PDA

View Full Version : need advise on cams

azrex91
03-29-2007, 11:52 PM
well im thinking about changing my cams and getting some aem ones but a mechanic told me it would run like shit in low rpm's but good in high rpm's is it a good idea in changing them,they r for a b16

DJ NeX
03-30-2007, 07:54 AM
AEM does not make cam shafts. they just make cam gears. I wouldn't advise getting a cam gear unless you have an after market camshaft.

hawaii_DA6
03-30-2007, 08:49 AM
This machanic you speak of, how old is he?

Machanics, not to be confused with Technicians, do not understand that the world of engineering has by far surpassed the old school V8 theory of, throw in a cam and idle like shit rules.

what exact cam?

do you have valvetrain?

do you have all other supporting components? such as induction side, exhaust side, vlvtrain, fuel, ect?

making a vehicle run well @ idle all the way to redline, can be a hassle if you have no idea what you are doing.

honduh_head
03-30-2007, 04:15 PM
skunk2 stage 1's....they make good power and don't require having aftermarket valvetrain

mjc1055
04-01-2007, 04:00 PM
You should try calling up Delta Cams. They have a bunch of different grinds for whatever purpose you need, you just send them your cams and for 75 bucks each, you get cams as aggressive as you want.

I Hate Import Cars
04-02-2007, 07:19 PM
ya the old school, High Performance=Shitty Idle is not applicable in this situation. That's the entire point of the VTEC system. Give you good top end performance without sacrificing idle/off-idle performance or emissions. I don't mean this to sound rude, but I don't know how else to put it, so here goes; you should research your motor and the way it runs and learn and understand that before making any decisions. If you understood VTEC operation, you wouldn't have even thought twice about what that mechanic said to you. You'd have known better. So figure it out and go from there. I'm really sorry that sounds so dick, but it is what it is. If you have any questions or need anything, feel free to hit me up.

DJ NeX
04-02-2007, 11:13 PM
Not only that, but we're talking about a stock motor here with stock compression. He won't gain anything by going up to big camshafts. I would recommend a valvetrain upgrade if you go with ANYTHING from skunk2.