PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 i vtec

rum151
06-06-2007, 10:01 AM
how promising can the new 1.8 i vtec be for performance upgrades compared to the d17a2 ?

Jason.AZ1
07-26-2008, 01:27 AM
how promising can the new 1.8 i vtec be for performance upgrades compared to the d17a2 ?

are you talking about swapping it into a em2?
it would be custom mounts etc...
but I did a lil research into it when my brother first bought his 4 door civic 2008
i guess if you mod them and push them to hard they crack the blocks etc...
but they have more balls then a d17a2.. they have as much power as a ls motor but that the r18 has vtec and its a sohc

JC<3Ek
07-27-2008, 12:10 PM
what...??? you mod it and push them and they crack ??? are you serious ??? my sister just bought one last week....and she gonna drop a turbo in ??

Jason.AZ1
07-27-2008, 12:40 PM
what...??? you mod it and push them and they crack ??? are you serious ??? my sister just bought one last week....and she gonna drop a turbo in ??

I dunno man I was researching them, because before my brother bought the
2008 civic non SI I thought all 2006+ civic's had Kseries.
so when he got his and I pop the hood I was like WTF is this..
so I found out its a sohc 1.8 Ivtec r18 etc..
started to read up on it and thought about swapping into my em2 etc...
but it would cost to much and Kseries would be more easy to swap.
but when I was looking threw all the forums people said the block on the r18 is not very strong and it cracks....so......

THE ONE
08-03-2008, 04:42 PM
k series. dont buy the 1.8 for performance. regular civics are meant for fuel economy

Smoot
08-04-2008, 05:37 PM
but when I was looking threw all the forums people said the block on the r18 is not very strong and it cracks....so......

You wouldnt be able to put a r18 in a EM2 unless you did some heavily mods. All 06+ are all Drive By Wire.

The R18 is actually a very strong motor. Honda based it at 140hp and 120 trq, but dyno testing has shown its around 155-160 hp and around 135-145 trq. But it has its faults like any other motor, like the plastic intake manifiold.

But like said before, it is a economy based motor. It will completly destroy the Si in mpg. The r18 is also a very advanced motor has well. Your not giving the motor has much credit it should have ;)

I have a friend on the 8thgen board who has a turbo R18. He had cracked his motor and his dip stick melted due to all the heat produced. But if you do basic mods like DP/I/E you wont run into problems.

[C3R] Corey
08-04-2008, 05:42 PM
I <3 my r18. Lol Only filling up once driving from here to LA FTMFW.

Jason.AZ1
08-04-2008, 09:25 PM

You wouldnt be able to put a r18 in a EM2 unless you did some heavily mods. All 06+ are all Drive By Wire.

The R18 is actually a very strong motor. Honda based it at 140hp and 120 trq, but dyno testing has shown its around 155-160 hp and around 135-145 trq. But it has its faults like any other motor, like the plastic intake manifiold.

But like said before, it is a economy based motor. It will completly destroy the Si in mpg. The r18 is also a very advanced motor has well. Your not giving the motor has much credit it should have ;)

I have a friend on the 8thgen board who has a turbo R18. He had cracked his motor and his dip stick melted due to all the heat produced. But if you do basic mods like DP/I/E you wont run into problems.

Smoot
08-04-2008, 11:11 PM

my point has nothing to do with cost. Im telling you points that argue agianst your point that the r18 is weak and the head will actually crack not the block when Heavily modded, ie turbo, no2

Jason.AZ1
08-04-2008, 11:14 PM
my point has nothing to do with cost. Im telling you points that argue agianst your point that the r18 is weak and the head will actually crack not the block when Heavily modded, ie turbo, no2

you didnt say head you said motor, and by me saying it cost to much is because all the custom work and all the little/big stuff you would have to do for it to work.

Smoot
08-04-2008, 11:20 PM
you didnt say head you said motor, and by me saying it cost to much is because all the custom work and all the little/big stuff you would have to do for it to work.

I did say motor, but never stated what would crack till the 2nd respond. My point had nothign to do with the cost of putting a R18 in a EM2. I just simple stated it wouldnt work due to certian things the 06+ have that the 02-05 do not have.

Jason.AZ1
08-04-2008, 11:24 PM
I did say motor, but never stated what would crack till the 2nd respond. My point had nothign to do with the cost of putting a R18 in a EM2. I just simple stated it wouldnt work due to certian things the 06+ have that the 02-05 do not have.

dude I agree with you it wouldnt work....
and to make it work it would cost alot alot of moneys....

damn, drop it...

Smoot
08-04-2008, 11:40 PM
dude I agree with you it wouldnt work....
and to make it work it would cost alot alot of moneys....

damn, drop it...

lol I got that. Thats why I only spent a sentence on it. I was just sharing the information that people dont really know about the R18 :clapper:

Jason.AZ1
08-04-2008, 11:41 PM
lol I got that. Thats why I only spent a sentence on it. I was just sharing the information that people dont really know about the R18 :clapper:

lol