PDA

View Full Version : good credit card for a balance transfer? anybody work for a bank?

JDMitation
05-02-2007, 06:16 PM
so i have about 1,000 still owed on my wells fargo visa that i am trying to pay off... but it's a bitch because i have a jew account with a 24% interest rate.

i am looking for a credit card that i can get some 0% interest on balance transfers for like 6 months so i can pay this card off over the summer and stop getting ass reamed by wells fargo...

anybody know of one?

rushbuster70
05-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Credit Unions man...

DJ Hookid
05-02-2007, 06:34 PM
:thumbup: Apply for an Amex card :thumbup:

teemfedx
05-02-2007, 07:18 PM
i am in the exact same perDICKament....

fucking wellsfargo and their "college accounts"....bull shit

JDMitation
05-02-2007, 07:22 PM
i am in the exact same perDICKament....

fucking wellsfargo and their "college accounts"....bull shit

yahhhhhh college account.

but, in their defense, they are the only people who would give me a credit card at 18 so... :whatever:

teemfedx
05-02-2007, 07:26 PM
^^^
im in exactly the same boat...then they kept extending my limit, so i kept spending...i put half of my summer school on their that was like 1200 right there...

im down to 900, but 23.6% intrest on my account is a bit high, i keep getting all these things in the mail for new cards, but they never include balance transfers, plus im worried, how do you pay for cards that arnt through your bank?

do you have to send them a check, or can you use your debit card to pay the credit card?

JDMitation
05-02-2007, 07:35 PM
my ex wifey's credit card company used to send her blank checks she could fill in and mail back to pay it off.

sssmokin05si
05-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Not the best I am sure, but I work for Desert Schools FCU. We have 0% for 6 months on balance transfers. Let me look more into it to make sure theres no fees though, because that would make it not worth it.

JDMitation
05-02-2007, 08:19 PM
Not the best I am sure, but I work for Desert Schools FCU. We have 0% for 6 months on balance transfers. Let me look more into it to make sure theres no fees though, because that would make it not worth it.

sweet. that would be awesome thanks. also does anybody know if transfering balances hurts your credit score?

sssmokin05si
05-02-2007, 08:21 PM
sweet. that would be awesome thanks. also does anybody know if transfering balances hurts your credit score?

It shouldn't hurt it. However it will show that you made the application for the new company you go with you know? So I guess it will show as an inquiry.

JDMitation
05-02-2007, 08:32 PM
is desert skools pretty chill? there is one right by my house. i should just switch all my shit over to them im sick of WF

sssmokin05si
05-02-2007, 08:44 PM
is desert skools pretty chill? there is one right by my house. i should just switch all my shit over to them im sick of WF

Very chill. Just go in and look around, people that work for the company are great because we're very well taken care of. As well the accounts are pretty hard to beat. Just check it out, I would pretty much recommend anywhere before wells fargo. If you are looking for a bank I hear Washington Mutual is pretty awesome too.

jägermeister
05-02-2007, 11:53 PM
right now WaMu has a 0% for 9 months or longer maybe and no annual fee.

sssmokin05si
05-03-2007, 08:05 AM
right now WaMu has a 0% for 9 months or longer maybe and no annual fee.

There you go! Do it up, that's a good deal.

jägermeister
05-03-2007, 09:25 AM
i had a customer that applied and got 0% til January 09. that was the only time i saw that offer. but the credit card comes with free online credit fico tracking and fraud protection that emails you whenever an inquiry is made.

Chiodos
05-03-2007, 09:38 AM
damn im lookin to do the same thing haha

4g94 girl
05-03-2007, 09:39 AM
:thumbup: Apply for an Amex card :thumbup:

X2.. Amex gives you 0% interest for the first year.. get the clear card..

rushbuster70
05-03-2007, 10:14 AM
X2.. Amex gives you 0% interest for the first year.. get the clear card..

Don't you have to have really good credit for AMEX???

i had a customer that applied and got 0% til January 09. that was the only time i saw that offer. but the credit card comes with free online credit fico tracking and fraud protection that emails you whenever an inquiry is made.

Is it tough getting a card there also?

jägermeister
05-03-2007, 10:53 AM
each creditor has their own 'general' guidelines that they go buy. I've worked in retail credit before and it can be pretty difficult. I've seen people with 700+ FICO scores get declined due to high amounts owed or limited history on certain types of credit. It also has to do with your debt-to-income ratio, you don't want to over extend yourself, you have to live within your means.

WaMu goes through Providian, I'm not sure of their general lending guidelines, but customers have been very pleased with the service and features.

HEADSHOT
05-03-2007, 12:10 PM
everyone here knows that interests rates are negotiable right??? ask them to lower your interest rate or threaten to cancel the card. just keep your eye out for on of those 0percent interest for a year on balance transfer, then try to get it paid off in a year. or by then do another balance transfer

rushbuster70
05-03-2007, 12:12 PM
everyone here knows that interests rates are negotiable right??? ask them to lower your interest rate or threaten to cancel the card. just keep your eye out for on of those 0percent interest for a year on balance transfer, then try to get it paid off in a year. or by then do another balance transfer

uhh thats not true dude...i use to work for BofA in the credit card department and thats hardly true....you can ask them but they dont have too.if you cancel it and your on a promotional it takes you to the default rate.threatening doesnt always mean your going to get it lowered.it just depends on your credit still.

Daddy_Digital
05-03-2007, 12:18 PM
pay off the credit card asap, cut it and get rid of it. credit cards are the devil!

Owens
05-03-2007, 01:14 PM
uhh thats not true dude...i use to work for BofA in the credit card department and thats hardly true....you can ask them but they dont have too.if you cancel it and your on a promotional it takes you to the default rate.threatening doesnt always mean your going to get it lowered.it just depends on your credit still.

Here's my method of getting low interest rates on everything involving credit. I just call up and say "Hello, I have a card (or insurance, or car payments, etc) through you guys, and I got an offer from ________ saying that if I transfer to them, I will have a lower interest rate and I'll actually be able to pay this off. I figure if I just ask you guys to lower my interest rates, it will save both of us the hassle."

At this point, the person on the phone will say "Uh, I don't think we do that" - and chances are, they don't know how to do it, or if they even can. It's not their fault, they aren't lazy or anything, they simply don't know because their employers never told them much about it and it would need approval anyways. Then ask to speak with their supervisor. Re-explain everything to their supervisor and I will tell you right now they WILL lower it.

I just lowered my interest rates on a $30,000 small business loan to less than half of the original rate (which was done through Bank of America might I add.) I've done it with about 5 different credit cards, I've refinanced my house this way, and refinanced two cars this way. lol, I HAVE TO, why should I have to pay crazy amounts of cash in interest just because I'm young and haven't established a huge credit score?

rushbuster70
05-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Here's my method of getting low interest rates on everything involving credit. I just call up and say "Hello, I have a card (or insurance, or car payments, etc) through you guys, and I got an offer from ________ saying that if I transfer to them, I will have a lower interest rate and I'll actually be able to pay this off. I figure if I just ask you guys to lower my interest rates, it will save both of us the hassle."

At this point, the person on the phone will say "Uh, I don't think we do that" - and chances are, they don't know how to do it, or if they even can. It's not their fault, they aren't lazy or anything, they simply don't know because their employers never told them much about it and it would need approval anyways. Then ask to speak with their supervisor. Re-explain everything to their supervisor and I will tell you right now they WILL lower it.

I just lowered my interest rates on a $30,000 small business loan to less than half of the original rate (which was done through Bank of America might I add.) I've done it with about 5 different credit cards, I've refinanced my house this way, and refinanced two cars this way. lol, I HAVE TO, why should I have to pay crazy amounts of cash in interest just because I'm young and haven't established a huge credit score?

Well thats different than just calling in and saying lower my interest or just cancel my card to get a lower rate...they want to keep your business from that prospective and probably will.but if you just straight up call just threaten...its probably not going to thappen

JDMitation
05-03-2007, 05:05 PM
ya u have to be nice and reasonable about it. the thing is i don't know if i am valuable of a customer enough to Wells Fargo for them to take the bait.

I am 20, have a gold visa card with a 2000 limit with them that i always spend like crazy on. and i also have 6,600 out in school loans from them. do u think they will see me as worth it for lowering my rate?

goose6453
05-11-2007, 01:56 PM
you r u guys still on this or what i work for a bank i do balance transfers all day evry day i know the ins and outs off all that stuff

Agent Smith
05-11-2007, 02:20 PM
AZFCU.ORG or desert schools credit unions FTW! & I got 3 credit cards when I turned 18, the lowest rate being 10.75 fixed & the highest 16.9 fixed... personally I don't carry a balance anytime, & I prefer the option of a fixed rate...

oh yeah, and one more thing, FUCK WELLS FARGO

ZonaAltima
05-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Hey guys I just thought I would post up and ofer some help to those reading this, or to the op. I got one of those 'college credit cards' when I was 19, and my friend gave me the advise to pay it off every month to help my credit score and I did. Then my credit limit was raised since my credit went up. Then I applied for other credit cards, and when they refused to lower my apr, even when I spoke to managers and supervisors explaining my credit score and the fact that I had better pre approved offers mailed to me, they said they couldn't lower my apr, and it was the 'best available', even when I theatened t close it. So I did and reapplied, and my apr went down 13 points and my credit limit went up by 3k, just by reapplying. They don't want to lower your APR, that is how they make money, especially if you owe several thousand and aren't paying it off every month (which it sounds like some of you guys have). Think about it, its like asking them, 'can you please make less money off me?'

Because of working on my credit like this, a few months back I bought a new car during the summer sales, when they had a special promotion, and I got 0.0% for 24 months on a brand new car (even at my age.)

Then since I had good credit AND a new car purchase (again helps credi) I applied for this card (Which might help some of you guys:)
http://www.firstusa.com/cgi-bin/webcgi/webserve.cgi?partner_dir_name=subaru&page=cont&mkid=60MN&msc=Z0003088

It is the Subaru mastercard, it comes with 0.0% for 6 months and balance transfers for six months with no anual fees. So not only does this card sound like it can help you, but it comes with 3% back in Subaru bucks, to use towards a Subaru car, lease, parts, service, or SPT (Subaru Performance Tuning) parts available fom any Subaru dealership for up grades. With it, my credit score has coninued to grow, my apr is zero, plus I earn rewards points, AND my credit score has gone up, which has helped me now that I am leaving for grad school soon.

So check out that card, and hoprfully i will help you guys out. Good luck!