PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY!! The nightmare is OVER

*inFamous*
04-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Electrical problem OWNED!

I finally isolated the fuse problem to the cabin harness and it just clicked.... the Secondary O2 is NOT on the engine harness AND i use Hondata so it was disabled so wont throw a CEL even though it was malfunctioning!

Basically, SRD put exhaust on my car 2 years ago nearly and they set the o2 sensor up poorly and it rubbed on the chassis. Well it was never a problem because the undercoating is non conductive... well it finally had rubbed through the undercoating and the wiring so it was grounding out on the chassis blowing the fuse 24 which is the main fuse for the cabin harness.

This explains why it didn't happen at idle and only in gear because when the motor shifted due to torque, it moved the o2 sensor just a little and caused it to short out...

BAM

Picture :)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n282/hondatonissan/DSC_0260.jpg

Electrical be OWNED!

imm0rtal
04-22-2007, 03:57 PM
3 months later and it's finally fixed. Glad to see that was the problem and not something else :P

*inFamous*
04-22-2007, 03:59 PM
kinda wish SRD hadn't installed that test pipe that way lol. i never woulda even though of this until i looked closely at the electrical diagram and noticed the 02 sensors on seperate harness's and talking to joe confirming i only used the primary so the secondary woudn't throw any code.s

YewllowDA
04-22-2007, 03:59 PM
haha finally.
i see.
it suppose to be installed sideways i think

*inFamous*
04-22-2007, 04:13 PM
haha finally.
i see.
it suppose to be installed sideways i think

Not even an issue of sideways or not, they could have put it 2 inches forward and it woulda been fine.

The issue is, no one bothered to check it before sending it out to me.

THat was the ONE time my integra has EVER been in a shop. What are the odds that my one shop visit turned out a bust after 2 years lol

YewllowDA
04-22-2007, 04:17 PM
oh i see.
anyways, my friends SI is throwing a code p420 ctayltic below effieciency....
so i used a scanner and checked both 02 sensors are producing the same voltage of .590. theres suppose to be a difference when its working efficiently....
cat needs to be replace right????

*inFamous*
04-22-2007, 04:23 PM
oh i see.
anyways, my friends SI is throwing a code p420 ctayltic below effieciency....
so i used a scanner and checked both 02 sensors are producing the same voltage of .590. theres suppose to be a difference when its working efficiently....
cat needs to be replace right????

sounds like the cats fuxed. yes there shoudl be different readings at each end showing that the cat is working. if they are at the same voltage, its not doing shizz :)

YewllowDA
04-22-2007, 04:24 PM
its like $500 at the dealer......tho

*inFamous*
04-22-2007, 04:27 PM
get a used one :) i bought mine on here for 25 bucks :)

YewllowDA
04-22-2007, 04:36 PM
u running obd2?

*inFamous*
04-22-2007, 04:38 PM
u running obd2?

FOr emissions ,yes... its a 97 so its OBDIIa, i usually run an OBDI computer though :)

Honduhluv
04-22-2007, 04:39 PM
wow!!! was that causing the car to shut down.

*inFamous*
04-22-2007, 04:39 PM
wow!!! was that causing the car to shut down.

yup. when i shifted the o2 sensor touched the chassis and grounded out

YewllowDA
04-22-2007, 04:40 PM
FOr emissions ,yes... its a 97 so its OBDIIa, i usually run an OBDI computer though :)
haha...
does it runs good also at obd2?

*inFamous*
04-22-2007, 04:40 PM
haha...
does it runs good also at obd2?

It woudl if i had a tuned OBDII computer :) but i dont!

Revhard2003
04-22-2007, 09:02 PM
sounds like the cats fuxed. yes there shoudl be different readings at each end showing that the cat is working. if they are at the same voltage, its not doing shizz :)

What up peeps I am new to AZHT one of my friends just told me about this local forum for Honda heads so here I am. :hi:

IntegraLS you have a mighty clean look'n ride! Anyways sorry to hear about your SRD experience; I had an issue with them the first time I brought my downpipe in to have them clock it a different direction.

To touch on the quote; you are pretty close to the mark with the different readings; depending on what equipment you are using you should be able to see the voltage on both of the o2 sensors moving up and down - both should be moving pretty erratic/fast up n down. If they are not doing anything then both may be dead or just really lazy ( lazy o2 is when the readings are moving slow). I would start out by replacing one of the o2 sensors to double check that it is indeed the o2 sensor. It is pretty rare for a cat to go bad since there is nothing to go wrong in it - there is only the honey comb element which catches carbon deposits. Unless the cat has been gutted or it is a really old cat then no replacement should be needed.

Damn this is long but just to let you know I feel your pain when it comes to emission testing - having to de-tune your car every time you go blows :barf:

I see you have 3,000 plus post in here looks like I a lot of posting to do - yeah right - I'd go brain dead before then. Take it easy and keep that ride of yours roll'n!

*inFamous*
04-22-2007, 09:11 PM
lol i've been on this forum for too long!

Revhard2003
04-22-2007, 09:14 PM
LOL if you respond that fast to posting's then indeed you have. :clap:

*inFamous*
04-22-2007, 09:15 PM
rofl.

yeah oh wellz. thats what i get for having a cush job and nothing to do lol

Revhard2003
04-22-2007, 09:19 PM
sounds like my kind of job..... come to think of it I am not working right now...but school blows. I guess thats my job writing term papers.

*inFamous*
04-22-2007, 09:21 PM
yeah im doing school to lol. fun times!

Revhard2003
04-22-2007, 09:25 PM
yeah lots! hey if we keep this up I think I may hit 3000 post tonight. However, I would like to make my contrinution to the knowledge base here. I've noticed you in almost every forum I've checked out. Curious to know how long has AZHT been up - I just recently heard about this forum.

Revhard2003
04-22-2007, 09:26 PM
lol nevermind copyright at bottom says 2000

azteamextreme
04-22-2007, 09:27 PM
dam that not good if you have wireing like that lucking you going it fix

*inFamous*
04-22-2007, 09:30 PM
yeah its been around since forever and then before that to lol!

I am on as many automotive forums as i can be, particularly hondas (certified honda technician trained by honda). So u'll see me butting in here n there

*inFamous*
04-22-2007, 09:35 PM
all this would also explain why my battery drained fast over a period of like 3 days lol

Revhard2003
04-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Gooddeal. Your making me envious man trained by Honda! I was an Aircraft Mechanic in the Air Force worked on the F-16's @ Luke AFB; did my 4 yrs and got out. I know Honda's from work'n on them as a hobby. LOL mom just happened to have a 94GSR - it was my first car and ever since then I've been hooked. I have been trying to actually give up tuning (other obligations and hard to find time these days) but - there is no way in hell I can give it up.

Revhard2003
04-22-2007, 09:50 PM
all this would also explain why my battery drained fast over a period of like 3 days lol

Yeap a dead battery over the span of a few days - points to a ground out somewhere or an exposed wire. I have seen batteries drain simply because some one forgot heat shrink or even electrical tape - of course it actually took longer than a few days to kill the battery but in the long run the exposed wire touched an area it was not supposed to. Much like in your situation - its crazy how all it takes is one wire to screw your day up.

DJ NeX
04-22-2007, 10:00 PM
gotta love OBDII cars :(

Revhard2003
04-22-2007, 10:07 PM
And things are only goning to get worse with all this global warming peeps are speaking about. Soon I'll be saying I got 10 hydrogen cells what you got - I run 35sec at the strip on semi rubber made tires.

Revhard2003
04-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Yo IntegraLS - its was good chat'n with you - I am sure I'll be seeing you in the post or wait it's the other way around you'll be seeing me in the posts more often. Take easy man I'm signing off for now. Wife is nagging me to get off. :poke:

*inFamous*
04-22-2007, 11:21 PM
gotta love OBDII cars :(

i love my OBDII car :) Emissions is a breeeeze!

*inFamous*
04-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Yeap a dead battery over the span of a few days - points to a ground out somewhere or an exposed wire. I have seen batteries drain simply because some one forgot heat shrink or even electrical tape - of course it actually took longer than a few days to kill the battery but in the long run the exposed wire touched an area it was not supposed to. Much like in your situation - its crazy how all it takes is one wire to screw your day up.

yeah i was looking ALL OVER for this short to ground (the dash was pulled, engine harness etc)

The problem was that the short to ground only occured once in a great while (i coudlnt' duplicate the problem to diagnose it).

I finally just studied the diagrams alot and noted that i had checked virtually everything else EXCEPT the O2 sensors and that the secondary was on the cabin harness, not the engine harness (i had eliminated the engine harness as a problem).

well dont let the wife nag ya to much, azht pwns!

Stealthy
04-22-2007, 11:23 PM
Yay for Ravi

*inFamous*
04-22-2007, 11:25 PM
yay is right. i can drive my car without being scared of a shutdown again !

which means

TRACK TIMEEEEE

Revhard2003
04-23-2007, 08:47 AM
yeah i was looking ALL OVER for this short to ground (the dash was pulled, engine harness etc)

The problem was that the short to ground only occured once in a great while (i coudlnt' duplicate the problem to diagnose it).

I finally just studied the diagrams alot and noted that i had checked virtually everything else EXCEPT the O2 sensors and that the secondary was on the cabin harness, not the engine harness (i had eliminated the engine harness as a problem).

well dont let the wife nag ya to much, azht pwns!

Talk about a lot of wire shooting - that must have been a very tedious trouble shoot. It sucks when you can not duplicate a problem on a wim. Its like find a tick on a hairy mans chest........damn thats nasty.

*inFamous*
04-23-2007, 08:50 AM
Talk about a lot of wire shooting - that must have been a very tedious trouble shoot. It sucks when you can not duplicate a problem on a wim. Its like find a tick on a hairy mans chest........damn thats nasty.

yeah and especially since the OBDI computer wasn't looking for a secondary 02 it wasn't throwing a code so no indicator like normal lol

Revhard2003
04-23-2007, 09:53 AM
lol thats why it is always good to throw the stock obdII ecu on everynow and then- checks more sensors - makes it easier to catch those annoying problems - I just hate them for throwing so many check engine lights also for hindering tuning capabilities.

*inFamous*
04-23-2007, 09:58 AM
lol thats why it is always good to throw the stock obdII ecu on everynow and then- checks more sensors - makes it easier to catch those annoying problems - I just hate them for throwing so many check engine lights also for hindering tuning capabilities.

Stock computer in my car = 239472 cels :)

Revhard2003
04-23-2007, 10:12 AM
lmao....ok so maybe not that easy to find those annyoing problems

Manga_Spawn
04-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Man we looked at every thing on that car. That crazy that it was the O2. So glad you finally figured it out man. Good to see you can drive the teg without being scared of getting stranded on the road or worse. I like only having 1 o2 on my car.

*inFamous*
04-23-2007, 06:06 PM
yeah i am very happy :) i may do some other items while i have it on jackstands

Revhard2003
04-24-2007, 12:15 PM
IntegraLS I just noticed the bottom of your signature if the price is right......do you have another project going?

Manga_Spawn
04-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Hey yeah!!! Are you selling the teg? Gunning for that GTR aren't you? Don't sell the teg man thats such a sick car.

*inFamous*
04-24-2007, 12:17 PM
IntegraLS I just noticed the bottom of your signature if the price is right......do you have another project going?

I always have projects going on :)

Revhard2003
04-24-2007, 12:32 PM
:thumbup: Spoken like a true Enthusiast.

*inFamous*
04-24-2007, 02:15 PM
mmm more boost in the nissan = fun!

Revhard2003
04-24-2007, 09:13 PM
mmm more boost in the nissan = fun!

mmmmm boost drool.......oh sorry let me wipe that off your car.

*inFamous*
04-24-2007, 09:18 PM
mmmmm boost drool.......oh sorry let me wipe that off your car.

*tosses you a rag and some turtle wax*

i wanna see my face in that bish

Revhard2003
04-24-2007, 09:30 PM
*tosses you a rag and some turtle wax*

i wanna see my face in that bish

*Then you better pass me the buffer for that* :clap: