PDA

View Full Version : EPSN: "OUTSIDE THE LINES" pregnancy

teemfedx
05-15-2007, 03:49 PM
i was watching the show and they aired a segment on female college athletes on athletic scholarships losing their money because they got pregnant. they (and their lawyers) claim that this is discrimination.

link to homepage for "Outside The Lines" segment on said issue. (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/index)

this really got me thinking, i pay like +16k a year to go to ASU and i have no scholarship. if their not playing sports (which is what their getting paid to do) why should they get to go to school for free?

i know that if a guy athlete is injured (and cant play) he still gets a scholarship cause thats part of the deal. but a woman knowingly partook in sexual activity that led to her pregnancy. on the segment they showed the contracts that the females athletes signed to recieve the money for school. it has clauses for immediate dismissal and retraction of funds which include DUI, Felony Convictions, and Pregnancy...

the lawyers were claiming it was title 9 problems but im really on the edge on this. i see that they need help now that they are about to have a kid, but why is its the schools responsibility to pay for their actions?

discuss

sssmokin05si
05-15-2007, 03:53 PM
They aren't doing what they were given the scholarship for, so boot them!

On another note, this happened to 2 girls I went to high school with.

gcboy90
05-15-2007, 03:55 PM
honestly, they chose to sign a contract saying they cant get pregnant
injuries can be prevented, but they are also part of the game, but if a woman gets pregnant, its definitely not part of the game
also, if a male player were to get injured on a motorcycle or sometimes a car crash, they lose the scholarship also... so, big deal... women need to be responsible for their actions, yes its great that they earned the scholarship, doesnt mean its ENTIRELY a free ride... still gotta keep earning it.... thats my 2 cents tho

but fedex, r u from outta state?

cuz man, thats a BIGGER ISSUE, its like 6k on average for instate tuition...

DJ NeX
05-15-2007, 06:53 PM
The clause doesn't violate Title 9. I've done quite a bit of research on the subject, and oddly enough Title 9 doesn't even address discrimination by sexual orientation. So I seriously doubt it'll have anything to do with pregnancy.

JDMitation
05-15-2007, 07:03 PM
dont fucking sign shit if you aren't willing to abide by it.

people are so fucking stupid.

what kinda dumb broad gets knocked up in college anyways?

gcboy90
05-15-2007, 07:09 PM
ummm every broad in college?

JDMitation
05-15-2007, 07:09 PM
ummm every broad in college?

:clap:

DJ NeX
05-15-2007, 07:10 PM
I also don't see how Title 9 applies to scholarships as scholarships are not available to EVERYONE. They are exclusive, so by definition they discriminate.

LMAO @ GCBOY

rushbuster70
05-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Yea had a friend that this happened too.She lost her scholarship.To bad cause she was awesome in track.