PDA

View Full Version : B20 with boost

thorbecke
05-09-2007, 07:52 PM
I have heard a lot of bad things about the B20 having any kind of boost, now I plan to buy a complete hange over to a B20(8.8)/ GSR tranny/ T03/T04e 10-11lbs. of boost into my 1998 Civic CX. I hear some people say it will fuck up and blow the motor, even some people say a B16 would be a better set up. Now I want 325+ whp and call it a day, but I just don't want to break the bank and get a GSR motor.

onefst91hatch
05-10-2007, 08:11 AM
if you spend the money on a good tune your engine will be fine. but on 10-11 psi its not gonna make 325 whp. well i mean its possible but i doubt it. B20B is only 8.8:1 compression. i have seen stock B18cR's hold 15 psi with no problems and they are 11.32:1. so the lil difference in the cylinder wall thickness should not a big issue if your resonable with what you are going for. just dont try to get to crazy with a stock block. and dont forget to do your fuel system and get a good tune!!!!

thorbecke
05-10-2007, 09:41 AM
My plan is to buy a stock 8.8 B20 non vtec either a full race turbo (ac stage 1) or a peak boost turbo kit (B-series turbo) any wear from 550cc-580cc injectors, walbro fuel pump, and either hondata or neptune ecu. Now I am open to sujjestions as far as port polish/angle cuts to the head and maybe new cams but I would like to keep it simple. Any thing around 300 whp will work for me

onefst91hatch
05-10-2007, 12:21 PM
My plan is to buy a stock 8.8 B20 non vtec either a full race turbo (ac stage 1) or a peak boost turbo kit (B-series turbo) any wear from 550cc-580cc injectors, walbro fuel pump, and either hondata or neptune ecu. Now I am open to sujjestions as far as port polish/angle cuts to the head and maybe new cams but I would like to keep it simple. Any thing around 300 whp will work for me

a mild port and polish with some good valves and springs, nothing outrageous, on the B20 block. and i suggest using a B16 (PR3) head for compression reasons. on about 7-9 psi with a good tune you should be able to make around 300 with no problem. and as for cams i would just go with ITR's. but thats all up to you really

J2daM
07-05-2007, 04:16 AM
dude the best b-series motor to boost is the crv b20... simply because low compression motors are a lot better for boost... b20 is the lowest compression b-series out there, and its great displacement for ur cx, and pretty torquey.... good choice on a b20 boosted...

18c
07-05-2007, 05:02 AM
i dunno ive always been under the impression that b20 blocks had pretty weak sleeves similiar to h22's but im not really to sure. Compression does play a small part, but i think a good tune is more important than actual compression at that boost level and i think a vtec engine will be better. i dont think lower compression is better for boosting, i think its better to prevent detonation, but there are numerous examples out there of b16s and gsrs running stock block with a good tune and not getting detonation. having a low compression is not the solve all to boost. Honestly a lot of people talk shit about b16 turbos pointing out their lack of torque, but i think they are pretty good setups.

J2daM
07-05-2007, 04:35 PM
i dunno ive always been under the impression that b20 blocks had pretty weak sleeves similiar to h22's but im not really to sure. Compression does play a small part, but i think a good tune is more important than actual compression at that boost level and i think a vtec engine will be better. i dont think lower compression is better for boosting, i think its better to prevent detonation, but there are numerous examples out there of b16s and gsrs running stock block with a good tune and not getting detonation. having a low compression is not the solve all to boost. Honestly a lot of people talk shit about b16 turbos pointing out their lack of torque, but i think they are pretty good setups.
good setup with the b16s, i personally like them a little more the gsr... and the ctr more than the itr... but the ctr for instance.. has massive compression, life of the motor isnt gonna be long if ur boosting anything over 6psi... u'd have to replace pistons, rods, rings, etc... i feel if ur gonna be doin any tunning for better performance ona boosted motor... b20 is not a bad way to go... cheaper, less compression, and they're hella torquey... Not bringing down the b16's or b18's, but i think they are better compression beast, and should be all motor with maybe a shot of nitrous... thats jus me tho.

BigBlockCrx
07-05-2007, 11:27 PM
The b20 walls are 2 mm thinner I believe but I agree with onefst91hatch, you can do it safely.

onefst91hatch
07-05-2007, 11:29 PM
The b20 walls are 2 mm thinner I believe but I agree with onefst91hatch, you can do it safely.

X2. i had a stock B20 on 10 psi and it wasnt tuned. i had DSM injectors and an FMU and it worked just fine.

J2daM
07-06-2007, 01:08 AM
X2. i had a stock B20 on 10 psi and it wasnt tuned. i had DSM injectors and an FMU and it worked just fine.

Agree X3

<3bane
07-06-2007, 01:31 AM

for how long? running a fmu is the quickest way to destroy your motor, especially at 10 psi. engines need ignition timing under boost for a reason, what did you do, eye ball your distributor?

as far as cams go, any good cam (even turbo cams which is the only cam you should buy because most after market cams designed for n/a benefit from valve overlap which is boosts enemy) is going to make the most power at a very high rpm when compared to the sub 8k rpm a b20's sleeves and rods can handle. b20's are notorious for having very thin sleeves and not doing well under boost or nitrous. high revs+boost=a blown up b20.

moral is, buy an ls and make the same horsepower with minimal torque losses over a b20 and have it last 10x's as long.

<3bane
07-06-2007, 01:33 AM
good setup with the b16s, i personally like them a little more the gsr... and the ctr more than the itr... but the ctr for instance.. has massive compression, life of the motor isnt gonna be long if ur boosting anything over 6psi... u'd have to replace pistons, rods, rings, etc... i feel if ur gonna be doin any tunning for better performance ona boosted motor... b20 is not a bad way to go... cheaper, less compression, and they're hella torquey... Not bringing down the b16's or b18's, but i think they are better compression beast, and should be all motor with maybe a shot of nitrous... thats jus me tho.

a b20 with stock internals and stock sleeves is a horrible choice for boost.

onefst91hatch
07-06-2007, 01:34 AM
mine lasted for along time. and i had an AEM wideband so i always new i was runing fine. i had DSM 450's and a 12:1 adjustable fmu kept the a/f ratio at about 12.5

18c
07-06-2007, 06:07 AM
werent the rod bolts in ls and b20's pretty weak? it was either that or all the b series, but i dont remember, i guess b16s and gsrs should be stronger since they rev higher.... I guess you can really find examples of any engine working to an extent. Personally i like b16's a lot. They are cheap as hell and make 100hp per liter :P pretty pimp stuff right there. If you have an ls tranny however i would urge a b18a/b, i think thicker sleeves outweight the benefits of .2 litres, but then again if you have any kind of detonation both sleeves may crack anyway, but thats my opinion.

J2daM
07-06-2007, 01:46 PM

ive seen way too many to agree with u there man... from experience, ive seen two ls motors boosting, and both are no longer running... like five b16's boosting, but got walked on all day by other hondas N/A... and ive seen i believe 3 b2o complete block and head boosting... and only one has failed, but the actually turbo froze, the block was fine... so sorry bro, im disagreeing with u...

<3bane
07-06-2007, 02:10 PM
ive seen way too many to agree with u there man... from experience, ive seen two ls motors boosting, and both are no longer running... like five b16's boosting, but got walked on all day by other hondas N/A... and ive seen i believe 3 b2o complete block and head boosting... and only one has failed, but the actually turbo froze, the block was fine... so sorry bro, im disagreeing with u...

lol.

BigBlockCrx
07-06-2007, 02:51 PM

Hey were only saying its possible to run a safe turbo setup on it, not that its the best motor out there.

J2daM
07-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Hey were only saying its possible to run a safe turbo setup on it, not that its the best motor out there.

x2

allmotorgsr
07-08-2007, 12:12 AM
yes..... u can boost on a b20.
no..... it is not optimal for acheiving reliable power.

18c
07-08-2007, 03:22 AM
yes..... u can boost on a b20.
no..... it is not optimal for acheiving reliable power.
I agree! just to play devils advocate ive seen numerous b16as and gsrs boosting with no problems and a few ls and b20 builds fail. I think the quality and time into builds plays a lot of the difference between the ones that last and the ones that dont, more so then the actual engine here. But ive seen b16s and gsrs blow as well so really who hasnt seen a b16 or gsr or ls or b20 work or fail with boost. Like i said, on stock sleeves I THINK the sleeves would probably crack on any B series with some detonation.

allmotorgsr
07-09-2007, 08:54 PM
I agree! just to play devils advocate ive seen numerous b16as and gsrs boosting with no problems and a few ls and b20 builds fail. I think the quality and time into builds plays a lot of the difference between the ones that last and the ones that dont, more so then the actual engine here. But ive seen b16s and gsrs blow as well so really who hasnt seen a b16 or gsr or ls or b20 work or fail with boost. Like i said, on stock sleeves I THINK the sleeves would probably crack on any B series with some detonation.

cracked sleeves can happen for a number of reasons under boost.
its no good when ur sleeves are the weak link in ur motor. just my .02

b20forlife
07-12-2007, 07:13 PM
i had a stock b20 block wit a b16 head that had skunk 2 stage 2 and valve train cams and reved it to 8700 on a 50 shot of nitreous. The block was bone stock. and it lasted me 1 year before i sold to my friend. And my friend still has it runing like a chap after 2 years wit out having to do anything except change the exedy 3 puck clutch cause it was to rough for him.
plus check this video out. stock b20 wit boost, and an ebay turbo kit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DZjFHAj0QQ

*inFamous*
07-12-2007, 07:17 PM
God there is so much misinformation on this thread its sickening!!!

If your interested in boosting a B20 come out to a meet and i'll explain in detail the pro's and cons of it.

Thank you to those who DID post correct and PROVEN information.

allmotorgsr
07-12-2007, 08:47 PM
if i stated or ever state anything thats incorrect... please correct me.
im really just on this website to learn as much as i can. Thnx:blunt:

GNU
07-20-2007, 01:08 AM
people take that weak sleeve issue a little to far, yes there sleeves are thinner, how far do you want to push a stock block anyways? Tuning is key, detonation will always win no matter what the bore or sleeve thickness. ive seen alot of b20's with just the stock head making mad amounts of torque usually on par with horsepower.

midnightsdawn89
07-25-2007, 10:36 PM
a b20 block will hold as much boost as a B16 or a GSr it is all in the TUne that Really matters...........