PDA

View Full Version : Just failed emissions! Even with a new Cat, help me out!

Hellasweet
05-25-2007, 05:15 PM
I failed emissions twice. I failed Corbon Monoxide and hydrocarbons. The first time I went through I got 54.00 on CO and the limit is 12.00. The weird thing is is that the second go around, I put a brand new cat on it and it did a 98.71! Even worse! That's terrible when the limit is 12.00!

My setup is a 92 civic hatch with a 2001 JDM B20 w/ gsr tranny, whale penis intake, and a 4-1, 2.5 megan racing header. The cat is a brand new magnaflow 2.5. inlet/outlet.

My results are:

Hydrocarbons(HC)grams/miles

mine = 3.40
limit is = 1.00

Carbon Monoxide (CO) grams/miles

mine = 98.71
limit = 12.00

Oxides of Nitrgoen (nox)

mine = 00.23
limit = 2.50

joel602
05-25-2007, 05:54 PM
I failed emissions twice. I failed Corbon Monoxide and hydrocarbons. The first time I went through I got 54.00 on CO and the limit is 12.00. The weird thing is is that the second go around, I put a brand new cat on it and it did a 98.71! Even worse! That's terrible when the limit is 12.00!

My setup is a 92 civic hatch with a 2001 JDM B20 w/ gsr tranny, whale penis intake, and a 4-1, 2.5 megan racing header. The cat is a brand new magnaflow 2.5. inlet/outlet.

when you have 1/4 tank of gas ... take a little bit(maybe1/4 of the bottle) of alchohol and put it in your gas tank ... IT WILL PASS!!!!

azteamextreme
05-25-2007, 06:05 PM
x2

i♥myhonda
05-25-2007, 06:12 PM
hey put 2 bottles when i passed my 4 door ahahahha and it passed

Daddy_Digital
05-26-2007, 03:18 AM
so putting rubbing alcohol in ur tank really works? anyone know why that works? imma do that shit in july, when i have to pass thru emissons

Hellasweet
06-04-2007, 12:09 PM
I'm trying to pass the right way and not use some weird stuff you get at pep boys. I got my neptune program leaned out and went in again. I got 50 instead of 98. That's an improvement but still pretty horrible for a well running honda.

I tested my cat and it is not even working. So I am going to bite the bullet and get an oem one. My sources tell me that even an old shitty oem cat works 20X better than a brand new "high flow" cat.

myegnme
06-04-2007, 12:55 PM
no no no...when you have 1/4 tank of gas. go to ace hardware and buy a big jug (1-2 gallon tin can) of "DeNatured Alcohol". I dont know about the "rubbing alcohol" but i was told to use denatured after i failed and it made me pass with flying colors. id can def. vouch for that.

18c
06-04-2007, 08:20 PM
I was having similiar problems about a couple weeks ago. i needed to pass emmisions to register my car and not have to pay a $600 ticket. Do you have a wideband on the car? I had taken it to emmisions a total of 6 times before it passed(5 on the same day). First time i took it i got almost 3x the limit in all categories.
So i did the sea foam thing and got it down to about 2x the limit and then i started leaning out he mixture a little and put in new spark plugs. On one of the test of the 5 they did some recalibration thing and i got within .08 of passing the test, but the following test on the exact same map it got like 1.5 the limit in all categories. Turns out my the guy i bought my car from had emptied out the cat, so i put on a new cat and it passed wonderfully.

Sea foam and new plugs brought it down considerably, but it sounds as if your running way way to rich or your cat isnt working? Also make sure you car is warmed up to normal operating temp. do you have black smoke coming out of your exhaust? Also if your using neptune rtp i would turn of ve fuel enrichments and make sure its running closed loop. I looked at the cat they put on my car and its pretty restrictive but it made all of the test below 10% of the limit, im not really sold on high flow cats working as well. Stock honda CATS work great, especially obd2 ones. But i couldnt fit a stock one on my car due to the collector size of my headers.

tricken
06-04-2007, 08:38 PM
are u in phx if so it is a im240 test, sounds like ur running way way rich, look at ur numbers, (get a graph when ever u fail it says so much) also make sure u sit in the car with them they like to do shaddy stuff (drive in the wrong gear, pump the gas peddle)
also do u have a egr, i am going to say no since it is a jdm motor, to test ur cat use a heat gun have a friend hold throttle at 2500 rpms u should get double to triple the heat at the back side of ur cat if not ur cat is could be dead (from running to rich) or u have it to far back on ur exhaust pipe (catco and magnaflows work good if u got the right size for ur car)

but i think ur way to rich (when ur car idles do ur eyes water at the tale pipe u might cause ur co is way way high)

i have 4 years of emissions repair background so i am not talking out of my .....

Hellasweet
06-04-2007, 09:42 PM
are u in phx if so it is a im240 test, sounds like ur running way way rich, look at ur numbers, (get a graph when ever u fail it says so much) also make sure u sit in the car with them they like to do shaddy stuff (drive in the wrong gear, pump the gas peddle)
also do u have a egr, i am going to say no since it is a jdm motor, to test ur cat use a heat gun have a friend hold throttle at 2500 rpms u should get double to triple the heat at the back side of ur cat if not ur cat is could be dead (from running to rich) or u have it to far back on ur exhaust pipe (catco and magnaflows work good if u got the right size for ur car)

but i think ur way to rich (when ur car idles do ur eyes water at the tale pipe u might cause ur co is way way high)

i have 4 years of emissions repair background so i am not talking out of my .....

I tested the cat and it wasnt even working, it's junk. I just bought an OEM gsr cat tonight and am going to put it on tomorrow.

I do not have an EGR.

I took my ECU to my tuner and he leaned the living crap out of it so running too rich shold not be a problem anymore.

Before I go back to emissions testing, I am going to swap my o2 with my brother's just to be safe. Because I know his works.

BTW - the car runs fine, gets good mileage and has good compression, and it never acts funny. It does not leak or have smoke coming from anywhere.

bmxican
06-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Trust me man, it's that EGR that will not let you pass man. If you pass without it I will be highly surprised. The EGR is what is not letting you pass.

BigBlockCrx
06-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Egr is there for nox. Whats the condition of the ignition system?

MOD's Spell Checker
06-04-2007, 10:56 PM
HC is unburnt fuel. so you were running rich. and if you got worse running the new cat then somebody sold you a shitty cat.

remember that motor setup i had? high compression with big cams and 2 liter? i took out the tuned map and put on a stock LS map and passed... easy

btw.. theres no EGR system on that motor

Hellasweet
06-05-2007, 12:25 AM
HC is unburnt fuel. so you were running rich. and if you got worse running the new cat then somebody sold you a shitty cat.

remember that motor setup i had? high compression with big cams and 2 liter? i took out the tuned map and put on a stock LS map and passed... easy

btw.. theres no EGR system on that motor

I know there is no egr on my car.

The cat I bought was brand new, never installed, came right out of the box. I am going to take it back after all this is over with.

I picked up an oem cat tonight so imma see what happens now!

Mr.Burner
06-05-2007, 12:39 AM
ya denatured will work............I'll see you tomm.

tricken
06-05-2007, 09:47 AM
it may have worked your cat but if u run rich they burn up fast new cat and lean it to death

B16offuryz
06-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Rubbing alcohol works awesome always used it on my rx7, and now with my untuned, no emissions dsm with just a cat and ahcohol it passed 3 days ago.......

Just make sure you filled ur tank back up after you passed emissions.

Daddy_Digital
06-06-2007, 12:48 AM
Rubbing alcohol works awesome always used it on my rx7, and now with my untuned, no emissions dsm with just a cat and ahcohol it passed 3 days ago.......

Just make sure you filled ur tank back up after you passed emissions.

so u should have bout 1/4 tank then put a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the tank?

Hellasweet
06-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Ok, so a little update from the last few weeks.

Went back with the car super leaned out, using the 'new' magnaflow cat and scored a 26 instead of a 96. The limit is still 12 so it's a ways off anyhow.

So I found an OEM cat ( I hear even old junky OEM cats work WAY better than high flow aftermarket cats) and I got my tuner to give me a stock program for my ecu. I went back to emissions with high hopes and the comfort of a stock program and a stock catalytic converter. I scored a 60!! WTH? I dunno.

So I have some of that "never fail emissions" alcohol crap in my gas tank right now. I am going to go back to my tuner and have him lean it the hell out again since that gave me the best results in the past. So all of those things combined better make me pass. If not, I have to take it to a waiver station, what a defeat!

bodydrop
06-25-2007, 02:28 PM
befor you go down there replace your spark plugs.

projectaccord
06-25-2007, 07:13 PM
you could be failing co's because of the person driving it too. if theyre too heavy on the gas, it will fail. if you bring it to my place ill see what i can do for you. i work at the one off of chandler and the I10

Hellasweet
06-29-2007, 10:19 AM
I finally passed!!

I scored a 1.47 and the limit is 12, im so happy!

I leaned the car out some more, got that never fail stuff and it worked!

I suspect that the cat was not getting hot enough to work and that was why my readings were so high, so before I went in to emissions I drove on the freeway about about 30 miles to make sure it was really hot. I also stood in line at emissions with my foot on the gas, holding it at 2500 rpms jsut to make sure it didnt get cold. And it seemed to work!

Sparkles
06-29-2007, 10:31 AM
Awesome Nate! That's great news. This whole emissions thing has been such a pain in the ass.

peoriab16
10-13-2007, 09:47 PM
DETAILS!!! im having trouble too. what did you do, just the never fail stuff and having the cat hot? what else did you do?

rudsone
10-13-2007, 10:53 PM
where can i get that never fail stuff you said?
im having a problem with my CO too...
mine is just barely off though 12.83

Hellasweet
10-15-2007, 12:33 AM
DETAILS!!! im having trouble too. what did you do, just the never fail stuff and having the cat hot? what else did you do?

well it has a neptune program so they leaned the hell out of the ecu. I got the neverfail stuff, plus, I plugged up a hose that goes to the IACV, I think. I cant remember which one it was, it was mounted to the intake mani

Hellasweet
10-15-2007, 12:34 AM
where can i get that never fail stuff you said?
im having a problem with my CO too...
mine is just barely off though 12.83

I just got mine at checker, it's called neverfail engine cleaner or some crap. Was like $8

kawgomoo
10-21-2007, 06:58 PM
the problem is the high flow cat, get a stock cat or certified stock replacement and itll pass.

or yeah dump alcohol in it.

jwrsns
11-27-2007, 04:06 PM
I am also having emissions issues!! Someone please help me out :(

Heres what I have:

I have an EG with a B18C1 swap with GSR ECU. Clean and perfect running engine.

I have changed the oil/oil filter
Air Filteris good
All sensors hooked up and no CEL's are on.

My exhaust system consists of a DC Header, Some sort of Cat (not sure) looks new, Cherry bomb resonator, and at the end is a Magnaflow stock looking Muffler.

I went and did the test, and failed on 2 things:

HYDROCARBONS Mine: 1.45 Limit: 0.80 FAIL

Carbon Monoxide MIne: 51.78 Limit 12.00 FAIL

Nitrogen Mine: 0.81 Limit 2.00 PASS

Test Duration : 132

I think I am running rich. What can I do to run LESS rich?

When I went in, I was using premium gas.

I see some people are putting denaturated alcohol in the gas tank to help... HOW MUCH ALCOHOL DO I PUT IN ??? If I have 1/4 of a tank...how much alcohol do I throw in??!?!

Can anyone help me out?

xxbrowndragon
11-27-2007, 04:11 PM
when you have 1/4 tank of gas ... take a little bit(maybe1/4 of the bottle) of alchohol and put it in your gas tank ... IT WILL PASS!!!!

yuppppppppppers , try that, it worked fo me, holla:thumbsup:

jwrsns
11-27-2007, 04:20 PM
K thanks.

Anyone else have more advice? I need as much as I can get

rudsone
11-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Half the bottle. Or 1/4...
but right after fill yo tank.

Get a new oem cat though...thats your problem i think.

jwrsns
11-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Ok thanks guys. If this alcohol thing doesnt work, I will go stock exahust system.

Ok so just so i know :

Is it ok to put the alcohol in my tank at home...THEN drive for 15 miles on the freeway to get the cat hot, then go to emissions??

Or should I put the alcohol in AT the emission station after I warmed the cat up.???

rudsone
11-27-2007, 04:52 PM
do it after you do the drive...on the way to the place.

jwrsns
11-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Ok, thanks rudsone, you are a very helpful guy.!

IntegraDA
11-27-2007, 05:48 PM
i work for emissions, so as far as HC and CO failure, check for a malfunctioning thermostat, over-advanced off idle timing, fouled plugs or crossed plug wires; miss-fire, make sure you have a catalyst, check to make sure your o/2 sensor isnt fouled, check the timing, check for a cracked cap or faulty rotor, check for a dirty air filter. the alcohol works usually but not when your CO's are that far out of range. you have a serious problem with your emissions systems. pm me if you want more info.

jwrsns
11-27-2007, 05:58 PM
IntegraDA you have been PM'd

eddie12
12-01-2007, 10:43 AM
i dont know how down u are but in sierra vista there is no emmisions or smog check here so u might want to register it here..good idea