PDA

View Full Version : whp 197 civic si

bernabeguzman
04-10-2007, 10:08 PM
my freind told me on the new si that they mesuerd the horsepower at the wheels but i told him thats crazy they always measure at flywheel, who's right?

JustinD
04-10-2007, 10:35 PM
your right...your friend is crazy.

however Joe at locash racing in phoenix dyno'd a 2006 si when they first came out. made like 179 at the wheels completely stock....and then make like 192 at the wheels with the airbox cover off (essentially a cold air intake)

ZonaAltima
04-10-2007, 10:43 PM
197 is the claimed 'flywheel' or at the crank power. But WHP is what the true power, or actual power at the wheels is. A lot of car companies, especially recently, have underated their car;s hp or torque numbers. For example, on other boards, the new CObalt SS supercharged has been making around 190, 195, sometimes 200 WHP, when the crank hp is only supposted to be like 215, 220. The new 06-07 WRXs torque is listed to be at 230 lbs. torque, yet they are dynoing at that or near that. Most people think the torque for those new WRXs (with the newer 2.5 liter boxer engine, vs. old 2.0, both turboed) is closer to around 250, 260 lbs of torque crank.

Companies do this to lower the cost to insure the vehicles, especially more sporty or sports cars, so that by not being as expensive to insure *IE EVOS, STIs, Mustang GTs, etc,) the WRX, Cobalt SS, can be sports cars or performance sedans, with out having G35 EVO type insurance quotes, thus pushing away buyers afraid of higher insurance.

The fact that your friend mentioned exactly 197 leads me to believe he heard, was thining of, or merely sharing with you the Crank hp, which is 197hp. While stout and with great high end, the Honda SI motor is good, yet motor tend had running a respectable 15.19, stock, and other sites such as modernracer.com have it running closer to a 15.6. While mag times are mag times, I have a feeling that an editior of motor trend who professionally drives and tests cars for a living, would shift slightly better than the average Joe or 21 year old enthusiast. So while they are a great motor, I doubt they are reaching their claimed hp as WHP. Could their hp be underated form the factory? Maybe, but it would be hard to squeeze more than tha 197 from the factory and still make low emissions, high mpg, a selling point of the Civics, including SI. Do they dyno high hp? Sure, probably. Is the Whp exactly what what the claimed hp is? Doubt it.

Great cars, high rev and great top end, not so much torque. Good gas milage. You you ask someone on here who has one if they have had it dynoed.

jmillz*EF9*
04-11-2007, 02:04 AM
i know that there has been a few that dynoed @ 182 stock

Veux
05-23-2007, 12:11 AM
197 is the claimed 'flywheel' or at the crank power. But WHP is what the true power, or actual power at the wheels is. A lot of car companies, especially recently, have underated their car;s hp or torque numbers. For example, on other boards, the new CObalt SS supercharged has been making around 190, 195, sometimes 200 WHP, when the crank hp is only supposted to be like 215, 220. The new 06-07 WRXs torque is listed to be at 230 lbs. torque, yet they are dynoing at that or near that. Most people think the torque for those new WRXs (with the newer 2.5 liter boxer engine, vs. old 2.0, both turboed) is closer to around 250, 260 lbs of torque crank.

Companies do this to lower the cost to insure the vehicles, especially more sporty or sports cars, so that by not being as expensive to insure *IE EVOS, STIs, Mustang GTs, etc,) the WRX, Cobalt SS, can be sports cars or performance sedans, with out having G35 EVO type insurance quotes, thus pushing away buyers afraid of higher insurance.

The fact that your friend mentioned exactly 197 leads me to believe he heard, was thining of, or merely sharing with you the Crank hp, which is 197hp. While stout and with great high end, the Honda SI motor is good, yet motor tend had running a respectable 15.19, stock, and other sites such as modernracer.com have it running closer to a 15.6. While mag times are mag times, I have a feeling that an editior of motor trend who professionally drives and tests cars for a living, would shift slightly better than the average Joe or 21 year old enthusiast. So while they are a great motor, I doubt they are reaching their claimed hp as WHP. Could their hp be underated form the factory? Maybe, but it would be hard to squeeze more than tha 197 from the factory and still make low emissions, high mpg, a selling point of the Civics, including SI. Do they dyno high hp? Sure, probably. Is the Whp exactly what what the claimed hp is? Doubt it.

Great cars, high rev and great top end, not so much torque. Good gas milage. You you ask someone on here who has one if they have had it dynoed.

great post.:tits:

azianretard
05-23-2007, 06:07 AM
Agreed good post, learn something new everyday.