PDA

View Full Version : Laptop question for the computer gurus....

Stealthy
04-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Ok, I get my choice of laptop for school, but I'm really not too savvy on the best brand. I have an IBM thinkpad, and I love it, however I only get to choose between 2 for school. I can either get...

Dell Latitude 600 series

OR

Apple "MAC" I-book 1.8

Which should I take? I need to figure this out quickly, so please help me out.

**If you have nothing to contribute, please don't post, this is serious, and VERY expensive**

THX guys..

I Hate Import Cars
04-13-2007, 12:12 PM
apple baby!!! I know they're like the "outkast" brand but these days they're pretty much 100% PC compatible and they're a lot more reliable than Dell's are. Plus I just like the way they're laid out in their operating systems. I'm not a computer GURU, but I've used both and liked the MacBook a lot better. Just my .02...

rushbuster70
04-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Honestly man its kind of in the middle.Apples are great but take a little time getting use to.If your already familiar with Windows i'd stay stick with that especially since if this is for school you dont have to worry about learning how to use the computer while trying to do homework and shit like that.The specs shouldn't matter much since this is for school anyways.I would just go with whatever your familiar with and not which is the best computer.With dell you get good support from them.There site has plenty of help on it plus a lot of people are familiar with them and if you ever need help you can find it on the web easy or some of us gurus on here can help

Stealthy
04-13-2007, 12:32 PM
apple baby!!! I know they're like the "outkast" brand but these days they're pretty much 100% PC compatible and they're a lot more reliable than Dell's are. Plus I just like the way they're laid out in their operating systems. I'm not a computer GURU, but I've used both and liked the MacBook a lot better. Just my .02...

Thanks. I appriciate the input.

I just don't want people on this thread posting "Get a presario, or GL d0000d" or some dumb shit.. lol

Neebs
04-13-2007, 12:35 PM
What about a Dell Inspiron?

Apple will need getting use to.

Stealthy
04-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Honestly man its kind of in the middle.Apples are great but take a little time getting use to.If your already familiar with Windows i'd stay stick with that especially since if this is for school you dont have to worry about learning how to use the computer while trying to do homework and shit like that.The specs shouldn't matter much since this is for school anyways.I would just go with whatever your familiar with and not which is the best computer.With dell you get good support from them.There site has plenty of help on it plus a lot of people are familiar with them and if you ever need help you can find it on the web easy or some of us gurus on here can help

Well, this is the thing.. I'm getting charged a lot to my tuition for this laptop, and so it will be my platform for school, home, and business. I want the best one, and I'll get tech support from either one through the school (which is nice). I've never been a fan of the Dell line, and never really had very good luck with them, but I've heard the same thing time and time agin about the Mac being "user friendly, but it takes time to get used to". I have a thinkpad right now, running Windows XP, and I love it.. Anyways, thanks for the help manggg...

Rufus
04-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Dell FTW

Stealthy
04-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Ok, I get my choice of laptop for school, but I'm really not too savvy on the best brand. I have an IBM thinkpad, and I love it, however I only get to choose between 2 for school. I can either get...
Dell Latitude 600 series

OR

Apple "MAC" I-book 1.8

Which should I take? I need to figure this out quickly, so please help me out.

**If you have nothing to contribute, please don't post, this is serious, and VERY expensive**

THX guys..

What about a Dell Inspiron?

Apple will need getting use to.
Please re-read... These are the ONLY 2 options, besides opting to have it taken from my tuition, and then I don't get a laptop.

Neebs
04-13-2007, 12:38 PM
ehh..those are decent laptops.

I'd go for the Dell.

*inFamous*
04-13-2007, 01:01 PM
Yeah i'd go for the dell personally if its for school use.

To bad they dont allow you to buy gateways under that program. Love mine more than my alienware laptop

imm0rtal
04-13-2007, 01:06 PM
apple baby!!! I know they're like the "outkast" brand but these days they're pretty much 100% PC compatible and they're a lot more reliable than Dell's are. Plus I just like the way they're laid out in their operating systems. I'm not a computer GURU, but I've used both and liked the MacBook a lot better. Just my .02...You've never owned a Dell notebook, have you? Good luck trying to upgrade an Apple, notebook or desktop. It's a lot more hassle than it's worth when most Dells are socketed for video card upgrades and have RAM that is easily accessible.

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300. It's a beast. I have dropped it a couple times, and it shows really no damage. It's an incredibly durable notebook and very well made.

That having been said, what are you going to be doing on the notebook? The reason I got mine is because I love to game and was in a few graphic design classes at the time so I chose a notebook with a huge screen, a metric fuckton of RAM, and a beefy graphics card. Are you gonna be doing a lot of design work? Apples are known for being the shit when it comes to design, but if you're gonna be just surfing the net for research and writing papers I would go with the Dell. The software is more compatible with what your school probably uses so it's a bit less hassle there.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me d00d. I work in IT all day every day so I have gotten pretty good at this sort of thing :P

dr@ke
04-13-2007, 01:09 PM

i totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!never mind

go with de dell stealth!!!!!!!!!!!

I Hate Import Cars
04-13-2007, 01:24 PM
You've never owned a Dell notebook, have you? Good luck trying to upgrade an Apple, notebook or desktop. It's a lot more hassle than it's worth when most Dells are socketed for video card upgrades and have RAM that is easily accessible.

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300. It's a beast. I have dropped it a couple times, and it shows really no damage. It's an incredibly durable notebook and very well made.

That having been said, what are you going to be doing on the notebook? The reason I got mine is because I love to game and was in a few graphic design classes at the time so I chose a notebook with a huge screen, a metric fuckton of RAM, and a beefy graphics card. Are you gonna be doing a lot of design work? Apples are known for being the shit when it comes to design, but if you're gonna be just surfing the net for research and writing papers I would go with the Dell. The software is more compatible with what your school probably uses so it's a bit less hassle there.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me d00d. I work in IT all day every day so I have gotten pretty good at this sort of thing :P

SWEET. I even get shit talked when I'm not trying to be confrontational. I love it. Read the fucking post, numb nuts. Especially the part that says I'VE HAD BOTH. Christ Almighty I hate some people...

I Hate Import Cars
04-13-2007, 01:26 PM

Fuck it. let the shit talking begin. This is some good input for you, Stealth. So if you're planning on using your laptop next time you go to the fucking batting cages and you forget to bring a bat, this one should work out great for you!! :) Can of worms;opened. :)

I Hate Import Cars
04-13-2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks. I appriciate the input.

I just don't want people on this thread posting "Get a presario, or GL d0000d" or some dumb shit.. lol

sorry man. I'm an ass sometimes...

imm0rtal
04-13-2007, 01:40 PM
SWEET. I even get shit talked when I'm not trying to be confrontational. I love it. Read the fucking post, numb nuts. Especially the part that says I'VE HAD BOTH. Christ Almighty I hate some people...I should have worded it more clearly, but I wasn't trying to be confrontational. I've used both, and it all depends on what he wants to use it for. I have no real bias for or against either company since I get paid to work on both and both have their fair share of problems when put in the hands of the general public. Either machine would serve him well, but it all depends on what he is gonna use it for. Design work is best for an Apple, as they are known to be the best among those professions. Likewise, the Dell would be best for presenatations, papers and spreadsheets to avoid any compatibility issues with software. Sure, Apple stuff can be converted to work on Office, but if it was my work I wouldn't want to risk the conversion not working properly.

As for Apple being an outcast brand, not really. Everybody and their brother has been nutting over Apple since the iPod and x86-based machines came out.

The reason I mentioned the durability of my notebook is because I know Stealth is a man on the go. Sometimes you drop your shit getting in and out of the car or it gets banged around in the trunk or something. I said it mainly to illustrate that they are made well and are a good machine for the price. Apples are also made well, don't get me wrong there.

imm0rtal
04-13-2007, 01:41 PM
SWEET. I even get shit talked when I'm not trying to be confrontational. I love it. Read the fucking post, numb nuts. Especially the part that says I'VE HAD BOTH. Christ Almighty I hate some people...by the way, you said you have used both, not owned both. using a machine and owning one are two totally different things so I apologize for your wording on that one. If you had said owned, I would have posted something totally different.

rushbuster70
04-13-2007, 02:00 PM
I have an Inspirion B130 and it works great...Had it over a year now and never any problems nor have I had to call Dell but I'm pretty good with computers...I work in a tech support job so I talk to alot of People about computers and most agree that Dells are good quality computers.Like someone else said.You can upgrade them anytime and its simple.Took me 5 minutes if that to change my ram out on my laptop.

Immortal i need to get an IT job like you lol.Im trying to get into like a help desk job but theres none in the west valley in phx

Stealthy
04-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Ok, i don't get my choice of ANY Dell, or ANY Mac.. I have to choose from one of those 2 models...

DELL
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_d620?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

MAC
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=BC8C6084&nclm=MacBook

Rufus
04-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Play nice children

I Hate Import Cars
04-13-2007, 02:58 PM
I should have worded it more clearly, but I wasn't trying to be confrontational. I've used both, and it all depends on what he wants to use it for. I have no real bias for or against either company since I get paid to work on both and both have their fair share of problems when put in the hands of the general public. Either machine would serve him well, but it all depends on what he is gonna use it for. Design work is best for an Apple, as they are known to be the best among those professions. Likewise, the Dell would be best for presenatations, papers and spreadsheets to avoid any compatibility issues with software. Sure, Apple stuff can be converted to work on Office, but if it was my work I wouldn't want to risk the conversion not working properly.

As for Apple being an outcast brand, not really. Everybody and their brother has been nutting over Apple since the iPod and x86-based machines came out.

The reason I mentioned the durability of my notebook is because I know Stealth is a man on the go. Sometimes you drop your shit getting in and out of the car or it gets banged around in the trunk or something. I said it mainly to illustrate that they are made well and are a good machine for the price. Apples are also made well, don't get me wrong there.

Alright man. it's over. I was just being an ass. sorry. it happens from time to time. I know what you're saying, just trying to give the man his options. and I was just being a smart ass about the batting cages. I know how it is. I have a Vaio right now and that thing has been dropped God only knows how many times. And every time, I get scared shitless to open it and see the damage, but so far it has held up great. Anyway, that's all. It's settled.

imm0rtal
04-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Ok, i don't get my choice of ANY Dell, or ANY Mac.. I have to choose from one of those 2 models...

DELL
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/latit_d620?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

MAC
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=BC8C6084&nclm=MacBookDo you have any specific specifications of the two models offered? Those links were pretty vague, and if we had more specific specs we could determine which was the better notebook for the money in this case.

AZ93Civic
04-13-2007, 03:21 PM
the DELL

Stealthy
04-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Hmmm.... I'm so lost..

Rufus
04-13-2007, 03:31 PM
J, just get the Dell. Game over.

Motorhead
04-13-2007, 04:38 PM
A lot of the professional programs aren't made for Mac. You'll be SOL if you had to use one for one of your classes. That's something to consider, especially if you're going to be using it for school.

A lot kids at my school show up with their fancy looking iBook and they can't run the program that the class uses, because they don't make them for Mac. Solidworks and MATLAB are two examples.

Stealthy
04-13-2007, 04:43 PM
To take care of the program issues, my school is getting all the programs needed. The laptop will come complete with everything the school requires me to use, and everything to run a business. So yeah... Thanks for everyones input..

Splashystrwbery
04-13-2007, 06:57 PM
dell.

stillfading99
04-14-2007, 09:49 AM
dude ur getting a dell.

http://www.acc.umu.se/~zqad/cats/1173277998-1172319397277.b.jpg

sssmokin05si
04-14-2007, 10:00 AM
I loveeeeeee my mac....it was fun playing around on it last night while I watched rhdricheeee trying to fix hector and felipes laptops from virus central!

NOT hating on PC's at all, I have a desktop PC, laptop PC, and a macbook. I use all 3 for different things. If you are going to be needing a lot of Windows programs, get the PC because once you put Windows on your MAC, the risk is right back for all of the little 12 year olds hacking into your shit. Thanksss Microsoft. ;)

Stealthy
04-14-2007, 10:08 AM
I don't know that I NEED windows OS, but I'm familiar with it. I've heard that the Mac is super user friendly, just takes some getting used to. Plus the school will make sure that it has all the programing needed. The Dell looks nicer, but I hear a lot of bad shit about Dell all the time.

samster
04-14-2007, 11:14 AM
with the new mac's you can run both OS's. doesn't work the same way with the Dell because of how protective Apple is with their OS's and Hardware.

I'd recommend the Mac for versatility. Oh and no viruses FTW

RhdRicheeee
04-14-2007, 01:26 PM
guru = advert

Stealthy
04-15-2007, 02:19 AM
guru = advert

Then tell him to call me or post on here what he thinks..

advert
04-15-2007, 12:48 PM
A lot of the professional programs aren't made for Mac. You'll be SOL if you had to use one for one of your classes. That's something to consider, especially if you're going to be using it for school.

A lot kids at my school show up with their fancy looking iBook and they can't run the program that the class uses, because they don't make them for Mac. Solidworks and MATLAB are two examples.

anything made by autodesk also.

but seeing that he is asking these kind of questions i doubt he is going to doing any 3-d modiling.

with the new mac's you can run both OS's. doesn't work the same way with the Dell because of how protective Apple is with their OS's and Hardware.

I'd recommend the Mac for versatility. Oh and no viruses FTW

o i bet you can run mac on that dell ;)
my pc at home sure loves mac os, been running solid for over a month now.

Then tell him to call me or post on here what he thinks..

stealth personaly if I where you i would get the mac, its a little harder for it to get malware, spyware, and virus's. being a computer you are going to use for school you dont want to have to deal with that kind of shit. i dont know how good you are with computers to deal with that kind of stuff. me personaly i would just take the dell. i love the mac os but i think once you pick up that i book you become a slave to steve jobs.

Stealthy
04-16-2007, 10:15 AM
anything made by autodesk also.

but seeing that he is asking these kind of questions i doubt he is going to doing any 3-d modiling.

o i bet you can run mac on that dell ;)
my pc at home sure loves mac os, been running solid for over a month now.

stealth personaly if I where you i would get the mac, its a little harder for it to get malware, spyware, and virus's. being a computer you are going to use for school you dont want to have to deal with that kind of shit. i dont know how good you are with computers to deal with that kind of stuff. me personaly i would just take the dell. i love the mac os but i think once you pick up that i book you become a slave to steve jobs.

Thanks budd.. Like I said earlier, I'm familiar with the Windows OS, but I don't like Dell. I've never used the iMac, but have been told good things. The school will provide me with everything that I need for it, so programming isn't an issue.