PDA

View Full Version : type r piston into gsr

Ej6_B18c
04-28-2007, 11:41 AM
ok i have jdm gsr or (sir-g) engine and i am planning on installing type r pistons,
what modifications or steps should i take when performing this installation, what
will i need to cahnge or modify.

90civicdx
04-28-2007, 11:44 AM
when installing itr pistons i have heard its always a best to get your block honed to match but other than that they are a drop ins

honduh_head
04-28-2007, 03:50 PM
hone the cylinder walls, new rings on the pistons and new bearings for the rods, that all you need for them to work...and then a valve adjustment when its all together...

good luck..

DJ NeX
04-28-2007, 11:27 PM
don't forget, new headgasket, you should really mill the head and deck the block, and while you're doing that, you should also put a new oil pump and water pump, and timing belt. I would also do ARP rods bolts, main and head studs. But that's just me.

noVtecHERE
04-29-2007, 09:21 AM
ya seriously henry is right, also if u dont deck the block dont level the head because then since it warps with heat u wont have a proper seal, it is basically better to leave the head and block alone than just doing one, but if u end up with a head from say a b16 and want to put it on your GSR, then it is atleast better to level the head if not the block also... theres a little info for ya, when do you plan on performing this?

Ej6_B18c
04-29-2007, 03:35 PM
im planning on doing this sometime during july

Sparkles
04-29-2007, 05:37 PM
My dad and I did the ultra cheap rebuild.

I used u.s. itr pistons, new head gasket, bottom end gasket kit, new valve seals (not always ness) new bearings.
We took the head off the block and left the block in the car. We had the new pistons pressed on to the rods and used a ball hone on the cylinder walls- they were in great shape after 100k miles.
We disassembled the head and used new exhuast valves and got a valve job.
Then we lapped the valves into the head and put the whole thing back together.
Cost me ~$600 in parts and labor

Has run strong for 2.5 years

bryans_k20
04-29-2007, 05:41 PM
Thats pretty cool, how much of a diff. do the itr pistons make in the b18c1? Think i might want to do this to my del-slow.

hatch91
04-30-2007, 09:33 PM
when installing itr pistons i have heard its always a best to get your block honed to match but other than that they are a drop ins

x2

DJ NeX
04-30-2007, 09:40 PM
hone and deck the block is always always always a good idea :D

Sparkles
05-02-2007, 12:19 AM
I used US ITR pistons so in my gsr motor they yeild 10.8:1 compression which for my street car is fine. You could use the JDM ITR pistons, they would yeild 11.2:1 compression.

The itr and gsr share the same block so the deck height is the same. Buy pistons and rings and have your old pistons rings ready. Go to a machine shop and have them replaced and you are ready to go.

Sparkles
05-02-2007, 12:24 AM
Yeah you'll need to hone the bores but that is the bare minimum. The crosshatching is what holds the oil on the cylinder walls and that is what lubes the cylinders-so you'll need that as a bare minimum. I just used a ball hone on the end of a drill. Up and down a couple of times for a nice crosshatch pattern and I was ready to rock.

I could have had all this shit done like deck the head and deck the block, have the block aligned honed...all that would be cost prohibitive for me since I just wanted the quick and dirty rebuild. I'm not really planning on driving this thing for another 100K but if I do then I'll just rering it again.

Ej6_B18c
05-02-2007, 05:59 PM
kool thnx for da info

Ej6_B18c
05-02-2007, 10:30 PM
any hp gain by installin these or no

Sparkles
05-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Oh yeah. I couldn't tell you how much but you should have Locash Neptune it when you're done to get the full benefit of higher compression.
When I did mine I installed CTR cams and a jdm ITR header but the biggest difference was after joe tuned it.

nighthawkej
06-15-2007, 09:32 PM
would he be fine runnin 91 octane or wat ?

onefst91hatch
06-18-2007, 09:55 PM
would he be fine runnin 91 octane or wat ?

he should be fine on 91. he woiuld be at 11.59:1 compression ratio. and as far as milling the head and decking the block. HAVE IT CHECKED BEFORE YOU HAVE IT DONE. it might not need it. it doesnt have to be done every time. only if it is warped or uneven. and 95% of the time the head will warp and not hurt the block at all. just make sre when you are unbloting the head bolts you losen the bolts in small increments in the reverse pattern of the torque sequence. and also, dont drive your car around all day then come home and pull the head while its still hot. it will warp. hope this helps. gl with the build!

Sparkles
06-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Now we should make a distinction here: milling and decking. Milling is taking off material from the head to get more compression. Decking is taking off just enouph material to make sure the head is completely flat to provide a good seal between the head and block. For a "real" rebuild you should have the head and block decked to ensure a perfect surface and seal.
For my gsr build that I did on the dirty there was no way my block and head were warped enough to warrant a decking; I knew I could get away with just torquing the head back down since I had never overheating the motor to blow the head gasket.

onefst91hatch
06-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Now we should make a distinction here: milling and decking. Milling is taking off material from the head to get more compression. Decking is taking off just enouph material to make sure the head is completely flat to provide a good seal between the head and block. For a "real" rebuild you should have the head and block decked to ensure a perfect surface and seal.
For my gsr build that I did on the dirty there was no way my block and head were warped enough to warrant a decking; I knew I could get away with just torquing the head back down since I had never overheating the motor to blow the head gasket.

:thumbup: i guess i wasnt clear on that one! lol