PDA

View Full Version : windows xp help?

teemfedx
04-12-2007, 01:59 AM
i have a dell lattitude 6000 (i think thats the number, its kinda old...got it on ebay for like 500 about a year ago)...it has XP installed, and that is it, i used it mainly for internet when i was downstairs due to its 15-30 minute battery life (i have to leave it plugged in at all times)

anyway, i like to think im quite compter literate (i used to work for ASU fixing minnor computer and media related problems)...

so my computer got fucked from some spyware/adware and i had to system restore the comp. then when i restarted it from scratch i had noticed that the screen lags circa 1995, and it wont go to sleep the screen just turns off and i have to restart the computer after 5 mins of non-use because the computer cannot hybernate.

so i do some research and i find that when you re-install XP it uses a default VGA driver that makes it impossible for after market drivers to be installed (i think thats what it said)...so i restart using F12 and turn off .agp440 (i read this on some site that was in reference to the problem i was having)...doing this seemed to have turned off the standard driver so i could install a secondary one.

heres where the problem comes in, i cant find the card, i think when i turned off the .agp440 (wtf is that anyway?) it deleted my card from the system settings. so now i cant find my card, and to begin with i never knew what card (brand, version, etc...) was installed in the first place.

does anybody know what to do from here, or does anybody know of any good shops (cheap...i dont care about how long it takes, i dont use the lap top anyway right now) in Phoenix that could look into this problem?

any help is appericated.

ecko344
04-12-2007, 02:44 AM
look up the specs on the dell or go to the dell website. you should be able to find the correct driver. on the sleep/hibernate problem it sounds like it doesn't know it's a laptop. when you re-installed XP their should have been an option for laptops. i'm not 100% sure on this since i never installed XP before but i've seen it on Win98. also sounds like you need a new battery since it doesn't hold a charge for very long.

Mike
04-12-2007, 08:04 AM
I'm assuming you did this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324764

Are there any devices in the "Unknown Devices" list in Device Manager?

eviilboy
04-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Start->Control Panel->Power Options

Select portable/laptop for the power Scheme.

teemfedx
04-12-2007, 10:07 AM
I'm assuming you did this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324764

Are there any devices in the "Unknown Devices" list in Device Manager?

this is exactly what i did, but the problem exists when i go to the device manager and the video card (even though it was unknown after i didnt the re-install) isnt found.

before i did the .ag440 thing i had two (2) unknown devices, my modem and my video card, so windows was running off the default AGV video setup, so i need to find a way for the device manger to even recognize there is a card in the computer so i can find more info?

Neebs
04-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Find the drivers for it. Only thing I can think of.

Do you know what card it is? Also did you mess around with your BIOS yet?