PDA

View Full Version : Lifter Noise?

MichaelKnight
05-27-2007, 11:32 AM
My D16 recently started making noise that sounded like the lifters.

When I am in any gear other than first and I am putting any kind of load on the engine, either accelerating or just idleing with the A/C on, I hear what sounds like lifter noise.
I changed my oil and added synthetic ($6 a quart) and I still hear it.

Question: Are the lifters on a D16 '00 adjustable?

Question: When I advanced my timing on my distributor, did this cause the lifters to be out of sync or something? (I ask because this is pretty much the only thing I recently adjusted)

Question: I recently replaced my tranny, and put too much oil into it. I did drain the excessive fluid right away, but not sure if I drained it enough and the tranny is putting more of a load on the engine because of this excessive fluid.

DJ NeX
05-27-2007, 12:01 PM
sounds to me like you're experiencing ping.

but on a D16 you can do a valve adjustment which may help out with valvetrain noise. But it seems like the sound only happens when the motor is under load. I suggest that you RETARD that bitch before you melt a piston.

advert
05-27-2007, 12:37 PM
what are lifters?

MichaelKnight
05-30-2007, 11:37 AM
sounds to me like you're experiencing ping.

but on a D16 you can do a valve adjustment which may help out with valvetrain noise. But it seems like the sound only happens when the motor is under load. I suggest that you RETARD that bitch before you melt a piston.

Funny, because the distributor was in the retard position prior to my buddy advancing it and I started hearing the noise. - I will try it tonight, and see what it does.

ADVERT:
As far as the lifters, was that a joke or a real question? I knpw you are intelligent as far as Honda's go, so did i miss something?

DJ NeX
05-30-2007, 03:04 PM
he's being a tard. Technically honda's don' thave lifters, they have rocker arms.

MichaelKnight
05-31-2007, 04:40 PM
I did set the distributor to retard, but I still hear the noise. I am looking in my Haynes Manual for the valve adjustment.

Thanks for the help DJ Nex