PDA

View Full Version : Dohc Zc

Zero
04-16-2007, 07:30 AM
can i put this bad boy in my 92 4 door lx? its an auto and what mods would i have to do to fit the intermedit shaft i believe the ZC needs right? lmk

ILIKETODRIVE
04-16-2007, 09:23 PM
The ZC doesn't NEED the midshaft, the trans does.

You can't, however, run a cable trans in a hydro car.

SO, any manual USDM hydro D-Series trans that uses unequal length axles will work fine. You would want to get a large bearing EX/Si trans because they have the best gearing.

PS - PM me your number again, I lost it. I would like to get that dizzy still.

Zero
04-17-2007, 06:58 AM
lolz ok

Zero
04-17-2007, 07:00 AM
so what hydro trans will work on dis shit? cause i like the ZC motor and is not too pricey to me compared to a b series or k swap

dantana
04-17-2007, 02:10 PM
so what hydro trans will work on dis shit? cause i like the ZC motor and is not too pricey to me compared to a b series or k swap

that motor is almost as bad as your grammer, just keep whatever engine you already have, the zc is junk!
save the money for the titty bar!
dan

ILIKETODRIVE
04-17-2007, 05:50 PM
ZC's are stud engines if you're too cheap to go B/K. They are only 4hp short of 90-91 B18A's and 14hp of 92-01 B18A/B's.

Stock for stock, they are a lot better than SOHC VTEC's.

Any 92-00 USDM manual D-Series trans will work.

onefst91hatch
04-17-2007, 05:55 PM
yeah i like the dual cam ZC's. and it can be put in that car fairly easy. if you need help just pm me bro!

Zero
04-17-2007, 10:10 PM
thanks simon and chris!!!!!

dantana
04-18-2007, 09:39 AM
Stock for stock, they are a lot better than SOHC VTEC's.

i disagree, those engines were scrapped by honda after a few years becuase of oil issues similar to the b21. if your going to flog on your engine, sohc vtec is much more reliable.
mugen and king had to run drysumps, add squirters, tons of baffeling just to get them around a roadtrack
for DD maybe its better, but its build sucks

ILIKETODRIVE
04-18-2007, 11:54 AM
i disagree, those engines were scrapped by honda after a few years becuase of oil issues similar to the b21. if your going to flog on your engine, sohc vtec is much more reliable.
mugen and king had to run drysumps, add squirters, tons of baffeling just to get them around a roadtrack
for DD maybe its better, but its build sucks

WRONG! DOHC ZC engines were produced in Japan until 2001. Want proof? When I get home I'll get some from D-Series.org.

D16Y5/7/8's have MAJOR oil pump problems. Those pumps are weaker than other D-Series pumps. It's a proven FACT. I'll search and find that again on D-Series.org as well.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but don't test my D knowledge. :wave:

HEADSHOT
04-18-2007, 11:57 AM
WRONG! DOHC ZC engines were produced in Japan until 2001. Want proof? When I get home I'll get some from D-Series.org.

D16Y5/7/8's have MAJOR oil pump problems. Those pumps are weaker than other D-Series pumps. It's a proven FACT. I'll search and find that again on D-Series.org as well.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but don't test my D knowledge. :wave:

simon's dseries knowledge gets you laid

ILIKETODRIVE
04-18-2007, 12:25 PM
Not concrete because the pics are gone BUT: http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1732

The D16A8/9 is the DOHC ZC in Europe and came in Rover's and EK's. There are also OBD-0 version's of the D16A8/9's. There are OBD-1 DOHC ZC's that came in special edition EG's.

Little footnote: The D16A1 from USDM 86-89 Integra's is sometimes called a DOHC ZC, but it's not. The bell housing pattern is different than any other D-Series and the trans internals are different and not interchangeable.

dantana
04-18-2007, 12:57 PM
:but: look im not trying to argue at all, from a driver's standpoint, id run a D into the ground anyday over the ZC, hell we had a carbed, cammed, zc in an 87 si that was amazing..... until the bearings spun, then they spun again. drysump is the only way to go on those.
good job with the knowledge though!

Zero
04-18-2007, 01:08 PM
** kneels before Simon...... D- Series God** lolz

ILIKETODRIVE
04-18-2007, 04:21 PM
:but: look im not trying to argue at all, from a driver's standpoint, id run a D into the ground anyday over the ZC, hell we had a carbed, cammed, zc in an 87 si that was amazing..... until the bearings spun, then they spun again. drysump is the only way to go on those.
good job with the knowledge though!

I see what you're saying. :thumbup:

onefst91hatch
04-18-2007, 04:55 PM
so why do you need to run a dry sump. just have the OEM pump rebuilt. i know of a company that garantees at 10 psi per 1000 rpm. which mean 8k rpm = 80 psi. thats plenty of oil pressure for something that is driven daily on the streets. i mean if you need more than 80 psi than its pretty much a race car anyways. thats just my .02

dantana
04-19-2007, 09:44 AM
so why do you need to run a dry sump. just have the OEM pump rebuilt. i know of a company that garantees at 10 psi per 1000 rpm. which mean 8k rpm = 80 psi. thats plenty of oil pressure for something that is driven daily on the streets. i mean if you need more than 80 psi than its pretty much a race car anyways. thats just my .02

i guess your right, for a street car maybe its not a bad swap at all. those cams and carbs were a blast once they were tuned...
you guys win, zc doenst suck.
heres a bit of info on drysumps incase you guys were wondering how they work.

(borrowed from nxsprime)
Oil starvation is a bit harder to solve. To fully understand the issue, you need to understand how the system works. The zc, along with almost every other street car(porsche is the exception) in the world, uses a "wet sump" oil system. The "sump" is the bottom of the crankcase where the oil collects after being pumped to the engine. On a wet sump system, this oil that collects in the oil pan is pumped directly from this pan back into the engine. Under high G-forces, it is possible for the oil slosh to one side, away from the oil pump pickup tube. In some situations the oil pump feed tube will no longer be submerged, which means the pump will suck in air instead of oil. Once that happens, your engine will feel as good as new... because you will have to replace it with a new engine.

In a "dry sump" system, a scavenge pump moves oil from the sump at the bottom of the crankcase into a holding tank (usually located low to improve the center of gravity). The main oil pump takes oil from the bottom of this holding tank and pumps it back into the engine's system of oil passages. The advantage of this system is that it prevents oil starvation during hard cornering. With the dry sump's large vertical storage tank, you'd have to turn the car upside down to keep oil away from the pickup point. Most race cars use a dry sump system unless it is prohibited by their series rules.

onefst91hatch
04-20-2007, 12:20 AM
i guess your right, for a street car maybe its not a bad swap at all. those cams and carbs were a blast once they were tuned...
you guys win, zc doenst suck.
heres a bit of info on drysumps incase you guys were wondering how they work.

(borrowed from nxsprime)
Oil starvation is a bit harder to solve. To fully understand the issue, you need to understand how the system works. The zc, along with almost every other street car(porsche is the exception) in the world, uses a "wet sump" oil system. The "sump" is the bottom of the crankcase where the oil collects after being pumped to the engine. On a wet sump system, this oil that collects in the oil pan is pumped directly from this pan back into the engine. Under high G-forces, it is possible for the oil slosh to one side, away from the oil pump pickup tube. In some situations the oil pump feed tube will no longer be submerged, which means the pump will suck in air instead of oil. Once that happens, your engine will feel as good as new... because you will have to replace it with a new engine.

In a "dry sump" system, a scavenge pump moves oil from the sump at the bottom of the crankcase into a holding tank (usually located low to improve the center of gravity). The main oil pump takes oil from the bottom of this holding tank and pumps it back into the engine's system of oil passages. The advantage of this system is that it prevents oil starvation during hard cornering. With the dry sump's large vertical storage tank, you'd have to turn the car upside down to keep oil away from the pickup point. Most race cars use a dry sump system unless it is prohibited by their series rules.

good write up! :clap: