PDA

View Full Version : Mazda Question

azsol
05-08-2007, 11:14 PM
All I really know is Honda (and some VW) but I have a friend who is looking to purchase an RX-8. What should he look for, watch out for, avoid them all together?? He's not much of a 'car' person, just wants something that's halfway reliable and sporty. Anyone have any issues with them?? Please LMK and thanks

azsol
05-09-2007, 09:50 AM
No one here knows anything??

Zero
05-09-2007, 09:53 AM
get an imprezza instead....4 door, sporty looking and fast non turbo car...175hp with AWD....cant go wrong....test drove one

YewllowDA
05-09-2007, 09:54 AM
check this site rx8club.com (http://www.rx8club.com/)

Evil Empire
05-09-2007, 09:55 AM
All the info here, brudda...

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2004-to-2006-mazda-rx-8.htm

Peteex
05-09-2007, 10:24 AM
RX-8. No torque, burns oil.

I drove them all the time when I worked for Earnhardt. They where nice cars, didn't get the best fuel milage, most would start consuming oil after about 10-15K miles. Some people like rotaries, but I still don't see how they are "better" in any respect. They are just "different."

The four usable seats where a plus, along with the clamshell doors. Still sucks down the premium though, unless you need a hardtop, I'd go for a used S2K.

For the same price I'd get a Mazdaspeed 3 though and call it a day. Looks nice, seats 4-5, and has pleanty of utility with the hatch. Very nice cars.

Gary Coleman
05-09-2007, 10:31 AM
I like they way they sound but I can't see over the dash unless my buddy Jimmy lets me borrow a few phone books.

azsol
05-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks all. If it was my money, I know it'd have a lot different plans, but anywho . . .

and thanks Gary, it means the world to me. :smirk:

barroom hero
05-09-2007, 12:14 PM
[QUOTE=Peteex;406835]
. Still sucks down the premium though, .

QUOTE]

regular unleaded gas is better for NA rotories, as premium has more additives that cause carbon buildubs on housing walls/seals inside rotories. Anyone who puts premium in ther rx-8 is silly.

Peteex
05-09-2007, 12:46 PM
regular unleaded gas is better for NA rotories, as premium has more additives that cause carbon buildubs on housing walls/seals inside rotories. Anyone who puts premium in ther rx-8 is silly.

Well I guess someone should probably tell Mazda that:

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=modelsSpecs&vehicleCode=RX8

Silly auto manufacturers. :crazy:

91DA9
05-09-2007, 01:02 PM
My best friend works for Mazda, I guess they've improved efficiency by redoing the entire intake system....It's not as flashy under the hood, but it works ten times better, and makes the car more fuel efficient. He also worked at Earnhardt, and said that the most major problem people have with the RX-8 is that they drive them like they would any other car, and that's not how they are meant to be driven. He told me that have a 13k redline for a reason, and can see that daily with no problems. I guess too many people take only to about 3 grand like you would a normal car, and that's just not hard enough for them basically.

Daddy_Digital
05-09-2007, 01:16 PM

what? this is a performance car, a sports car, whatever u wanna call it. in order to get top performace, 91 is the way to go. and contrary to popular belief, what manufactuers say what kind of fuel should be used they are right.

He also worked at Earnhardt, and said that the most major problem people have with the RX-8 is that they drive them like they would any other car, and that's not how they are meant to be driven. He told me that have a 13k redline for a reason, and can see that daily with no problems.
So your friend is saying to drive it like u stole it? basically running the car into the ground, thus breaking the engine, getting speeding tickets just because the tach says 13k redline? any car on the road can be driven "regular". it would be stupid to buy a car and only drive the hell out of it anyways.

SpitFireMS
05-09-2007, 01:55 PM
i don't think he said run it at redline nonstop. but at least make sure it gets a workout daily.

all octane does is prevent engine knock. you can run your car on the lowest octane that keeps it from knocking, no matter what the manufacturer tells you... my car says run 91, but it can run lower just fine... that's called technology

91DA9
05-09-2007, 02:07 PM
So your friend is saying to drive it like u stole it? basically running the car into the ground, thus breaking the engine, getting speeding tickets just because the tach says 13k redline? any car on the road can be driven "regular". it would be stupid to buy a car and only drive the hell out of it anyways.[/QUOTE]

No, oh God of all Automotive Knowledge- What was meant by that instead of cruising around around at 2,000rpms, it is better for them if they're sitting at about 5 or 6,000 at the speed limit. Oh by the way, for those who apparently don't know(^^that guy), a rotary engine is not the same as a honda motor. They can take a lot more of a beating than any other factory motor. I'm speaking in terms of stock motors, so don't talk to me about anything modified.

Peteex
05-09-2007, 02:58 PM
I don't know where everyone is getting their stats, but from what I remember the stock redline on the RX-8 was 8 - 9000rpm. Not 13000. And yes you can run the engine on lesser grades of gasoline but the computer will more often then not pull timing to compensate... thats technology. According to Mazda the RX-8 is running at a 10:0:1 compression ratio, wich probably explains the recomended higher octance rating to achieve better power numbers safely under all driving conditions.

91DA9
05-09-2007, 03:17 PM
I was guestimating on the redline....Everything is from memory for me....

ZonaAltima
05-09-2007, 07:24 PM
get an imprezza instead....4 door, sporty looking and fast non turbo car...175hp with AWD....cant go wrong....test drove one

Best advise on here in a long time; true story. I would much rather have an Imprezza 2.5i (not to be confused with the Imprezza WRX) than the mazda rx-8. The Impreza 2.5i has 4 doors, rally inspired style, AWD, and the 2.5 liter flar four boxer engine that makes 175 hp. That plus Subaru is offering the Imprezza 2.5 i special edition, which looks sweet! Check it out! http://www.subaru.com/sub/misc/2007/impreza/index.html?model=25ISEDAN
http://www.subaru.com/sub/misc/2007/impreza/index.html?model=25ISEDAN

The Mazda rx-8 with its rotary engine is an interesting concept, but it is expensive to fix or for repairs. That plus the Mazda rx-8 makes between 159-164 lb of torque.
The Impreza will hold up longer, is more capable, offers more torque, has aftermarket support, and starts at 17,900, which is 7k cheaper than the rx-8, which starts at 25k. Plus AWD traction is great for freeways, powering out of corners, dirt, rain, snow, and going up north.

DuBy
08-07-2007, 11:40 AM
A few notes for the RX-8:

1. Drive it like you stole it.
2. Check the oil level about every other fill up.
3. Use 91 osctane or higher.
4. It gets shitty gas milage.
5. It has crappy torque and gets beat alot in the quarter mile.

(1)
The RX-8 has a top redline of 9k. You can rev it a little over 10k without problems (even though the tach doesn't go that high). Mazda nerf'd the redline from the factory to prevent rev happy drivers from getting to close to it's actual redline and to preserve longevity.

Rotorys are notorius for carbon buildup. The reason (as stated before) you want to redline it at least once a day is because at that RPM speed, the rotors start to break up and clean out the carbon. This helps to keep the rotor housings clean and help maintane the life of the engine. This was also another design change that mazda made over the previous generations of the wankel. The RENESIS is actualy more stable and more eff at higher RPMs than it is at low RPMs.

(2)
The RENESIS burns oil. Plain and simple. But not in a "i have a gasket leak and now my engine burns oil" sort of way. The RENESIS pre-injects oil into the combustion chamber to lube the apex seals and help maintane their longevity. It just another sacrifice one has to make for owning a rotory. However, some say that the amount of oil the engine injects isn't sufficient enough. Therefore most rotory owners have been known to use "premix", which is basicaly an additive that is mixed with the gas to help lube the apex seals a little bit better.

(3)
The RENSIS runs high compression and is a "rotory" engine :). This means that the rotors require that little extra combustion in order to complete the rotation cycle. These are not piston engines people. When mazda says to run 91 octane or higher, they say it for a reason. Sometimes I wish we could get 93 octane like I used to back on the east coast.

(4)
Yup! 18/21 according to factory specs. 16/19 is more realistic with most owners. Sports cars weren't meant to get good gas milage. If you wanted that, go buy a geo metro. Reference #1 talks about how it's more stab and eff at higher RPM's. The RENESIS actually get worse gas milage when it's idling then when it's at about 4k-5k RPMs.

(5)
Very true. The RENESIS' torque band doesn't really kick in till about 5k-6k. But it wasn't designed to be a quarter mile monster. It was designed to be a corner carver. It has nearly perfect 50/50 weight distrobution. And as long as you keep the RPMs in the upper zones, it can hold it's own with alot of other performance vehicles. Fact is, you trade quarter mile torque for corner carving performance. 232whp from a 1.3L N/A is nothing to luagh at. Ripping up a mountain road is more fun then spending 10-15 seconds on a straight road IMHO.

Just thought I would share my $.02 guys.

Zero
08-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Best advise on here in a long time; true story. I would much rather have an Imprezza 2.5i (not to be confused with the Imprezza WRX) than the mazda rx-8. The Impreza 2.5i has 4 doors, rally inspired style, AWD, and the 2.5 liter flar four boxer engine that makes 175 hp. That plus Subaru is offering the Imprezza 2.5 i special edition, which looks sweet! Check it out! http://www.subaru.com/sub/misc/2007/impreza/index.html?model=25ISEDAN
http://www.subaru.com/sub/misc/2007/impreza/index.html?model=25ISEDAN

The Mazda rx-8 with its rotary engine is an interesting concept, but it is expensive to fix or for repairs. That plus the Mazda rx-8 makes between 159-164 lb of torque.
The Impreza will hold up longer, is more capable, offers more torque, has aftermarket support, and starts at 17,900, which is 7k cheaper than the rx-8, which starts at 25k. Plus AWD traction is great for freeways, powering out of corners, dirt, rain, snow, and going up north.

so true....rx8's are over rated and not worth the 25k they sell for.....

I Hate Import Cars
08-07-2007, 12:16 PM
they have sweet long rod stroker kits for them I hear. ;)

mooshin
08-07-2007, 12:40 PM
I owned a Mazda 3 5/door and my boss bought a RX8 the same year. I don't think either of us would recommend them over a Honda. The 3 was ok, but he never had anything good to say about the 8 when I talked to him. Seemed like it was always in the shop too.

azsol
08-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Like stated before, this guy is not really 'into' cars, just wanted to look good and get around in something 'sporty'. He came to me for advice. Thanks for all the info, he's actually already purchased the 8 and loves it, so far.

Thanks all!!

sssmokin05si
08-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Here's my input. Just had a co-worker buy one with 1900 miles on it. It is the "Shinka" edition which I guess is a higher performance model? Not sure. Anyways...I love the seats, and gauge/dash setup at night time.

Dislikes however, far outweigh.
Not very fast, he said my mom's 350z feels quicker when I took him for a ride. Backseat is useless when there's anyone with legs in the front. Burns oil like it's going out of style. And wayyyy to expensive for what they are.

But hey, just my input. To each their own.

sssmokin05si
08-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Like stated before, this guy is not really 'into' cars, just wanted to look good and get around in something 'sporty'. He came to me for advice. Thanks for all the info, he's actually already purchased the 8 and loves it, so far.

Thanks all!!

Glad he is enjoying it! I would have opted for the G35 coupe or something.

azsol
08-08-2007, 11:41 AM

Same here, so many other options to buy/build with that kind of cash.

DuBy
08-08-2007, 02:25 PM
It is the "Shinka" edition which I guess is a higher performance model?

Not really. Just a speacial addition color some badgeing in the b-pillar and stiffer suspension from what I remember. Mazda has yet to come out with a speacial edition of the RX-8 that has increased performance...............lame :(.

Originally Posted by sssmokin05si

Same here, so many other options to buy/build with that kind of cash

That used to be my dream car. And I still wouldn't mind haveing one. But after test driving it and seeing the interior in person............I don't know. The guage cluster just looks so "plain". Actualy, the whole interior just isn't up to par with the rest of the vehicle :(.