PDA

View Full Version : Short shifters?

Imp4ct_Blu3
05-15-2007, 05:02 PM
I bought a short shifter for my 93 honda civic coupe and at 1st i was excited to put it it :) but...after talking with a couple ppl they mentioned short shifters really fuck with the rest of the tranny so im wondering if any 1 can recommend wether i should put it in or not

onefst91hatch
05-15-2007, 05:04 PM
a shirther cannot hurt your transmission. but it will be different when shifting and thats usually how trannys get meesed up. what kinda shifter is it? i happen to love my short shifter and it has nver given me any problems. i have had them in all of my cars and love em!! its just other peoples opinions. some people like them and some people dont!

*inFamous*
05-15-2007, 05:04 PM
The SS wont affect the tranny, your driving STYLE will affect the tranny.

If you shift properly with the clutch fully disengaged and a smooth shift, you'll have no issues. I have had a SS on my GSR transmission since i owned the car pretty much and never have had an issue but i also dont 'ricky racer' shift....

If you like to slam gears, you'll probably nuke your transmission with a SS :)

onefst91hatch
05-15-2007, 05:07 PM
The SS wont affect the tranny, your driving STYLE will affect the tranny.

If you shift properly with the clutch fully disengaged and a smooth shift, you'll have no issues. I have had a SS on my GSR transmission since i owned the car pretty much and never have had an issue but i also dont 'ricky racer' shift....

If you like to slam gears, you'll probably nuke your transmission with a SS :)

X2. thats what i was trying to say. you just put it in better words!! lol

Type - O
05-15-2007, 05:07 PM
i had an ebay special shifter for a few months. never gave me an issues ever

StateOfMind
05-15-2007, 06:44 PM
SS will not mess up your trans, you not using the shifter correctly however will.

Tweeder
05-15-2007, 07:44 PM
i had an ebay special shifter for a few months. never gave me an issues ever

yeah I had one for a while too..... It did a nice job

I ALWAYS put SS in my cars and I have NEVER had a tranny problem

...... just do

Imp4ct_Blu3
05-16-2007, 02:17 PM
Alrite so what your saying is... sure the shifter wont do anything just if i drive and shift sloppy thats when ill have issues? Btw it was just a cheap-o ebay 1 i didnt think it would matter.

*inFamous*
05-16-2007, 02:43 PM
if u know how to drive your car and operate a manual gearbox you wont have any problems. if you drive like an asshat and think shifting your car like a go cart is cool, u'll nuke your honda transmission before you can blink!

YewllowDA
05-16-2007, 03:05 PM
its because your left foot isn't keeping up with your right hand.

die in a dick fire noob
05-16-2007, 06:04 PM
what exactly does shifting like it's a go kart entail?

onefst91hatch
05-16-2007, 06:08 PM
what exactly does shifting like it's a go kart entail?

slaming gears im guessing

Imp4ct_Blu3
05-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Oh so thats "Ricky Racer" style then? and what are the benefits of a short shifter? i know itll make me shift faster but how exactly?

YuckerDisMe
05-16-2007, 08:45 PM
i have a ss on my car and i love it, no problems yet...

onefst91hatch
05-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Oh so thats "Ricky Racer" style then? and what are the benefits of a short shifter? i know itll make me shift faster but how exactly?

because you have to move your arm less then you would with a stock one. but that doesnt mean that you need to try and rip it iff everytime you shift. you can shift fast just dont try and be the fastest shifter in the world!

DJ NeX
05-17-2007, 09:51 AM
I had a short shifter once. Damn thing broken in half with the threads still in the shift knob. OEM GSR shifter for me nowadays.

Chiodos
05-17-2007, 10:08 AM
have one and love it.... no probs!!

cibola
05-17-2007, 10:16 AM
I have to disagree with the previous couple of posts. If you have not had any problems with your transmission from installing a short shifter you are lucky.

The short shifter puts additional stress upon the syncros in 3rd and 4th gear. The stock throw allows the syncros to engage the gear, the short throw shifts faster than the transmission can allow. The shorter throw leaves less room for error when shifting as well.

I may be a bad test case for the cause and effect argument. I road race and have had no issues with the stock shifter but after using a SS for about 20 races I created a 3rd gear grind. Currently I am going to the opposite end of the spectrum and installing a Fastline shifter. Hopefully allowing me to increase shift speed without the additional stresses being applied to the syncros.

If you want to baby your transmission why not just keep the stock shifter? Most people install a short shifter because they want to be able to go through the gears faster. Cause and effect; you install a SS wanting to shift your car faster, effect you shift faster creating a syncro problem.

*inFamous*
05-17-2007, 10:40 AM
I have to disagree with the previous couple of posts. If you have not had any problems with your transmission from installing a short shifter you are lucky.

The short shifter puts additional stress upon the syncros in 3rd and 4th gear. The stock throw allows the syncros to engage the gear, the short throw shifts faster than the transmission can allow. The shorter throw leaves less room for error when shifting as well.

I may be a bad test case for the cause and effect argument. I road race and have had no issues with the stock shifter but after using a SS for about 20 races I created a 3rd gear grind. Currently I am going to the opposite end of the spectrum and installing a Fastline shifter. Hopefully allowing me to increase shift speed without the additional stresses being applied to the syncros.

If you want to baby your transmission why not just keep the stock shifter? Most people install a short shifter because they want to be able to go through the gears faster. Cause and effect; you install a SS wanting to shift your car faster, effect you shift faster creating a syncro problem.

SS shifters on hondas do not change the throw from the pivot to the joint. The throw is the same, the leverage that must be applied at the knob is greater than before but is applied over a shorter distance.

A SS shifter requires the SAME amount of force to shift gears as a regular. It just requires more force over a shorter distance.

:)

YewllowDA
05-17-2007, 11:00 AM
agreed. cibola's comment will apply more for those RWD trannies that have internal linkage

*inFamous*
05-17-2007, 11:01 AM
agreed. cibola's comment will apply more for those RWD trannies that have direct linkage.

Correct.

YewllowDA
05-17-2007, 11:06 AM
its because your left foot isn't keeping up with your right hand.
again. based on my experience, this is why i keep grinding gears(hurting the synchros) when i first switch to SS. well i move my hands faster now but buy clutch foot is slow because its used to my slow arm before. yeah i know its hard to explain.

i even learn how to shift without using clutch sometimes. hehe.:0

Imp4ct_Blu3
05-17-2007, 12:36 PM
How do u shift without using the cluth? O_o ok ill put the SS in im just worried itll completely change the way my car feels and ill have to learn to drive it all over again which wont be a problem i think ill try my best to refine my driving and shifting to accomodate the less area for error....but by the sounds of it,a SS really doesnt do much huh? I suppose itll just make me shift a bit more accurately

*inFamous*
05-17-2007, 09:20 PM
u can shift your car without a clutch if the syncros are aligned. happens around 3500rpm's on most honda transmissions ;)

I quite frequently shift without a clutch lol.

gcboy90
05-17-2007, 09:36 PM
yea "speed shifting" or "power shifting" is wut ive always called it.... 3500 sounds about right

*inFamous*
05-17-2007, 10:40 PM
i call it slow n easy shifting as it happens so low in a hondas powerband that its slow n gentle ;)

YewllowDA
05-17-2007, 10:56 PM
How do u shift without using the cluth? O_o ok ill put the SS in im just worried itll completely change the way my car feels and ill have to learn to drive it all over again which wont be a problem i think ill try my best to refine my driving and shifting to accomodate the less area for error....but by the sounds of it,a SS really doesnt do much huh? I suppose itll just make me shift a bit more accurately

you need perfect timing.....
you need to know rpm of any vehicle speed for every gear.

Imp4ct_Blu3
05-18-2007, 12:31 PM
I quite frequently shift without a clutch lol.

Is that....good? oh and quick question...."Engine Braking" i frequently engine brake when i need to adjust my speed but still stay in the correct rpm range...through frequent use does it hurt your engine? Ive asked ppl if it causes any damage but all i heard was it just uses a lil bit of gasoline True? False?

YewllowDA
05-18-2007, 08:47 PM
not really coz when decelereating your not using that much fuel nor it doesn't shut down the injectors, let's say your still using fuel to keep it alive at idle..

*inFamous*
05-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Is that....good? oh and quick question...."Engine Braking" i frequently engine brake when i need to adjust my speed but still stay in the correct rpm range...through frequent use does it hurt your engine? Ive asked ppl if it causes any damage but all i heard was it just uses a lil bit of gasoline True? False?

doesn't hurt a thing if u can do it properly.

engine braking done properly will just consume a little fuel and but done properly, no ill effects.

azianretard
05-18-2007, 11:18 PM
I bought a short shifter for my 93 honda civic coupe and at 1st i was excited to put it it :) but...after talking with a couple ppl they mentioned short shifters really fuck with the rest of the tranny so im wondering if any 1 can recommend wether i should put it in or not

yeah i think my tranny is fuked, i installed a dcsport short shifter and i dont think i shift like a maniac, but everytime i wud be in 1st gear goin from a stationary position, the car wud insanely studder between 0-2500 rpm, and i notice its a bit harder to shift from gear to gear! it might be the tranny fluid, idk. and i notice its making a "thump" sound whenever i shift!