PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearngs shot

my97ek
06-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Every time i lower my car down my front wheel bearings go out. I have a camber kit, fresh cv axles, stock 1.5 engine, sitting on 15" rims. I have replaced the whole rotor arm 3 times on each side. The tires are pretty bad now and when i brake it rattles to hell. it only does it when i lower it down. any suggestions? or anyone know what it may be? if i cant fix it im just gonna sell the car. :ballin:

ILIKETODRIVE
06-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Is that the only symptom? It rattles when you brake?

my97ek
06-01-2007, 07:56 PM
no, i worked at Honda of Superstition Springs and when we put it on the lift the two front tires could move pretty freely. just you could grab them and wiggle them like the lugs were loose but everything moved with it. also going about 50 the steering wheel shakes and i just had it re-aligned after lowering it. also i just had my brakes inspected so its nothing to do with the rotor or brakes. any ideas?

efcivicboy
06-01-2007, 08:42 PM
just you could grab them and wiggle them like the lugs were loose but everything moved with it. also going about 50 the steering wheel shakes and i just had it re-aligned, r u wiggling side to side or up and down?

2poor2tune
06-01-2007, 11:10 PM
yeah side to side and up and down are different things. i would just do grab another set of knuckles from the junkyard for next to nothing. make sure they dont suck

azcrx
06-02-2007, 04:50 PM
check/ replace all the bushings in the knuckle, ball joint, steering knuckle. etc. Also check your rack and pinion if that is overly worn it could cause the same symptoms

Type - O
06-02-2007, 04:55 PM
hmmmm......when i accelerate hard from abour 40 to 50 my wheels shake, but my bushing are practically not there and i did replace the torque mount, but the others mounts are kinda worn. wheel bearings or no? if i gun from about 50 and up you can feel anything. and its only when i accelerate hard

azcrx
06-02-2007, 05:00 PM
if your wheel bearings are shot it should be a contant issue not only during acceleration. Also when bearings go out it will usually start squeakin especially when your turning because of the stress.

Type - O
06-02-2007, 05:03 PM
oh....so how do you do a hand examination? shake up and down or side to side?

azcrx
06-02-2007, 06:33 PM
oh....so how do you do a hand examination? shake up and down or side to side?

what are you tring to examine for? bearings or bushings?

Type - O
06-02-2007, 07:29 PM
bearings, i know my bushing are fucked.

ILIKETODRIVE
06-02-2007, 08:13 PM
EASIEST way, from my experience, is to pull the knuckle off and visually inspect the bearing. It's easy to spot a bad wheel bearing. When I pulled both of mine off, one was cracked, the other just plain looked like ass. Also, I inspected a pair of RSX knuckles for a friend and one was obviously looking like ass and it was the one that he said was making whining/clanking/etc noises and stuff. Plus, all 3 of the bad ones spun like crap when spun by hand.

Replaced both of mine, good as new. :thumbup:

He replaced that one, good as new. :thumbup:

azcrx
06-02-2007, 08:19 PM
bearings, i know my bushing are fucked.

Well your problem is most likely bushing related then. Vibration under acceleration due to extra stess on the parts and the bushings are unable to keep everything lined up due to wear. If it isnt sqeaking or rattling your bearings should be at least decent condition. You check your bushings by moving the knuckle around by hand. If you can move it by hand then imagine hw much it moves with the weigh of your car exerting pressure on them.

Type - O
06-02-2007, 08:22 PM
ya, ok. well WOULD I ABSOLUTELY NEED a press to replace my bushings? chances are im gonna do it in my drive way.

azcrx
06-02-2007, 08:26 PM
ya, ok. well WOULD I ABSOLUTELY NEED a press to replace my bushings? chances are im gonna do it in my drive way.

No you don't need a press but i would HIGHLY reccomend it. Especially if you havent put bearings in before. To put it in withought a press you can get a socket the same size as the outer ring of the bearing and tap it into place with a hammer while holding the socket against the bearing. you can probably take off your knuckle and take it to a machine shop or some parts stores have presses and have them press it in for you. Shouldn't cost much and will save you alot of headache in case you dick up a bearing upon install.

Type - O
06-02-2007, 08:31 PM
how can you mess up a bearing when your just replacing bushings?

azcrx
06-02-2007, 08:33 PM
oops my bad. I saw bushings and though bearings. :hithead:My bad. just beat the bushings in they will be fine.

Type - O
06-02-2007, 08:38 PM
oh ok lol. ya i personally would never touch bearings

my97ek
06-03-2007, 04:19 PM
thanks for the help, when i wiggle it one is side to side and the other is kinda diagnal and side to side. im gonna try the knuckle thing and see if that works.