PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone done this??

INTEGRA DC2
04-25-2007, 02:55 PM
i was told that taking and putting the coolant temp sensor on a switch will get me more power, if you ground out the sensor it send a signal to the ecu letting it know that it is still cold and puts more gas into the motor, WILL THIS WORK, i was going to take my coolant and VTEC and put them both on a switch so when i go to launch off the line i will get more power, YES OR NO

hawaii_DA6
04-26-2007, 08:12 AM
NOOOO!!!
never fuck with any sensor, or its circuitry, unless you know exaclty how it will affect your engine running characteristics.

NOOOO!!!
This will defianately not yeild more power.

a CTS sensor is a negative temperature coefficient thermal resistor. Or in your terms: when temp goes up, resistance goes down, and when temp goes down, resistance is increased. SO...

There are two wires usually in a CTS circuit. one is VREF, or Voltage reference, and the other is Signal Return. The ECU will sent typicaly 5 volts down this VREF circuit and drop a certain amount of voltage across this Thermal Resistor depending on the temp of the coolant.

By unplugging the sensor, no voltage will return to the ECU via the Signal Return, and this will register as -40 degrees farenheight every time nomatter what. Grounding this Signal Return will have the exact same effect and will make your car run like shit.

whomever told you this definately does not know how bad they are fucking up their motor.

hawaii_DA6
04-26-2007, 08:16 AM
And I forgot to mention that ECU's have wats called " Rationality Checks " that are programed in to the ROM just incase somthing like this actually does happen.

If your CTS input is in fact grounded/ shorted/ unplugged. The ECU will compare this against the IAT or Intake Air Temperature sensor and see that it is "out of range" and throw a MIL/ CEL code.

YewllowDA
04-26-2007, 10:39 AM
ive heard about the putting resistor in the CTS circuit. and it did work. well, u need a toggle switch also to switch between the two. circuit; one for normal circuit and one for the circuit w/ resistor..so when you go to emmsions u use the normal and if you want performance then hit the switch. not sure about how much power you'll get from it....

ILIKETODRIVE
04-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Stock Honda ECU's run rich as it is, why would you want to add to that? More does not = more power without lots of extra air, more compression and more aggresive timing to go with.

YewllowDA
04-26-2007, 05:02 PM
it was tried in a different car not a honda.
i know , i know
running to rich will cause a misfire......

I Hate Import Cars
05-01-2007, 02:15 AM
Jesus, is this REALLY a discussion? Stop trying to rig your ride and BUILD POWER THE RIGHT WAY!!! Stop trying to trick the ecu, be smarter than the programmers, or whatever else. By the way, ECU reads "lower than normal" ect, and VTEC is not going to engage if I remember correctly...

BTW, good post Hawaii DA6...spoken like a true SOP! ;) Nice to know someone else on this site knows their shit.

taggart_lumpy
05-01-2007, 02:20 AM
just dont do it period nor try it