PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers Vs. Springs

YuckerDisMe
04-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Which do you prefer?

YuckerDisMe
04-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Not sure which ones to get, so i was looking for some opinions...

I want springs because its better ride quality but my car doesnt sit even since i had these springs installed, so i was leaning towards coilovers since you could make it even...

GNU
04-25-2007, 10:12 PM
it doesnt really matter aslong as you do it right. Get matching struts for your springs if you go that route. thats where most people fuck up. They get a really high spring rate spring and pair it with a shitty strut that cannot control the rebound and you get shitty handling...

RhdRicheeee
04-26-2007, 08:43 AM
Voted!

hawaii_DA6
04-26-2007, 10:10 AM
hmmm.....

seven to one odds......

Im gonna have to say that people should do some research before asking questions on what setups to run...

no offense to you guy.

Chiodos
04-26-2007, 11:20 AM
voted for springs because i felt bad it didnt have any votes

hawaii_DA6
04-26-2007, 11:24 AM
haha

tokyospeedpros
04-26-2007, 01:01 PM
voted for springs because i felt bad it didnt have any votes

LMAO, I prefer coilovers for the amount of adjustability personally. just my .02

YuckerDisMe
04-26-2007, 03:31 PM
hmmm.....

seven to one odds......

Im gonna have to say that people should do some research before asking questions on what setups to run...

no offense to you guy.

whos to say i didnt do research, i just want to know everyones opinion.

hawaii_DA6
04-26-2007, 08:55 PM
when comparing Springs to Full coilovers, there is no competition.

YuckerDisMe
04-26-2007, 10:03 PM
so what do you have on your car?

Raider1911
04-26-2007, 10:44 PM
cut stock springs and blown struts!

( kidding obviously)

bukEk
04-26-2007, 10:58 PM
i wish i had coilovers on my car...

Chiodos
04-27-2007, 06:42 AM
when comparing Springs to Full coilovers, there is no competition.

x2

hawaii_DA6
04-27-2007, 07:37 AM
so what do you have on your car?

Fully dampening Adjustable Full body Coilovers.

YuckerDisMe
04-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Fully dampening Adjustable Full body Coilovers.

do you have ksport, tein, ect...

hawaii_DA6
04-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Omni Power Fully adjustable Coilovers

spring rate front = 10K

spring rate rear = 8K

6 way dampening adjustability

integraLS sells these if your interested

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/hawaiiDA6/134.jpg

YuckerDisMe
04-27-2007, 11:39 AM
how much?

hawaii_DA6
04-27-2007, 12:09 PM
pm this guy. ------ http://www.azht.net/forum/member.php?u=88

he sells

I got mine for about 700.00... but there more than that.

will be roughly around $800.00?

YuckerDisMe
04-27-2007, 12:29 PM
im probably going to get the ksports, i was already talking to tsp...there about the same price...I heard there are alot of problems with the omni's?

FUK JDM
04-27-2007, 12:46 PM
im probably going to get the ksports, i was already talking to tsp...there about the same price...I heard there are alot of problems with the omni's?

You're going to hear a lot of problems with any kind of coilover. I personally dont like Omnis, I had Ksports on my da, Loved Them. Was going to purchase the ksports for my is300 but read that previous guys have had nothing but problems with them leaking within 6months. I purchased the TEIN SS because i got a great deal. I was going to go with JICs but like i said i came across an awesome price. Ill be purchasing the jics soon but for now these teins do the job. If you're not looking to do anything as far as road racing etc id go with a full coilover set from Skunk2. I sale all of the above and always get feedback from all my customers, It all comes down to what you want. Good luck.

YuckerDisMe
04-27-2007, 01:41 PM
i have a brand new set of ground control coilovers in the my garage that are still in the box but i want to get a better set of coilovers... I've been looking for a while, and i've looked at just about every brand and the ones i heard the best about where the teins and ksports. But not alot of companys make stuff for my car.

rum151
04-27-2007, 03:24 PM
keep the ground controls and buy some koni struts bro . it will handle nice and the shock will take the drops GC provides.!! or go my route like i tolled you before. neuspeed race springs with a tokico blue's. 2.25. fronts and 2.0 rears. suit up with some strut bars and rear lower conrol arms and camber kits the ride is sick!! ... coilovers over just springs all day!!! my two cents. !

YuckerDisMe
04-27-2007, 04:14 PM
keep the ground controls and buy some koni struts bro . it will handle nice and the shock will take the drops GC provides.!! or go my route like i tolled you before. neuspeed race springs with a tokico blue's. 2.25. fronts and 2.0 rears. suit up with some strut bars and rear lower conrol arms and camber kits the ride is sick!! ... coilovers over just springs all day!!! my two cents. !

remember im the one that told you about the spring/shock setup, lol...have you gotten them installed yet? Not sure if im going to keep them...im pretty sure im going to get the ksports instead unless i find a really good deal on struts...

Splashystrwbery
04-27-2007, 05:22 PM
coil overs = slammed one day.. driveable the next:-)

imm0rtal
04-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Coilovers man, but not the cheap ass ebay ones. Get something nice like those Omnis, some Ksports, Teins, etc.

I love my Tein Super Streets on my daily driver. Problem is, they go too low for someone like me :P

YuckerDisMe
04-27-2007, 07:30 PM
as of right now im most likely getting ksports unless i find some tein ss for the same price.

rushbuster70
04-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Go with the Tein SS...i'm saving my money for those.

imm0rtal
04-28-2007, 12:58 AM
as of right now im most likely getting ksports unless i find some tein ss for the same price.If you look hard enough you might find some for a good price. I got my SS for $150 when someone posted them up on here at like 3am one morning. Just gotta be patient and keep your eyes open :thumbup:

xXRollinXx
04-28-2007, 05:51 PM
coil overs

91tegc5
04-29-2007, 12:04 AM
i perfer springs because they dont move over time like the coils do. since my friend had his he had to adjust them about 3 or 4 times. all for corners. and they are not no cheapy's either i cant remember the brand but i know he spent like 6 bills on them. so i vote springs.

YuckerDisMe
04-29-2007, 08:29 PM
thats true, but i dont know anyone with springs whos car sits even...One side is always lower then the other.

hawaii_DA6
04-30-2007, 10:30 AM
:(

imm0rtal
05-01-2007, 06:27 PM
i perfer springs because they dont move over time like the coils do. since my friend had his he had to adjust them about 3 or 4 times. all for corners. and they are not no cheapy's either i cant remember the brand but i know he spent like 6 bills on them. so i vote springs.That has got to be a defect in his setup or in how he tightens them because my Teins have never come loose on me. Granted, I tightened the hell out of them when I put them on and I make sure they stay tight :P

rum151
05-02-2007, 08:45 AM
remember im the one that told you about the spring/shock setup, lol...have you gotten them installed yet? Not sure if im going to keep them...im pretty sure im going to get the ksports instead unless i find a really good deal on struts...

haha ya man you recommended that setup and its rides pretty sick, hugs the street and takes corners really good. and sits really really nice. like barely 1 finger gap in the front and like 2 finger gap in the rear just enough for me to add a woofer and some sound to my ride to bring it down a lil. overall. its not really low but low enough and handles great. ill post up pics as soon as i get them uploaded.

YuckerDisMe
05-02-2007, 03:15 PM
haha ya man you recommended that setup and its rides pretty sick, hugs the street and takes corners really good. and sits really really nice. like barely 1 finger gap in the front and like 2 finger gap in the rear just enough for me to add a woofer and some sound to my ride to bring it down a lil. overall. its not really low but low enough and handles great. ill post up pics as soon as i get them uploaded.

yeah cause i want to see what it looks like :)

EurospecUSDMtyte
05-03-2007, 06:32 AM
thats true, but i dont know anyone with springs whos car sits even...One side is always lower then the other.

Maybe if they are buying ebay specials... Get a set of tokico blues and Eibach springs. Coilovers are a waste of time unless you are going to the track all the time and needing to always change the settings. I wasted money on a set of Tein SS coilovers, I installed them and never adjusted them again. So my vote was for springs. But this poll should have been for Springs and struts or coilovers for it to be a 1-1 comparison.

anti-ricer
05-03-2007, 01:51 PM
voted

YuckerDisMe
05-03-2007, 03:27 PM
i bought racing springs from sh motorsports and had them install them and my car never sat right afterwards and i took them back the same day and they said it wasnt their fault and that there wasnt anything they could do about it...So i dont recommend going to them.

rum151
05-04-2007, 08:50 AM
indeed true, i was but not anymore a person about the adjustable struts. too much hastle. i chose to just run one setup and make it the best ,. but yes, the poll should have been coilovers vs springs and struts.

in this case i would have to still go with my choice the spring and strut combo, one time setup with the proper extras added for superior handling will do you just as good if not better than a coilover setup. but thats my opinion.

Maybe if they are buying ebay specials... Get a set of tokico blues and Eibach springs. Coilovers are a waste of time unless you are going to the track all the time and needing to always change the settings. I wasted money on a set of Tein SS coilovers, I installed them and never adjusted them again. So my vote was for springs. But this poll should have been for Springs and struts or coilovers for it to be a 1-1 comparison.

maybe should of got some struts? or maybe SH just sucks !
run a spring and strut combo. i swear man my car handles so good. im going to save up doe and do a track run at firebird soon and take it to its test . but on the streets man im cornering easily and hugging the ground pretty hard,.
im going to look for a carbon fiber lip and sides for the finish . my front and rear strut bars are keeping my struts really tight, feels sick man.

05-03-2007 03:27 PM
YuckerDisMe i bought racing springs from sh motorsports and had them install them and my car never sat right afterwards and i took them back the same day and they said it wasnt their fault and that there wasnt anything they could do about it...So i dont recommend going to them.

YuckerDisMe
05-04-2007, 05:58 PM
so when you going to let me take it for a test drive :) i might change my mind on the which set to get :)

rum151
05-07-2007, 09:30 AM
i just went a 50 series on my stock tires and it lowered my car a tiny bit more but makes the car look more agressive. ill keep ya posted for a test drive.

Downshift
05-07-2007, 05:56 PM
I voted springs because that's what I think you should put on your car: stock springs.
Save up, buy that MR2 turbo and put coilovers on that bitch. :thumbup:

tfizzle
05-07-2007, 06:43 PM
that was an easy vote

YuckerDisMe
05-07-2007, 07:14 PM
hey dan your opinion no longer matters lol....j/k

not sure if i want to do springs again unless i could get a gaurantee that the car will be level and i dont think any shop would gaurantee that...

Downshift
05-07-2007, 09:28 PM
hey dan your opinion no longer matters lol....j/k

not sure if i want to do springs again unless i could get a gaurantee that the car will be level and i dont think any shop would gaurantee that...
No, performance shops can't guarantee shit.
If you really want a guarantee that it'll sit right, have a dealership put the stock springs back on.
That guarantee comes at a price though...

If I were you, I'd rather have my car sit right and not have to worry about speed bumps and gutters fucking my car's whole suspension setup.
...but you already knew this. ;)

YuckerDisMe
05-08-2007, 03:34 PM
:boxer:

Downshift
05-09-2007, 02:10 AM
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/esternogligen/peepwall-1.gif

YuckerDisMe
05-09-2007, 03:25 PM
^
lol

topramn
05-10-2007, 12:42 PM
i perfer springs because they dont move over time like the coils do. since my friend had his he had to adjust them about 3 or 4 times. all for corners. and they are not no cheapy's either i cant remember the brand but i know he spent like 6 bills on them. so i vote springs.

typically on coilovers, a hammer should be used to assure maximum tightness when adjusting heaight.. holding the wrenches while having your friend carefully hit them with a hammer is best method.. this ensures that they will not move unless you loosen them with a hammer..