PDA

View Full Version : shifter vs exhaust... the battle continues

Tweeder
05-10-2007, 03:52 PM
ok so I swaped a b18 in my eg a couple of months ago and everything was cool. but lately my shifter has been fighting with my exhause piping and I don't know why. it rattle alot and sometimes it can be a bitch to get it into 5th and Reverse. I have a short shifter and 2.5inch exhaust piping.

Anyone know how I can fix this without getting new piping?

(ps... it was my first swap so I'm not sure it I did something wrong or missed a step)

joel602
05-10-2007, 04:44 PM
ok so I swaped a b18 in my eg a couple of months ago and everything was cool. but lately my shifter has been fighting with my exhause piping and I don't know why. it rattle alot and sometimes it can be a bitch to get it into 5th and Reverse. I have a short shifter and 2.5inch exhaust piping.

Anyone know how I can fix this without getting new piping?

(ps... it was my first swap so I'm not sure it I did something wrong or missed a step)

for some reason my shit only does it when im driving in the rain.... I dnt fucken understand it... make sure you tightend the bolts all the way when you installed the short shifter

YewllowDA
05-10-2007, 05:35 PM
the length of the shifter from the ball to the bottom is longer thus requiring less movement to shift. i got to take my heatshields off coz the shifter is hitting but not the exhaust.... check underneath the car if you still have the heatshield? its prolly the one that causes the rattle and shift problems?

cashflow
05-10-2007, 09:51 PM
same problem my exhaust got hot and melted the lil rubber thing so i got to fix it :(

babyrex22
05-11-2007, 09:26 AM
the length of the shifter from the ball to the bottom is longer thus requiring less movement to shift. i got to take my heatshields off coz the shifter is hitting but not the exhaust.... check underneath the car if you still have the heatshield? its prolly the one that causes the rattle and shift problems?

x2
its probably rubbing the heat shield
i had the same problem
i just took offf the heat shield from under the car
just the one that i thought was rubbin and that did the trick gl

onefst91hatch
05-11-2007, 05:09 PM
if its not rubbing the heat shield then you could do 1 of 3 things.
1, lengthen you exhaust hangers a lil so the exhaust will hang just a tad lower.

2, take a hammer and dent the exhaust pipe just a lil so the shifter wont hit it.

3, put your stick shifter back on!

Tweeder
05-11-2007, 06:44 PM
if its not rubbing the heat shield then you could do 1 of 3 things.
1, lengthen you exhaust hangers a lil so the exhaust will hang just a tad lower.

2, take a hammer and dent the exhaust pipe just a lil so the shifter wont hit it.

3, put your stick shifter back on!

thats what I was thinkin I was gonna have to do .... except #2, thats seems a little violent

onefst91hatch
05-13-2007, 02:15 PM
thats what I was thinkin I was gonna have to do .... except #2, thats seems a little violent

lol if worse comes to worse thats your only option. or get a new exhaust! lol

LiLinsane
05-13-2007, 02:18 PM
put the car on a lift and have somebody shift around, you can see where it will hit, my shifter isn't hitting, however the weight for the linkage hits, i can bend it and move it a little, and it clears.

Another thing is, in my car the shifter comes down into the linkage, but i dont have bushings on the sides of the shifter. That will also change the position of that damn weight.

I think if i put some kind of bushings in there, it will stop hitting.

Tweeder
05-14-2007, 12:36 AM
put the car on a lift and have somebody shift around, you can see where it will hit, my shifter isn't hitting, however the weight for the linkage hits, i can bend it and move it a little, and it clears.

Another thing is, in my car the shifter comes down into the linkage, but i dont have bushings on the sides of the shifter. That will also change the position of that damn weight.

I think if i put some kind of bushings in there, it will stop hitting.

Yeah dude My shifter weight is hitting the exhaust too.

But I finally got under the car and found out what happened. My whole shifter went over the hangers and that is what was giving me the big problem was.

plus the heat sheild is knocking where the exhaust does the S bend