PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearing keeps going out

my97ek
03-31-2007, 10:06 PM
ok my front driver side wheel bearing has gone out twice now on my EF hatch. I work at a shop and they said it may be too low with too small of tires. I have 15"s and had them tucked. they said it also may be from my suspention being shit since i have no name coil overs. is there ANYTHING else that could cause this? cause right now i am looking at raising the suspention and putting 17"s or 18"s on it. i have the third wheel bearing and im not putting it on untill i know what the deal is.

1st one went out over time, the 2nd one within 3 days.

my97ek
04-03-2007, 05:00 PM
nothing.

ILIKETODRIVE
04-04-2007, 06:33 PM
I would advise you to not listen to whoever fed you that information.

Yes, your tire is possibly too small BUT not too small size-wise. You might not have enough sidewall, so there is no cushion to absorb bumps/holes/etc in the road. Going to 17's or 18's is just going to make that situation worse. WAY worse.

Tire sizes work like this: 195/50-15 is a tire that is 195mm wide, has a 50 aspect ratio (which equates to how big/small your sidewall is) and fits on a 15-inch wheel.

It's not that your car is too low, unless you are as slammed as slammed can be.

I'm guessing the 1st bearing went out and the 2nd one was improperly installed OR the steering knuckle itself is cracked/warped and needs to be replaced as well.

my97ek
04-04-2007, 07:06 PM
damn..... that was extremely helpful. thanks man. good thing i didnt drop 300 on rims and tires! lol

Smokinsax
04-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Ive had some experience with non Honda wheel bearings before. Make sure that the wheel bearing is a sealed bearing. Manufacturers make both the sealed and unsealed versions. That might be another reason that your last one went out so fast.

ILIKETODRIVE
04-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Honda's are sealed.

onefst91hatch
04-05-2007, 05:43 PM
i would deffinatley check the knuckle before pressin another bearing into it. and as for you tire being to small i had little 13in tires on my old hatch and used to 150mph quite often and never had a wheel bearing problem. ad also how would the car being lowered effect the a wheel bearing? lowering a car has nothing to do with the bearing unless your so low that you have no suspension travel and then your tires and everything else would be taking the beating instead of your struts. hope this helps!

my97ek
04-05-2007, 06:57 PM
i was told that its because it is riding one side of the bearings. since my rims were tucked at a angle. so it road only on the top. the last one i replaced i am thinking the seal fell off before installation. thanks for the help. i wanna get this shit FIXED

onefst91hatch
04-05-2007, 07:14 PM
being low would not be the culprit then. that just means you would need a camber kit. not to raise the car. and i still doubt that is the problem!

ILIKETODRIVE
04-05-2007, 07:14 PM
i was told that its because it is riding one side of the bearings. since my rims were tucked at a angle. so it road only on the top.

That's........just....................retarded.

onefst91hatch
04-06-2007, 01:52 AM
That's........just....................retarded.

i agreee!

my97ek
04-08-2007, 01:43 PM
well i dunno it just took a shit after i lowered it down more -adjustable coilovers