56 PM
I'd get a set of omni's, you will get a good ride that you wont have to worry about rubbing or bottoming out like you do with springs (if your struts are blown or stock)

EK|B
03-28-2007, 10:05 PM

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/showpost.php?p=1852712&postcount=11 (no promotion, no phonetrace)
Well said homie.

ek forever guy
03-29-2007, 09:55 AM
I loved my old setup, Tokico illuminas on H&R race, it was almost slammed.

No finger gap. Great ride.

H&R sport is a good combo, and you could run Koni reds or Agx's.

Coilovers are all going to run you over $500. Not in your price range from the sound of it. I got my illuminas and H&R race springs for $350 used in good cond.

H&R sport is a little lower than tein s. tech and is probably the drop you are looking for. You can match those well with koni reds, tokico blues, and kyb agx's without worrying about extensive shock travel.

That's what I would do if I were you. You could get away with H&R sport and non-adjustable sport shocks for $250-300 with used springs and new or used shocks.

cEx00
03-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks!!!!

i was thinking 17's but i want my ride to look sick so i'm going with 16's with a 2 inch drop but thats a maybe...

Neebs
03-29-2007, 04:27 PM
i was thinking 17's but i want my ride to look sick so i'm going with 16's with a 2 inch drop but thats a maybe...

Good choice. Filling gaps with bigger rims is a no, no IMO.

ILIKETODRIVE
03-31-2007, 07:41 PM
Progress springs and Koni's if you want springs.

GC's and Koni's for...well, you know...

fourstarcivic
04-01-2007, 01:19 PM
H&R race springs and koni yellows will have your car on the ground!

Stealthy
04-01-2007, 01:37 PM
OMNI ftmfw

hawaii_DA6
04-01-2007, 06:17 PM
OMNI ftmfw

:goodpost: :thumbup:

Omni sus. FTW

Stealthy
04-01-2007, 06:24 PM
I can't wait for the next car.. YAY!!

messatsu
04-05-2007, 04:13 PM
I think tein are just a bunch of hype, im not saying they are not good springs but im sure you can get some thing like eibach, skunk2, and progress that are much better and provide the drop you are looking for. And as for shocks stay away from used ones and buy new.

Chinky
04-05-2007, 04:32 PM
I think tein are just a bunch of hype, im not saying they are not good springs but im sure you can get some thing like eibach, skunk2, and progress that are much better and provide the drop you are looking for. And as for shocks stay away from used ones and buy new.

hahahahaha

he said skunk 2 > tein

dood... are u smokin crack?

have u ever compared the two personally?

i was recently shopping for suspension and got the chance to ride in a car k sports, tein flex, and omni's...

lol @ you dood

there is a reason for the price and that they still stay business. hype don't pay the bills homie.

now i'm not saying that the other suspensions are not good but to say that skunk 2 and omni is better than tein is not a smart statement. i didn't get to ride skunk but i heard they ride a lil rougher than the omni's.

nuff said GL with ur choice dood. save and get 1 piece suspensions. be happier and you only have to do it once.

horchata690
04-05-2007, 04:37 PM
in my hatch i have stock gsr struts with ground control coilovers and its a pretty nice setup imo and it was nice on the wallet as well

EK|B
04-05-2007, 09:40 PM
hahahahaha

he said skunk 2 > tein

i was recently shopping for suspension and got the chance to ride in a car k sports, tein flex, and omni's...

lol @ you dood

there is a reason for the price and that they still stay business. hype don't pay the bills homie.

now i'm not saying that the other suspensions are not good but to say that skunk 2 and omni is better than tein is not a smart statement. i didn't get to ride skunk but i heard they ride a lil rougher than the omni's.

nuff said GL with ur choice dood. save and get 1 piece suspensions. be happier and you only have to do it once.
http://forums.maxima.org/images/smilies/owned.gif

Neebs
04-06-2007, 07:35 AM
I think it depends on what setup you have. I heard Skunk2 and Koni Yellows ride good.

ek forever guy
04-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Tein s. techs will be better than stock but they will still look like a 4x4 IMO.

H&R sports are good with stock shocks if you're on a budget.

Koni reds or KYB gr2's are a good shock to match with any spring.

I'm against coilovers personally.

As long as you don't slam your car a non-adjustable shock will be fine.

Skunk2 is a little stiffer than stock shocks but it has a shortened shock body to work with lower cars. THe skunk2 is pairable with H&R's, omni's, and or course skunk2.

It's a new shock so there's not much review support. It comes with a decent warranty.

However tokico shocks all come with a litetime warranty.

The illuminas even retain their warranty with a drop like H&R race. It's the maximum you can drop an Illumina on and keep the warranty.

MichaelKnight
04-06-2007, 03:55 PM
I have coil overs too, inherited them when I bought the car and the prev owner unwound them so the springs were just floppin around.

So when I added my camber kits, my tires ended up rubbing. I had to adjust the springs on all 4 wheels to get my rear tires from rubbing. I still am not happy with it, and hope I can get it proffesionally adjusted or get some advice from you folks.

Any method to adjusting coil overs for an even ride. If you adjust one, then the opposite side tends to be affected to. Bunch of tetter tottering, raising and lowering the jack and multiple test drives. Any help is appreciated.

Chinky
04-06-2007, 04:14 PM
I have coil overs too, inherited them when I bought the car and the prev owner unwound them so the springs were just floppin around.

So when I added my camber kits, my tires ended up rubbing. I had to adjust the springs on all 4 wheels to get my rear tires from rubbing. I still am not happy with it, and hope I can get it proffesionally adjusted or get some advice from you folks.

Any method to adjusting coil overs for an even ride. If you adjust one, then the opposite side tends to be affected to. Bunch of tetter tottering, raising and lowering the jack and multiple test drives. Any help is appreciated.

what suspension do u have?

it's easy u just have to take ur time. just put them all the way up or down and turn equal number of revolutions.

MichaelKnight
04-06-2007, 08:11 PM
what suspension do u have?

it's easy u just have to take ur time. just put them all the way up or down and turn equal number of revolutions.

I am not sure what type it is. I didnt notice any markings on the springs or hubs.

I bought the Car for $3,000 off Craigslist and when I changed out the clutch, I noticed the springs were all the way down. The wheels were butterflied and the tire wear was really bad.

Discout Tire on Power & Southern has an overstock of Kumhos 17" for $55 ea. I got all 4 changed out the A-arms and Rear Support Arms, got an alignment, changed the clutch to a Daiken single stage clutch and Throwout bearing.

I think I still have a syncro (sp) out. Cause 2nd gear does not engage all the time, actually rarely unless I hold it back till I shift into second. F-it. I will live with it untill I get a DOHC.

It just got a new SOHC from Japaneese Motors w/ about 1000 miles on it. I installed a front strut bar, a kicker 12 and kenwood deck. Also my Knightrider Light in the grill, cheesy I know, but I love that show!

Chinky
04-07-2007, 09:07 AM
I am not sure what type it is. I didnt notice any markings on the springs or hubs.

I bought the Car for $3,000 off Craigslist and when I changed out the clutch, I noticed the springs were all the way down. The wheels were butterflied and the tire wear was really bad.

Discout Tire on Power & Southern has an overstock of Kumhos 17" for $55 ea. I got all 4 changed out the A-arms and Rear Support Arms, got an alignment, changed the clutch to a Daiken single stage clutch and Throwout bearing.

I think I still have a syncro (sp) out. Cause 2nd gear does not engage all the time, actually rarely unless I hold it back till I shift into second. F-it. I will live with it untill I get a DOHC.

It just got a new SOHC from Japaneese Motors w/ about 1000 miles on it. I installed a front strut bar, a kicker 12 and kenwood deck. Also my Knightrider Light in the grill, cheesy I know, but I love that show!

lol omg knight rider light... hahahahahahahahaha. pix please :0

well is it still on stock struts?

messatsu
04-07-2007, 09:03 PM
hahahahaha

he said skunk 2 > tein

lol @ you dood

nuff said GL with ur choice dood. save and get 1 piece suspensions. be happier and you only have to do it once.Glad i could make laugh :clap: When i mentioned suspension i was talking about a spring and shock combo, not the whole colover setup. I still don't think that tein springs are all that great, would i get different springs other than tein? Yes. Would i but their whole coilover setup? No. I would do some research and get something better.:)

MichaelKnight
04-07-2007, 09:23 PM
lol omg knight rider light... hahahahahahahahaha. pix please :0

well is it still on stock struts?

Its just my style, Not sure how to post video

MichaelKnight
04-08-2007, 10:10 PM
Is there a way to dial in my coil overs, other than jacking my car up and down a thousand times! I thought I got it right, but now I hear a squeaking from my front passenger side springs.

Chinky
04-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Is there a way to dial in my coil overs, other than jacking my car up and down a thousand times! I thought I got it right, but now I hear a squeaking from my front passenger side springs.

i believe a lil squeeking is normal.

MackDs160
09-29-2007, 09:38 PM

is that decent?

hey you live in gilbert right? not sure how much difference there is from a 96 civic to a 00 civic in ride height, but if you want we could meet up and you can check out my ride height in person. i have 2" lowering springs from H&R with stock struts and so far its been a good ride. i installed them back in april myself and they're not bad. hit me back if you havent already lowered your car.

nighthawkej
10-01-2007, 05:16 PM
so what would be a good set up that will slam the car,not too expensive,and
provide decent ride.

Chinky
10-02-2007, 07:46 AM
so what would be a good set up that will slam the car,not too expensive,and
provide decent ride.

http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42702

suicidal-si
10-03-2007, 06:00 PM
omni word