PDA

View Full Version : Fans on I/C

fivesfe
06-06-2007, 02:57 PM
I have a pretty decently big i/c, but i can feel it getting heatsoaked during very hot days while not moving. I bought to small spal fans a while back from a friend of mine that fit on my i/c perfectly.

Just wondering if anyone has put fans on their i/c and if it helped?

ef9sleeper
06-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Get a cryo kit, my buddy says his makes a huge difference.

fivesfe
06-06-2007, 03:15 PM
i want one, but im a cheapass

Shiznit
06-06-2007, 03:35 PM
make one using your windshield washer nozzle's that spray water. doesnt work as good but it works for people on a budget.

fivesfe
06-06-2007, 04:13 PM
make one using your windshield washer nozzle's that spray water. doesnt work as good but it works for people on a budget.

i did that a while back when i had my stock i/c. i was thinking of doing that. but just wondering if it would be worth it for me to put these fans on my i/c

ef9sleeper
06-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Careful with the wiper method, water dripping on a racetrack usually gets you disquallified.

Type - O
06-06-2007, 05:34 PM
id go with the fan idea, not too cheap and seems pretty effective

*inFamous*
06-06-2007, 05:39 PM
just make sure u set them up as pullers on the back. and check and see the cfm rating. if its rather low, it may not be worth the loss of surface area covered by the fan for ambient cooling.

best thing to do, mount em up, and do a test of before and after.

fivesfe
06-06-2007, 06:48 PM
just make sure u set them up as pullers on the back. and check and see the cfm rating. if its rather low, it may not be worth the loss of surface area covered by the fan for ambient cooling.

best thing to do, mount em up, and do a test of before and after.

yeah they are going to be mounted as pullers.

I am going to look up the cfm rating for them tonight. they were used on my friends i/c for his mr2, he claimed they helped quite a bit.

Big C
06-06-2007, 07:48 PM
What kind of FMIC is it?

fivesfe
06-06-2007, 08:31 PM
its a bar and plate off ebay called treadstone.

It does great for the most part, just when its extremely hot out in the day time and im not moving to much i can tell its not cooling that much. during the night it does great, i just want to have every advantage i can get.

18c
06-07-2007, 07:11 PM
it doesnt sound like a too bad idea. You could always switch to a tube and fin intercooler. I dont know where everyone gets the idea that bar and plates are better. They have less pressure drop, but that means the air is going to be hotter than a tube and fin which makes it more prone to heat soak. So in terms of efficiency they are better because they have less pressure drop, but a tube and fin cools better.

Type - O
06-14-2007, 08:15 PM
so have you done this? results?

fivesfe
06-14-2007, 08:36 PM
The car is still being put together right now, it would of been up and running by now but ive been working 12 hour days all week now. Hopefully it will be going in a couple weeks tho. Ill let everyone know how they go.