PDA

View Full Version : prelude rotor/nsx caliper brake swap

Lazieb29
04-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Just wondering if anyone has done this?? sounds like a sweet ass brake swap. let me kno guys

*inFamous*
04-12-2007, 11:47 PM
i've done the Legend/NSX ones before.. god bleeding that SOB was a pain in the ass (dual bleeders)

topramn
04-13-2007, 09:46 AM
cant you use the integra calipers on that rotor?

dantana
04-13-2007, 12:07 PM
ive run that setup before, ravi is right, initial bleeding was a nightmare, nice setup though for the price. performance wise i noticed no gain over itr setup, or even the fastbrakes 11" kit. i was looking for a pic but cant seem to find one :hithead:

Lazieb29
04-13-2007, 12:11 PM
ive run that setup before, ravi is right, initial bleeding was a nightmare, nice setup though for the price. performance wise i noticed no gain over itr setup, or even the fastbrakes 11" kit. i was looking for a pic but cant seem to find one :hithead:

Cool man.. so what did you need to complete the brake swap? i know its not just the rotors and calipers..

*inFamous*
04-13-2007, 12:33 PM
I'd get the fastbrakes Legend kit, its not bad and its a huge improvement over OEM. Comes with everything you need :)

tincam84
04-16-2007, 11:19 PM
I dont know if you saw this option but Fastbrakes (http://fastbrakes.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=23_52&products_id=458&osCsid=ae55f253e362504c71897ddcf8b7ce2d) has an 11.8" 4x100 rotor for $150 for the pair. This rotor paired with a rl/cl/legend gs/nsx/accord wagon/itr caliper would be pretty awesome. The same modification to the caliper braket is required (the information I got was the rotor is the same thickness as the 11" SpecR rotor) and the rest is bolt up. This is probably pretty overkill and a shit ton of extra weight but it would be some serious braking power. As for fitment, they wont go under 16" stock wheels. You might be able to get them under some after market 16's or even these 15's (http://fastbrakes.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=130&osCsid=ae55f253e362504c71897ddcf8b7ce2d) that claim to house kits up to 12".

Here is a shot of my setup,
11" SpecR rotors, ITR Calipers. First pic is with oem fat 5's, second is with FN01R 15x7. Plenty of room with the aftermarket wheels.

*inFamous*
04-16-2007, 11:20 PM
That is the kit i was speaking of cameron :)

tincam84
04-16-2007, 11:57 PM
That is the kit i was speaking of cameron :)

If I could house those 11.8" rotors I'd jump all over that, too bad I would need new wheels :idiot: The SpecR kit is awesome though, its about time to change my pads.

*inFamous*
04-19-2007, 01:28 PM
If I could house those 11.8" rotors I'd jump all over that, too bad I would need new wheels :idiot: The SpecR kit is awesome though, its about time to change my pads.

Yeah if i ever put 17's on my car again, big brakes will be righ there with em :)

tincam84
04-21-2007, 12:50 AM
Yeah if i ever put 17's on my car again, big brakes will be righ there with em :)

are you 5 lug? i was just reading you can run rsx wheels with the RL 11.8" kit :clap:

Revhard2003
04-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Just thought I would jump in and put in my two cents :)

Also keep in mind that although yes the calipers and rotors are important in a brake upgrade the most sigificant difference is noticed when you change out your brake lines to stainless steel brkae lines this elimiantes expanision therefore providing better stopping times and increased braking efficiency.

Not changing out the lines is one of the main reasons why peeps do not notice a big difference in braking power.

*inFamous*
04-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Just thought I would jump in and put in my two cents :)

Also keep in mind that although yes the calipers and rotors are important in a brake upgrade the most sigificant difference is noticed when you change out your brake lines to stainless steel brkae lines this elimiantes expanision therefore providing better stopping times and increased braking efficiency.

Not changing out the lines is one of the main reasons why peeps do not notice a big difference in braking power.

mugen brake lines ftw :)

Revhard2003
04-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Bump for mugen brake lines

tincam84
04-25-2007, 10:16 AM
While Im not well versed on the purpose of each braking component, correct me if Im wrong:
SS lines are generally used when you want a firmer pedal feeling, not necessarily resulting in shorter braking distances but more in the responsiveness of the pedal itself. The stock lines are designed to bend and flex with the chassis increasing their life, this also means they bend and flex under loads resulting in a mushy pedal. SS lines eliminate this but at the cost of jeopardizing the integrity of the lines themselves. I dont know how long they are supposed to last compared to stock, but just keep that in mind when upgrading. As far as I know the best way to decrease your stopping distance is to increase the contact patch between either A) the tire and the ground, or B) the rotor and the pad.

tincam84
04-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Here is a bit more info on that RL setup with RSX wheels.

Set up:
OEM 11.8" RL Rotors
OEM RL Calipers (with brakets and bolts)
OEM 16" RSX wheels
Home Depot washers

Here is the thread if anyone wants to try it.

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1010481

legatho
04-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Judging by the amount of the brake dust on those wheels I think there is room for improvement with the "home depot" washers. Brakes are definately not an area of the car to be cheap on. Stick with what has been proven or built by professionals, this may save a few bucks now but cost you lots more down the road, or cable median along the 101 in this case.

tincam84
04-25-2007, 10:34 PM
You can use whatever washers you want as long as they are the correct thickness and quality material. I believe its 1.3mm but don't quote me on that. The dust could be from the pads too, who knows. Just make sure you get the proper hardware and your set, its pretty straight forward. You can use all OEM parts if you like and people have been tracking this set-up for a few years now. I still think its a solid upgrade for anyone 5-lug or with 16" wheels looking for a cheaper alternative.