PDA

View Full Version : paint

importtuner77
04-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Ok Im getting ready to primer my ride..Its all differnet colors now..and Im strapped for cash...So a friend said to paint it all one color using a satin paint....Is this a good idea???and what kind of sandpaper do I use to smooth it out?

*inFamous*
04-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Do not primer your car until your ready to paint it. If you want a more in depth explanation of why please feel to PM me... i'd rather you just trust me on this but if you feel you need more information, always here to help.

elbowpunk
04-10-2007, 03:07 PM
it doesnt matter if its pimer then u wait for paint... as long as the body work is done right and u throw a coat of sealer before the paint.... if ur primering the entire car... go 80 then 100 then 180 or 80 to 180 ... throw the primer on... wet sand that 220 then throw some sealer (dont sand that, but u have to put basecoat on top of that within an hr or so, otherwise its no good) ... then clear... then all set ! feel free to PM me as well !

*inFamous*
04-10-2007, 03:09 PM
You forgot about the electrostatic charge that you will lose by not painting immediately ... sealent is not my concern :)

YewllowDA
04-10-2007, 06:29 PM
^ the paint wont stick really well and start peeling or chipping in a couple of days, or maybe weeks...especially on plastics (bumpers, etc.). i use sealer as my primer tho..

*inFamous*
04-10-2007, 07:05 PM
^ the paint wont stick really well and start peeling or chipping in a couple of days, or maybe weeks...especially on plastics (bumpers, etc.). i use sealer as my primer tho..

exactly. electrostatic charge is important for a good long lasting finish. not saying you cant do it any other way, just saying, since its FREE, might as well use it!

YewllowDA
04-10-2007, 07:10 PM
also, 10 min after i shoot the primer, i wetsand the primer before i paint base color....

*inFamous*
04-10-2007, 07:11 PM
also, 10 min after i shoot the primer, i wetsand the primer before i paint base color....

i scotchpaded mine to get any burrs off, worked pretty well and was hecka faster, i waited for about 30 minutes though to make sure it was well set.

I think i'll try your method next time though for shits n giggles.

YewllowDA
04-10-2007, 07:15 PM
the kind of primer-surfacer i was using dries really fast. after a couple of minutes, it dries and feels like theres a layer powder. i believe thats the charge u were talking about. then yeah i wetsand it really light w/ 1500 to get it smooth. so the other layer lay flat also. but the base coat, i never wetsand it. just spray the clear, w/o waiting for the base to dry......

*inFamous*
04-10-2007, 07:19 PM
the kind of primer-surfacer i was using dries really fast. after a couple of minutes, it dries and feels like theres a layer powder. i believe thats the charge u were talking about. then yeah i wetsand it really light w/ 1500 to get it smooth. so the other layer lay flat also. but the base coat, i never wetsand it. just spray the clear, w/o waiting for the base to dry...

yeah basecoat sanding = death.

i've been using typical primer so it had about a 1 hour full set time, 15 minute dry to touch, 30 minutes to sandable.

thanks for the suggestions

YewllowDA
04-10-2007, 07:25 PM
no prob..

i believe orange peel depends; on the spray gun that isnt set right, its really hard to get the rythm; the brand of the spray gun; or maybe the painter.

elbowpunk
04-11-2007, 11:37 AM
ornage peel happens like 90% of the time.. it jsut might be harder to c with the diff paint products and color...

*inFamous*
04-11-2007, 11:41 AM
ornage peel happens like 90% of the time.. it jsut might be harder to c with the diff paint products and color...

depends on alot of factor.

but why add more factors in intentionally :)

My 240 was a pretty nice finish, along with my integras spoiler and sideskirts. Different process for both stragely enough

YewllowDA
04-11-2007, 12:11 PM
there are ratios also that needs to mix on each paint.( reducers, surfacer, and other chemicals)
i use Sherwinn-Williams for both base and clear.
it is pricey, 1 qt. is $50 for clear, but it depends for the base . red being the most expensive color
i dont like using Dimension for clear.

*inFamous*
04-11-2007, 12:29 PM
there are ratios also that needs to mix on each paint.( reducers, surfacer, and other chemicals)
i use Sherwinn-Williams for both base and clear.
it is pricey, 1 qt. is $50 for clear, but it depends for the base . red being the most expensive color
i dont like using Dimension for clear.

yeah i know all that crap haha

microphish scales ftw!

YewllowDA
04-11-2007, 12:31 PM
yeah i know all that crap haha

microphish scales ftw!

more expensive?

*inFamous*
04-11-2007, 12:33 PM
they aren't to expensive but you can be so precise with your ratio's its not funny...

importtuner77
04-12-2007, 01:03 PM
Thanks guys.....yeah this ine guy was gonna paint my ride....but he said he was gonna use satin blue paint cans......so Im gonna save up for a good paint job..

*inFamous*
04-12-2007, 02:22 PM
I woudl to, good decision