PDA

View Full Version : Over heating problem

Bodykit
05-14-2007, 02:29 PM
Ok so the other day i noticed i was over heating but only when i was parked and the car was running, so i looked and one of my hoses from my firewall had a hole and was squirting anti freeze out, so i cut the hose by the hole and clamped it back on, filled it back up but it still got hot, so i drive home on the freeway and it stays below half? i get home and sit with it running and it gets hot, so i add more until its full and its fine now it does it again and my overflow is now empty any ideas?

Chiodos
05-14-2007, 02:30 PM
is your fan not working?

tegmister
05-14-2007, 02:42 PM
ya, no fan is no bueno.

fan does a lottttt

Type - O
05-14-2007, 02:44 PM
make sure your fan is coming on. it should come on when your heat guage start reach past the middle

onefst91hatch
05-14-2007, 02:48 PM
is your fan not working?

X2

Bodykit
05-14-2007, 02:51 PM
The fan works, i cant hear it when im drivin but when i turn the car off then just to the on position it turns on. i thought i smelt anti freeze while driving but dont see no leaks or anythin on the ground. And my over flow was completely empty already when i checked today. this all started happening when i got the hole in my hose.

Type - O
05-14-2007, 02:54 PM
what about your thermostat? probably not but had to ask

Bodykit
05-14-2007, 03:02 PM
what about your thermostat? probably not but had to ask

i dunno how to check that or where it is on a b series motor

b'seriespower
05-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Hmmm I can prolly can help you man I'll see if I can get over there or you can come to my house also.

Bodykit
05-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Hmmm I can prolly can help you man I'll see if I can get over there or you can come to my house also.

Im at aarikas but ill be home tomorrow after work if u wanna stop by then?

Bodykit
05-14-2007, 03:08 PM
I also noticed that my car idle's up and down up and down or just idle's higher than normal if that helps.

b'seriespower
05-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Im at aarikas but ill be home tomorrow after work if u wanna stop by then?
ok I'll see what i can do

Bodykit
05-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Ok thx richard... ok well i waited for the car to cool down so i can open the radiator, i opened it and it was full so since the over flow was bone dry i put more in it till it was between full and low. started it and let it run for ten mins and it didnt get hot it just idle'd up and down between 1000 and 1500 rpm's, could an empty over flow cause it to get hot when im just sitting there with the car on and not when im driving, and i never had these idle problems either

topramn
05-14-2007, 04:23 PM
idle problem sounds like vacuum leak.. i thought you had everything fixed on saturday?

Type - O
05-14-2007, 04:39 PM
no it cant. overflow is simply for when the coolant heats up it expands and has somewhere to go so your cooling system doesnt explode. when the coolant cools down it creats a sucking effect and sucks up the overflowed coolant

Bodykit
05-14-2007, 05:19 PM
idle problem sounds like vacuum leak.. i thought you had everything fixed on saturday?

Ya i thought i did, then it did it again today, u dont think it could be head gasket do u since i dunno where my fluid is going.

YewllowDA
05-14-2007, 06:20 PM
if tis going to the head then you should be seeing white smoke.
high idle could also cause overheating when your at a stop.. do you have A/C?

Bodykit
05-14-2007, 06:27 PM
if tis going to the head then you should be seeing white smoke.
high idle could also cause overheating when your at a stop.. do you have A/C?

ya thats the only time it overheats is when im at a stop and the car idles funny...and after cooling down for an hour, i went out, and opened the radiator and it was fine and so was the over flow, i started the car and as soon as it got to normal temp it idled where it normally does and im like wft??? so gave it gas went back to normal, let it run for ten or so mins, and was normal.

YewllowDA
05-14-2007, 06:33 PM
yeah thats weird. does the fan run also when you shut it off? mine does it for like a while after i take the key off. i guess its really hot outside...

Bodykit
05-14-2007, 06:35 PM
yeah thats weird. does the fan run also when you shut it off? mine does it for like a while after i take the key off. i guess its really hot outside...

ya i dunno dude its weird and i dont like it!!! lol...well dunno about when i take the key out but if i turn the car off and put the key in the on position the fan runs for a bit.

IntegraDA
05-14-2007, 08:54 PM
The idle fluctuating like that is usually caused by the idle air control valve (IACV) or the fast idle thermal valve (FITV). I have had similar problems. This usually happens when the coolant temp is hotter than usual, especially if the fitv and iacv have alot of arizona wear and tear on 'em. if you are still having problems with the idle, pm me and i could explain how to test the two of them. gl man!

rushbuster70
05-15-2007, 12:58 PM
i had a blown head gasket and didnt blow smoke...d17 though

RHDDonnieee
05-15-2007, 01:03 PM
brandon .. u blew a head gasket homie! welcome to my world !!!! ahhahahaa

WhiTeBoY
05-15-2007, 01:11 PM
is your fan blowing or suckin?> thats what was wrong with my shit!

Mafioso
05-15-2007, 01:20 PM
sounds like you have air in your coolant system.. air hits and the car gets HOT.. doesnt do it all the time because its only when the air hits

Bodykit
05-15-2007, 02:28 PM
How do i get the air out? and i think its my radiator cap! i came home and seen coolant on top of the radiator, i pushed down a little on one side of the cap and shit squirted out! thats probably why my over flow keeps gettin empty and my radiator looses some, possibility?

Type - O
05-15-2007, 02:31 PM
go get a new cap then. there like 10 bucks. to get air out i let the car run with the cap open, fill the overflow, let it boil over a bit, then put the cap back on. works everytime for me

gustoweg4
05-15-2007, 02:53 PM
to let the air bubbles out of the system turn the car on and let the heater run as your filling the radiator up....i had the same problem in my coupe i did that and it stop giving me problems...