PDA

View Full Version : designated hitter?

teemfedx
05-20-2007, 07:06 PM
im not sure how many follow baseball on the boards...i hate the DH cause i like to see the pitch squirm at the plate. i was just reading MLB.com and they had an article saying that because the all-star game is going to be in a national league park (no DH) and alot of deserving players will be left of the ballot........WTF?........

they do nothing by swing a bat, they better be good at what they do, they dont deserve an award for that....

if anybody cares, do post your thoughts on this issue.

ILIKETODRIVE
05-20-2007, 07:09 PM
I don't like the DH rule BUT I do like that the leagues have that one major difference.

I thought the All-Star Game had DH's no matter where it was? Pitchers are 99% of the time in the All-Star Game because of what they do on the mound, not in the batters box.

rushbuster70
05-20-2007, 07:46 PM
i like the dh rule...it helps peoples career...like giambi...he can just go out and bat and not have to field.definitely can help prolong his career

Neebs
05-20-2007, 08:06 PM
I don't mind it.

stockls tadd
05-20-2007, 08:33 PM
i think it's good and bad, the pitchers only pitch instead of concentrating on every aspect of the game therefore bringing out better pitching. on the other hand, good hitting pitchers are always fun to watch.

1 point 6
05-20-2007, 09:06 PM
i dont think pitchers should have to hit. i like the DH rule.

shawnRs914
05-20-2007, 09:39 PM
pitchers are pitchers..... i dont want to watch a pitcher try to swing the bat I'd much rather watch Giambi or Ortiz swing the bat...

HEADSHOT
05-21-2007, 09:08 AM
pitchers are pitchers..... i dont want to watch a pitcher try to swing the bat I'd much rather watch Giambi or Ortiz swing the bat...

theres no reason that a pitcher should be able to get a base hit everytime. just putting the bat on the ball is a line drive. and what about catchers? they move the most of any player on the field. id think they would need a deignated hitter

shawnRs914
05-21-2007, 11:00 AM
if it was that easy to just put the bat to the ball... pitchers pretty much control the game so let them do their job and pitch..

this is something that'll never end dh or no dh...

HEADSHOT
05-21-2007, 01:49 PM
the only reason pitchers cant hit is cuz they dont practice hitting, ive played baseball all my life. and the best pitchers on my team were always the best batters. cause the practiced hitting as well.

ILIKETODRIVE
05-21-2007, 02:32 PM
the only reason pitchers cant hit is cuz they dont practice hitting, ive played baseball all my life. and the best pitchers on my team were always the best batters. cause the practiced hitting as well.

The problem is, professional pitchers don't have a hitting regiment in their workout for a reason: it takes away time from what they make their money doing, which is pitching.

HEADSHOT
05-21-2007, 04:45 PM
but why are they different then any other position on the field? catcher for instance has to be on top of the game ever second. if pitchers put just a little hitting practice in there game they could at least get base hits. then you wouldnt need the dh rule.

its like that rule you are only as strong as your weakest player... but the AL is like.... that saying is BS lets make a rule to have our pitchers sit. :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

ILIKETODRIVE
05-21-2007, 06:30 PM
There's no reason for a pitcher to worry that much about hitting because there are 8 other guys in the lineup to do that. Sure, it's nice to have a pitcher that can get a hit (Zambrano, Marquis, Maddox, Wood, Hampton, Glavine, etc) but there is no need for them to focus on it. The pitcher has more to worry about each game than any other position.

There is a lot of strategy that goes into the pitchers spot in the lineup as well. The double-switch is an effective way to move the pitchers spot around and avoid having to have a pitcher be up in a situation that you need a hit later in the game. Just the same, having a pitcher up in a bunting situation to move runners up is a bonus. You know he's not going to drive in runs, so let him sacrifice bunt, move the runners over, and let the people who get paid to hit drive them in.

If the AL didn't have the DH rule, what would be the point of having two different leagues? What would be the defining factor of each league?

HEADSHOT
05-21-2007, 06:35 PM
all im saying is there is no reason a pitcher shouldnt be able to do damge at the plate. thats all

ILIKETODRIVE
05-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Than all I'm saying is that's easier said than done. :tongue: