PDA

View Full Version : Need help on citizenship

Owens
05-21-2007, 01:08 AM
Hey, I have a sister-in-law who is from Mexico and she came up to the states and my brother married her. I dont know when exactly as I'm not close to either my brother or my sister-in-law, but I just got this letter in the mail asking me to list reasons as to why she should be able to stay in the U.S.

I figure SOMEONE on the forum might know some valuable points I should list in my little essay in order for her to stay here in the U.S. Anyone?

urquidezj
05-21-2007, 01:56 AM
she married the guy isn't he a citizen??? she wont be a a citizen, they will give her residence, citizenship is up to her so, she has to test for it.. there is no 10 year being here law on that one because she is married to a citizen you know.. just say positive things you know..
when i turned 21 i fixed my moms papers. requested it and in 2 months she was a resident..

Owens
05-21-2007, 08:11 AM
Yeah, I meant to say Resident. I just don't know which are the best points to list to make sure she isn't deported.

marlovdus
05-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Yes you do have take the citizenship exam that they give you and it is best that she files with the immigration office as soon as she can. the longer she waits the harder it will be for her to become a citizen, it would also help establish getting a temporary residence status so she can work. Immigration laws are even harder now.

urquidezj
05-21-2007, 10:52 AM
you gonna have to call your bro u man.. you can't do it on your own cuz you might fuck it up...

urquidezj
05-21-2007, 10:56 AM
nevermind what I just said, she cannot be deported at all because she is married to a citizen. do they have kids?? only thing that is going to happen for sure is thet she will not be able to go to mexico at all, only if someone dies in her fam she has to ask for apermit to leave the cuntry. other than that, she pretty much has it made. still wouldn't hurt to ask your brother..

RicoD
05-21-2007, 03:22 PM
So this girl married a citizen of the United States and now immigration is asking questions?

Basically, a quick break down would be that all she has to do is prove that they are legally married, the spouse can provide and has sufficient funds for them, and instead of staying here for 10 years, I believe they have to stay 9/12 months of the year. (Check up on this because my memory on this area is vague, it may just be they have to reside in the States continuously which would basically mean they can't be out of the country for a period of more than a year)

After 2 years of marriage (May have change) she get's her permanent residency card. After living in the country for a minimum of 5 years (since this concerns marriage, I think there is a clause that allows her to apply when it hits 3 years ) she can apply for citizenship.